Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to make 3 partitions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: How to make 3 partitions Reply with quote

Gentoo 1.2 from 135mb ISO

Please! Can someone give me an easy steps, how do I make three partitions
with fdisk. Partitions should be : 1. Boot 100mb 2. swap 500mb 3. ext 20gb

Thank you. And one question at the end : Does Xfree86 4.2.0 came from that CD? Do you think this will works -> : I mount from windows-disk FluxBox 0.1.9 and install xf86 4.2? :lol:
Shak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok

Code:

# fdisk
   <press m to see help>
   <press p to print new partition table>
   <delete all partitions with "d" and then the number>
   <press n to create a new partiton>
   <press p to make a primary partition>
   <press 1 to make it the 1st>
   <press 1 to make it start at block 1>
   <type 100M to make it 100MB>
   <repeat steps for the other partitions, change the "100M" figure accordingly for other sizes>

Shak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, and to install Xfree86 + fluxbox just use

Code:

emerge --pretend fluxbox
<list of needed files, xfree will be here>
emerge fluxbox

Shak
Shak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
oh yeah, and to install Xfree86 + fluxbox just use

Code:

emerge --pretend fluxbox
<list of needed files, xfree will be here>
emerge fluxbox

Shak

d'oh forgot to login, you can have a look to see whether the new fluxbox has been added, if not then Id be inclined to wait..

Shak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know what fluxbox is how can you not know how to partion your drive ? :P Ok enough with the sarcasm....

From you post it is difficult to discern exactly what it is you need to know....
Generally one uses fdisk to create parttions under linux, there are probably others, having only used fdisk-it works fine for me. Fdisk comes with the gentoo boot CD(have you read the x86 Install HOWTO ?-if not check 'Documentation' on this sitehttp://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/build.xml....)

Once you have booted with the gentoo CD one must either create new partions of mount preexisting ones for the install. I take it that you have more than one drive-
'fdisk /dev/hda'
will bring you into fdisk looking at your *first* phsysical hard drive(/dev/hdb)=second), now pressing 'p' in order to see the partion table -this will show you which partions are already there and whether there is space for any new partions..

If there is space, or the drive is *new*(unpartioned) press 'l'(lowercase 'L') to list known partion types-make a note of the two-digit hex number which corresponds to the partion type you wish to create(82 for swap/83 for ext2 etc..-my lastt reiser fs vanished ina puff of logic-(ext2is tired, old and grumpy-but works.(for me))), having noted the hex number now press 'n' to create a new partion-you will then be prompted with a few questions -take your time answering them(remember until you press 'w' you are safe, you can press 'q' at any point and start over...

first you will enter 'p' or 'l' to create either a primary or logical partion then you choose how big should be (+M for megabytes) and you are on the way to creating your partion-when finished and your are very, very, very sure that you have the new partions you wan and that you have not deleted any partions which you need (read important) press 'w' et voila! c'est fini...

now you have to format the newly made partions(use mkdir to create mount points(ie.
mkdir /mnt/gentoo
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
and then
mount /dev/hdxy /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/hdxz /mnt/gentoo/boot

(where x=a/b/c/d(first/second/third/fourth phyiscal dirve) and y=0-9 for your numbered partion(remember fdisk with 'p') then you need to run the programs for formatting your newly created partions...

read http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/build.xml and print it out *before* starting the install process...

For more info on fdisk read the man page. If you wish to create the partitions for linux from outside of linux, for example -prior to installing linux in the first place, you can also use a commercial app. named partition magic(it writes type 82(swap) and 83(ext2)-with this program you can resize your partions, including NTFS partitons..but be carefull, one can easily overdo it with this program and once the partion complexity gets to high you cant exactly get out of the situation without reformating.

hope this helped
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: