trouble with imagemagick and tiff
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bfdi533
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: trouble with imagemagick and tiff Reply with quote

I have media-libs/tiff (version 3.5.7-r1) and media-gfx/imagemagick (version 5.5.6) installed and when I try to convert a tiff file to, say, a png file I get the following error:

Code:
convert: TIFFLibraryIsNotAvailable (land_ocean_ice_lights_2048.tif).

I have done a re-emerge on imagemagick with the tiff library installed and still it did not detect and add in tiff support.

Update: FYI, tiff support is also missing from eog and gimp.

Please help.

Ed Davison
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

add 'tiff' to your useflags and reemerge
bfdi533
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slartibartfasz wrote:

Oh, ok. I suppose gentoo does things a bit differently than I am used to yet. I would normally that thought that being installed would be enough. I will try that, thanks.

Ed
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfdi533 wrote:
slartibartfasz wrote:

Oh, ok. I suppose gentoo does things a bit differently than I am used to yet. I would normally that thought that being installed would be enough. I will try that, thanks.

Ed

afaik it works like this - usually the ebuilds run the normal configure process of a package so u will get a default installation, so if this configure has the capability to include something if it is found and leave it out if not, i think thats exactly what will happen.

so the ebuilds will (in most cases) give u a default installation as intended by the original author of the package (who may or may not have something to do with gentoo). if u enable or disable something specifically by usflags however, gentoo takes care that it is en/disabled during the package configuration process.

to summarize: the configuration process of a package will use the original authors default unless u tell it something different by using flags. so if gimp and whatnot has tiff disabled by default u will not get it by simply emerging the tiff libraries, because gimps configuration process doesnt even atempt to look. if on the other hand u enable it in useflags, two things will happen: portage will dedect the dependency and emerge the libs and will then take care that the option is enabled during gimps configure process...

hope that clarifies it a bit...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: