Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[RESOLVED] NFS mount implicitly squashed?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knifeyspoony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: [RESOLVED] NFS mount implicitly squashed? Reply with quote

Hi,

Our problem arose when we upgraded to a new version of Wine to gain compatibility with a Windows program. The new version checks that its working directory is owned by the executing user. If it isn't, then Wine refuses to run.

We mount home directories over NFS. When we export, we squash root only -- we don't squash all. Yet from the clients' points of view, users' home directories are always owned by nobody/nogroup (65534/65534). I believe nothing in our exports or fstabs would cause that.
Code:
#Client /etc/fstab line
192.168.1.1:/   /FileServer     nfs4    proto=tcp,sec=sys,hard,intr,rsize=3276800
Code:
#Server /etc/exports
/home/nfs-export/       192.168.1.0/24(rw,fsid=0,root_squash,sync)

My only idea: Because /home/nfs-export is root-owned on the server filesystem, all its subdirectories look root-owned to the client upon export. (The home directory that the client mounts is actually /home/nfs-export/Users/username). So does the client's fstab need explicit, nested mounts of each individual home directory? Or how else should I proceed?

Last edited by knifeyspoony on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the output of ls -la ~ for one of the affected users?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're using nfsv4

for nfsv4 you need a default root directory and then, you can add subdirectories in it to share them (and alter their access, rights...)
so you need at min 2 entries in /etc/exports like
/home/nfs-export <- will be use as your root nfst, this can also be change but rules are special for that one
/home/nfs-export/clients <- now you can pass things to it as 192.168.1.0/24(rw...blahblah) for your clients.

reread nfsv4 manual.
knifeyspoony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
What is the output of ls -la ~ for one of the affected users?

server:~# ls -lad ~tina
drwx--S--- 28 tina People 4096 2009-12-03 09:32 /home/nfs-export/FileServer/Users/tina
server:~$ ls -ladn ~tina
drwx--S--- 28 1053 9000 4096 2009-12-03 09:32 /home/nfs-export/FileServer/Users/tina

client:~$ ls -lad ~tina
drwx--S--- 28 nobody nogroup 4096 2009-12-03 09:32 /FileServer/Users/tina
client:~$ ls -ladn ~tina
drwx--S--- 28 65534 65534 4096 2009-12-03 09:32 /FileServer/Users/tina

Ownership is similarly mangled for each file inside the directory.

krinn wrote:
for nfsv4 you need a default root directory and then, you can add subdirectories in it to share them

Thank you, though I couldn't find any manual content under nfs, nfsd, exports, or exportfs to tell me that what you describe is mandatory or even recommended. The exports man page has an example conf file with that kind of structure, but that's it.

I still proceeded with your suggestion. Unfortunately, what I changed (new /etc/exports printed below) did not help us.
/home/nfs-export server(rw,crossmnt)
/home/nfs-export/FileServer 192.168.1.0/24(rw,fsid=0,root_squash,sync)
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knifeyspoony wrote:
to tell me that what you describe is mandatory or even recommended.

doc: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3530.txt (see section 7)
example: http://www.brennan.id.au/19-Network_File_System.html#nfs4 (and glad for you, the example even export /home)
knifeyspoony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn, did I do something incorrectly? My new exports didn't fix it.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do on server
Code:
exportfs -v

the fsid=0 must be your server root, so /home/nfs-export server(fsid=0) but not /home../FileServer
knifeyspoony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved fsid=0 to the "root" line and rebooted and server and clients. None of the users could mount their home directories upon login, so I had to change it back.
knifeyspoony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Resolution Reply with quote

The serendipity of an Xorg crash led me to syslog, which contained messages of this form:
Code:
nss_getpwnam: name '0' does not map into domain 'localdomain'

There were two problems:

1. On the NFS server, /etc/hostname did not contain the FQDN, just the local hostname.
2. This particular client had an unconfigured /etc/idmapd.conf. It had Domain = localdomain instead of Domain = FQDN-minus-hostname.

Thanks,
ks
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon me if I'm getting too simple here. Are you running idmapd on both client and server, with matching configurations?

I run nfsv4 on my home server, exporting /home to my client machines. I have no troubles whatsoever with ownership of any of the directories, and I do have root squashed, by the way. But if there's anything wrong with idmapd, either misconfiguration or not running, you'll get exactly what you describe. Plus idmapd is not a normal feature of nfsv3 - it's specific to nfsv4, and therefore not "normal."

If this rings a bell, I can look more at my home configuration later this evening or tomorrow evening to help. I also had a time a while back where idmapd didn't start right the first time, so I restarted it in rc.local.
knifeyspoony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, but the problem was resolved when I changed the server's hostname file and the idmapd.conf on those clients that needed it fixed. We are still running NFS4 with root squashed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: