knetworkmanager on Campus WLAN University of Twente
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalleRIM
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: knetworkmanager on Campus WLAN University of Twente Reply with quote

Hi,

I am stuck with trying to get knetworkmanager working for the WLAN of my university. Gnome's nm-applet works just fine.
The University uses dynamic WEP with tunneled TLS and PAP as inner authentication method. I can set up a connection but when I try to connect nothing happens.
I am not looking for alternatives to NetworkManager or any non-KDE/Qt clients for NetworkManager because I already have a working one connection. I am just looking for a pure KDE/Qt solution so I can uninstall the Gnome stuff I still got on my laptop.
I am not the only one having this problem so this is not Gentoo specific.
Does anyone have any suggestions how to debug or even solutions? Or is knetworkmanager just not capable of connecting to such networks?[/topic]
rainer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not the answer you want to hear but my experience with multiple machines (my own and my kids), travelling international, university campus and using UMTS clearly says that only nm-applet works. Ditch the KDE thing! I guess that it will be easy enough to transfer your working connection(s) to nm-applet.

I'm a great fan of KDE and using it on all my machines. The networkmanager frontend, however, is very far from mature, as far as I can see.

Rgds,
Rainer
MalleRIM
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now filed a bug report on kde.org. I hope it will get fixed. But thanks anyway for your answer ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: