Postfixadmin won't create maildirs - even with mail sent [S]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Frankenbox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Postfixadmin won't create maildirs - even with mail sent [S] Reply with quote

I'm new to mail server administration, and I'm trying to set up a mail server with postfix + courier + postfixadmin + squirrelmail. I was able to get the config set so that Courier sees the user database created by postfixadmin and I can log into squirrelmail with accounts created in postfixadmin, but since Postfixadmin won't create the maildirs for new mailboxes, when I log into squirrelmail on a new account, I get this:

ERROR: Could not complete request.
Query: SELECT "INBOX"
Reason Given: Unable to open this mailbox.

and this:

ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
Query: SUBSCRIBE "INBOX.Sent"

I can see from looking at other threads that postfixadmin won't create the maildir until mail is sent to the new mailbox, but I have it set to send a welcome message when creating a mailbox. However, when I do create a mailbox, I don't get a message telling me that the mailbox was created. I only get:

The mailbox has been added to the mailbox table!
(webmaster@animenebraskon.com

What could be causing this?

Last edited by Dr. Frankenbox on Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postfixadmin doesn't have anything to do with creating mailboxes. That should be done by your mail server software (whatever's handling SMTP - or whatever that hands mals to for local delivery).

I would check that your mail server is correctly recieving mail (send it one from another server) and correctly delivering it to mailboxes (check the logs - you may want to increase the log verbosity if you can't see anything useful initially)
Dr. Frankenbox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure if I can send it a message from another server because this server is going to replace an existing one, with the same domain. I can't let it connect with public email servers, lest it interrupt mail delivery for the current server. I also have no idea how to tell if it's receiving mail correctly or even how the mailboxes are supposed to be structured because I haven't set up an email server before. I'm discovering that it's hideously complex compared to a webserver or a fileserver.
b0nafide
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there always is connecting with telnet or netcat on port 25 to your new mail server. You can send as many test messages as you like this way.
Dr. Frankenbox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't figure out how to get the server to respond by using telnet, but I have sent mail to one of my mailboxes using the sendmail command, and no mail directories get created.
Dr. Frankenbox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I got it working. I went through and checked my config against this : http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Virtual_mail_server_using_Postfix,_Courier_and_PostfixAdmin and discovered that I was both missing some use flags and had my vmail configuration wrong. I still don't think this needs to be so complex, but at least it's working now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: