Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] why is xorg-ebeuild not installing hal
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bglxx
n00b
n00b


Joined: 14 Sep 2010
Posts: 11
Location: Cologne/Germany

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] why is xorg-ebeuild not installing hal Reply with quote

Dear list members,

I try to install xorg and see, that it needs hal to work. May be I'm reading wrong docs, but I've read, that it needs the hal daemon to work. Doc is http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml

Why did emerge not automatically install the hal daemon?

Thanks for answering this :)


Last edited by bglxx on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Posts: 1320
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By default, Xorg uses HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) to detect and configure devices such as keyboards and mice.

My interpretation is that you can make do without HAL.
I can't answer for the devs motivation, but there's a "hal" use flag on x11-base/xorg-server. Enable it and you will get hal pulled in as dependency.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 29 Feb 2008
Posts: 1017
Location: CET

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: why is xorg-ebeuild not installing hal Reply with quote

bglxx wrote:
Dear list members,

I try to install xorg and see, that it needs hal to work. May be I'm reading wrong docs, but I've read, that it needs the hal daemon to work. Doc is http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml

Why did emerge not automatically install the hal daemon?

Thanks for answering this :)


Hal was the preferred way to set up input devices in 1.6 and 1.7. The recommended way for 1.8 is using udev. Hal is deprecated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bglxx
n00b
n00b


Joined: 14 Sep 2010
Posts: 11
Location: Cologne/Germany

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: why is xorg-ebeuild not installing hal Reply with quote

sera wrote:


Hal was the preferred way to set up input devices in 1.6 and 1.7. The recommended way for 1.8 is using udev. Hal is deprecated.


Sera, thanks for this. This was my fear so I asked this list.

But unfortunately 1.8 isn't stable and I need to setup a production environment.

What do you think is the better way:

1. Use unstable 1.8

2. Use 1.7 and try to work without hal - if this is possible. Is there any how-to available?

Thanks in advance - Bernd
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Posts: 1320
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried 1.8, but it's been out for fairly long now, so I would guess that it works fairly well. 1.9 was even released recently.
Trying a few programs from unstable usually isn't a problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Posts: 10459
Location: Somewhere over Atlanta, Georgia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: why is xorg-ebeuild not installing hal Reply with quote

bglxx wrote:
But unfortunately 1.8 isn't stable and I need to setup a production environment.

What do you think is the better way:

1. Use unstable 1.8

2. Use 1.7 and try to work without hal - if this is possible. Is there any how-to available?

Thanks in advance - Bernd
Best way for stable installations is to install hal (which will happen automatigically if you enable the hal USE flag and reinstall xorg-server). Won't be the best way for the next release, but is for now. :wink:

Incidentally, the lack of the hal USE flag may indicate that you've chosen a non-optimal profile for your intended use of the computer. Are you using one of the desktop profiles? Run
Code:
eselect profile list | grep \*
if you're not sure.

- John
_________________
I can confirm that I have received between 0 and 499 National Security Letters.


Last edited by John R. Graham on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bglxx
n00b
n00b


Joined: 14 Sep 2010
Posts: 11
Location: Cologne/Germany

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: why is xorg-ebeuild not installing hal Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Best way for stable installations is to install hal (which will happen automatigically if you enable the hal USE flag and reinstall xorg-server). Won't be the best way for the next release, but is for now. :wink:

Incidentally, the lack of the hal USE flag may indicate that you've chosen a non-optimal profile for your intended use of the computer. Are you using one of the desktop profiles?

- John


Hi John,

thanks for this advise. Now I'm installing hal to have a stable system.

Have a nice day - Bernd
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bglxx
n00b
n00b


Joined: 14 Sep 2010
Posts: 11
Location: Cologne/Germany

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: why is xorg-ebeuild not installing hal Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:

Incidentally, the lack of the hal USE flag may indicate that you've chosen a non-optimal profile for your intended use of the computer. Are you using one of the desktop profiles? Run
Code:
eselect profile list | grep *
if you're not sure.

- John


No, I'm using standard profile. This happens because I've copied setup files from my typical server installaltions.

Now I use .../desktop profile.

Thanks too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 29 Feb 2008
Posts: 1017
Location: CET

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: why is xorg-ebeuild not installing hal Reply with quote

bglxx wrote:
1. Use unstable 1.8

I'm using 1.8 for many months without issues I'm aware of.

Quote:
2. Use 1.7 and try to work without hal - if this is possible. Is there any how-to available?


Hal is recommended for 1.7 and as John pointed out not hard to set up. If you want you should also be able to define your input devices as done for xservers before 1.6 (man xorg.conf of 1.3 for instance).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum