ALSA is still too quiet
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qylvaran
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: ALSA is still too quiet Reply with quote

I originally posted this in another thread where someone was having a similar problem, but nobody responded. I'm hoping it was because of the big [solved] tag in the subject line and not because nobody has a clue how to help me.

I'm having trouble getting my sound working properly after a recent gentoo install. In alsamixer, it only lists Master and PCM. With both of these maxed (and unmuted, of course) and my speakers all the way up, I can get some normal, listenable volume, but my speakers buzz when I move my mouse, and I'm sure it's not good for them.

Code:
# lspci |grep Audio
00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
02:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc R700 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4000 Series]

The nVidia one is the one I actually use, and it appears to be the default card. I have the ATI one ready in case I start using HDMI.
Code:
<*>   Intel HD Audio  --->
[*]   Build ATI HDMI HD-audio codec support
[*]   Build NVIDIA HDMI HD-audio codec support
[*]   Enable generic HD-audio codec parser

Code:
# emerge -pv alsa-firmware alsa-headers alsa-tools alsa-utils alsa-plugins alsa-lib

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-sound/alsa-headers-1.0.21  0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] media-sound/alsa-firmware-1.0.20  ALSA_CARDS="maestro3 ymfpci -aica -asihpi -darla20 -darla24 -echo3g -emi26 -emu1212 -emu1616 -emu1820 -gina20 -gina24 -hdsp -hdspm -indigo -indigoio -korg1212 -layla20 -layla24 -mia -mixart -mona -msnd-pinnacle -pcxhr -sb16 -usb-usx2y -vx222 -wavefront" 3,663 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.21a  USE="python -alisp -debug -doc" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] media-sound/alsa-tools-1.0.21  USE="gtk -fltk" ALSA_CARDS="emu10k1x -darla20 -darla24 -echo3g -emu10k1 -gina20 -gina24 -hdsp -hdspm -ice1712 -indigo -indigoio -layla20 -layla24 -mia -mixart -mona -pcxhr -rme32 -rme96 -sb16 -sbawe -sscape -usb-usx2y -vx222" 1,520 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.21-r1  USE="nls -doc -minimal" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] media-plugins/alsa-plugins-1.0.21  USE="-debug -ffmpeg -jack -libsamplerate -pulseaudio -speex" 319 kB

Total: 6 packages (3 new, 3 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 5,501 kB

Would installing any of those three packages or adding/subtracting USE flags help? I'd also like to have my microphone jack available as an option, and it isn't right now.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the most recent ALSA version...
Qylvaran
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the latest unstable kernel (2.6.32-gentoo-r5) to see if that had a more recent ALSA, but it didn't help any. I'd like to avoid using the alsa-driver package if at all possible. Is that all anyone is going to tell me until I try it out?
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need alsa-firmware, alsa-tools or alsa-plugins.

And the alsa-driver package is for people who want to try latest upstream and see if it helps out, so yah, I'd say this is the right scenario. :)

Edit: Oh, yes, of course .. try 1.0.22 first.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: