searching...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrispy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: searching... Reply with quote

just a rant, really...

I'm not working in a tech related field at all, but well, some things are just "too much" for me to cope with :

"Christopher, I cannot find the file with the market statistics you made today"
"Hey, do you know where i can find the list of cell phone numbers of all our brokers ?"

or

calling at 23:47 "hey, i bought this mouse device and now I cannot access the office mail system anymore. where can i find a driver for that?"

"where do you find all the info on that topic?"

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH !!!!

use the bloody search tools ! use google, use msn if you will, use the damn F3 key on Windows but before asking idiotic question, for Christ's sake SEARCH BY YOURSELF !

RAHHHHHHHHH

>end of rant

what makes it so difficult for people to use all the available searching tools ? they know it's there, but they don't use it

it seems that the only thing they use the search engines for is to look up a map for the restaurant they are going to tonight ! this drives me insane :x
ragnoroc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is actually really simple.

These people are f--king lazy. They prefer just to call someone with the answer then have to do work to find out the answer for themselves.

I am going to make a broad generalization since this is a rant. These people are windows users aren't they?

I get windows questions all the time from people at work, parents, friends and friends of friends' friends. Finally I just started telling everyone I don't actually use windows and I could care less about their problems. It seemed to stop the questions.

Now if I want to help someone I just go on to a linux forum and answer some questions. I know you are at least putting the effort forth if the question is well formed and in the correct forum.

That's just my 6.587 cents worth.
mxskweeb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I won't respond with the well worn reminder that, "using computers is not their job/hobby/passion; they just use them and want them to work." I sense a legitimate complaint that goes beyond the lack of technical savvy in the masses to just expecting common sense—like knowing how to change a flat tire, even though you are not a mechanic, just because you drive a car.

On the other hand, I believe these people simply lack a certain mentality that the technically savvy possess. If you were to look at their lives you would probably find that they don't exert the problem solving muscles in other areas either. I think as geeks (or whatever) we operate with the basic belief that regarding problems where the tools are at our disposal, we can always figure out how to fix them. For the first few years I worked in technical support that was the only thing that set me apart from the people I supported. Frequently, I didn't initially know how to solve their problems any more than they did. But I did know that computers are systemic, and that by analysis, logic, intuition and process of elimination, eventually I could solve their problems.

I have no point to what I am saying; it's just a theory I've picked up. It's just kind of an interesting way to look at "us vs. them." Someone told me about a Dilbert cartoon where Dilbert informs the mother of a young man that her son has "the knack" and she breaks down and cries. I think we all know the life we're doomed to by manifesting "the knack." We will always be the ones getting the phone calls.
ragnoroc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree it is a lack of common sense.

Yes we do have the knack and by having that I have solved some of my problems.

Like getting an unlisted cell phone and only telling a few people the number. This gets rid of the pestering phone calls of computer questions. It also kills off all those telemarketers.

Kill TELE-MARKETERS. they all need to die. Calling at 9 am. Who do they think is awake? I work a second shift computer job. I go to sleep at 4am.
chrispy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not working in IT, and I'm not employed as an IT guy (I'm a broker for ships) and well, I might be more tech savvy than the others, but it expands to more than just computer searches... be it "what's the size of the hatches on this ship" and nonetheless they have a ship registry book in front of them where they could look it up, or simply check our own database.

It seems that people are simply not willing to make the effort to search for their own answers anymore.

I mean fine, I'm the youngest broker here, and it's kinda my duty to gather all the info for the seniors, but when it comes to stupid stuff that is right in front of their nose, I just don't get it. How much of an effort is that to open up a book and look up the specs of a vessel ? how hard is it to use F3 on windows and type in a keyword of what you want to know ?
gabe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: searching... Reply with quote

chrispy wrote:
what makes it so difficult for people to use all the available searching tools ? they know it's there, but they don't use it

I am not sure, but I would guess it is the same thing that makes power users ask a question on a forum before reading the manual...
ColeSlaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that people are really just trying to take advantage of somebody's good will. If their car broke down, do you think they would ask their mechanic friend to fix it for free? If their sink is clogged, do they call up a buddy who is a plumber and ask them to fix it for free? If your dog breaks his leg do you call up a guy you know who is a vet and ask him to fix it for free?

NO, because those people would refuse to do it for free. That's their job, and if they give it away for free, they'll starve. So here's my solution. Tell them it will cost them. Put a price on it every time and they'll be less likely to ask you. And if they do you'll make money.

Am I a prick? Yes... Am I a prick with free time and extra beer money? Yes :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: