Is there any benefit in having SSE4.1 in CPUs? [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Is there any benefit in having SSE4.1 in CPUs? [solved] Reply with quote

Hi,

My notebook broke again and so I ordered a nearly cheap notebook.

Integrated intel graphics, 4500, I hope this won*t be any peace of crap, pls be able to run x smoothly !!

To my question.

I have in my main notebook an Intel T9500, penryn CPU with SSE4.1

My new notebook has an INTEL T4400, also a penryn, but only 1 mb instead of 6mb cache and also no SSE4.1 instructions. What I am curious about, are these instructions even used? And what software uses them? Ok to play videos and so on, this notebook isn*t even capeable of, because the integrated intel card is a peace of crap. Not even an onbard memory. So When these SSE4.1 instructions are only used for multimedia, I dont care, because this notebook is used as a backup node.

My plan.

My main notebook is connected via a gigabit router / switch to the new notebook with the t4400 processor and the internet.

What do you suggest to have my main notebook synronized with my backup notebook? Should I use rsync to sync the node. The basic idea is, if my main notebook breaks I could go on my other notebook. Also I want to use the second notebook as an additional screen. It would be fun, if its possible to have a seemless desktop, which could be accessed from my first notebook without a hassle.

so:

what software / architecture to use to get all data backuped in real time, maybe with a changelog instantely?
how to set up users, to have the permissions? is it enough to have the userid identical?
What software to use, to act the second notebook as an second screen from my main notebook. I use gnome environment!

Last edited by Roman_Gruber on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you compile Gentoo with -march=native -msse4.1, you should see sse4 instructions being used in just about all of the programs GCC compiles, even if they are used once or twice.

As for programs that actually benefit from the instructions in often executed sections of code, it seems that SSE4 is fairly general purpose, so it should benefit more than just multimedia applications, although multimedia applications are the best candidates in my mind for what would see the largest boost. You can read about this at the wikipedia article on SSE4:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE4
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be more precise sse 4.2 leads to (general purpose) speedups

it includes optimizations for strings (which is used almost everywhere) so it should really benefit in (almost) all situations:

SSE4: Wann bringt es wirklich mehr Speed?

4.1 is just some specific stuff ...

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oK,

SO I AM RIGHT SSE4.1 IS JUST STUFF WHICH IS MEABE IMPORTANT
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: