Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I've always wanted to install and use Gentoo, ............
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onederer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: I've always wanted to install and use Gentoo, ............ Reply with quote

I never could get the hang of properly installing it. At my age, I guess that I'll never get the feel of running Gentoo. By the time that the compiling is over, I'll be six feet under. Too bad that Gentoo doesn't provide a version that can be run "live" and also installable. I would really need a mentor to be able to get this running. I have too many questions, and few means to get the answers. I've always wanted a rolling distro, but too many gaps in my knowledge to make this a reality.

I'm kind of leery to ask questions, because I've been flamed too many times for being an old geezer with a short memory.
I don't retain very well what I read (RTFM), but respond and retain very well to questions and answers. Once I've done it, then there is no problem in repetition and understanding it.

Looks like I'll have to depend on Sabayon Linux to get the feel of Gentoo. It makes a pretty good front-end for Gentoo Linux. Sabayon also reminds me of DesktopBSD. That BSD is based on FreeBSD. It is a smooth well oiled front-end for FreeBSD. Too bad that it was abandoned in Sept. of 2009, by it's developer. Any takers to pick it up and revive it?

Yep I got lost somewhere at the beginning of the Gentoo installation, when I was trying to make installation instructions that I read, equal to what I have here. My setup is that I have Win** on sda1, PCLinuxOS on sda2, and ??? on sda3 (external 1TB hard drive plugged into a USB hard drive adapter (toaster)). Each OS has it's own separate hard drive. That leaves plenty of room for expansion. The live DVD had nothing on it that indicated that it was installable, or that it could be used for installation. I got lost with the "minimal install" and what to do with it. I was looking for a command that said "install" or something of that kind. I guess that my masochistic tendencies run on a very low level! I had to walk away.

Cheers!
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@onederer, have you even looked at the Gentoo Handbook? From you description of looking around for an "install" command, it doesn't really seem so. Why don't you read that and, if you don't understand something, come back here and ask? There are a lot of friendly folks here who'll be willing to help.

C'mon; I dare you: ask your first question. I think you'll be happy with the result. :)

- John

Last edited by John R. Graham on Wed May 19, 2010 9:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
hedmo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know what your mean. for you like me i start with the amd2008 livecd.the gtk installer it is not stable.but it should work.this is a good way just to get the gentoo feeling :wink:

Last edited by hedmo on Wed May 19, 2010 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jimini
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really understand what you mean. I tried my first Gentoo-setup 4 or 5 years ago and it took about two weeks see the prompt of my first own Gentoo-installation. The official installation-guide is a great help to get Gentoo installed, so read it carefully. Don't make your setup too complex - a standard partition-scheme, genkernel and single-boot should be enough for the first steps ;)
And don't be frustrated, if your kernel doesn't want to boot after the installation - that's almost usual. Fortunately, Gentoo has an excellent community, so just feel free to ask for help. Why don't you start here with asking for help? :)

And - of course it takes more time to get some packages installed on Gentoo than on a binary distribution. In my opinion, this disadvantage is more than compensated with the flexiblity coming with a construct named "use flag". Gentoo is not a distribution for people with an allergy against manuals - it is complex and costs some effort to be "mastered". Perhaps now you'll understand why a graphic installer does not really fit into a Gentoo-installation.

Best regards,
Jimini
Mousee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedmo wrote:
i know what your mean. for you like me i start with the 2008 livecd.the gtk installer it is not stable.but it should work.this is a good way just to get the gentoo feeling :wink:

I couldn't disagree more. The "Gentoo Feel" has nothing to do with point-and-click installations that LiveCD/LiveDVD's in the past have attempted to implement. Rather a typical Gentoo install, as well as maintenance, focuses on providing you, as a user, with the ability to create the system as you see fit. The basics for which are outlined in the Installation Handbook and further in other available Gentoo documentation. Besides that - the fact that all of the LiveCD's/DVD's have had their share of issues - most of which involves breaking/destroying existing partitions on the system and/or failure to install packages. Therefore I cannot recommend using a Gentoo LiveCD/DVD without first introducing you to the potential of greater pains than a minimal CD install via the handbook offers.

My advice, if you would prefer a graphical environment to work in, especially to access the Gentoo Handbook (graphically) during install, would be to Google for and download the "SystemRescueCD". It's based off of Gentoo, has sufficient and quite current hardware detection, and will allow you to properly install Gentoo as illustrated in the handbook. If you prefer a "Graphical, point-and-click" installation - then I do indeed recommend trying another distribution of Linux such as Sabayon or Ubuntu. From there you may either find such a distribution to your liking - or not.
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I've always wanted to install and use Gentoo, .......... Reply with quote

onederer wrote:
I'm kind of leery to ask questions, because I've been flamed too many times for being an old geezer with a short memory.

Oh, hopefully that's not an issue on these forums. Anyway, I think you can find people here who would be happy to help, and just asking would be the best first step IMHO. :wink:

onederer wrote:
Looks like I'll have to depend on Sabayon Linux to get the feel of Gentoo.

From what I've seen it's really close to Gentoo. It seems one can even use emerge and all the tools.

onederer wrote:
I was looking for a command that said "install" or something of that kind.

There was that joke that one can install Gentoo with just two commands (and the second one was "reboot"). :lol:

Anyway, if you're ready for some reading, I have something for you: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=1. If you have any questions, just ask.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from 1927.
I use Gentoo to keep my brain exercised and because I got fed up with "point and click" distro's.
The rescuecd in my sig is a very good one for installing Gentoo.
I also use Gimp to enhance photo's I take etc.
As for short memory that's something I'm familiar with.It's what comes with aging.
But one develops tricks to get by.
And don't worry about flaming:The moderators are very keen on that.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
hedmo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mousee wrote: I couldn't disagree more.

i agree with you but if a person want to try gentoo and get the feeling about gentoo it is not the install of gentoo otherwise there should
only be a stage 1 install.please correct if i am wrong .the amd2008 livecd and the gtk installer provides a standard gentoo install with a genkernel and xorg thats all.
it will boot up correctly and leeve you in a console with the login,then you can build your gentoo and try what its all about.the hardest thing in gentoo
for a newbe is the install and the /etc/make.conf file .after that gentoo has the powerful portage that makes it more easy to build your OS

onederer

thats how i started with gentoo but i still use the livecd because it has a graphic Environment and firefox that makes it easy to get the gentoo handbook
via firefox and using a terminal to drag and drop the commands to and doing a kernel via make menuconfig.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a dedicated box boot it up with some CD and give me SSH access. I'll install the base system, would be great deal of fun for me. :D I will not mess with multi-boot.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from krinn:
To: distrowatch
subject: New gentoo livecd release finally with an installer ! codename Jaglover.

:)

There's a difference between
Quote:
I don't retain very well what I read

And not reading the manual.

Because the gentoo manual is just a step by step instructions.
Mousee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedmo wrote:
Mousee wrote: I couldn't disagree more.

i agree with you but if a person want to try gentoo and get the feeling about gentoo it is not the install of gentoo otherwise there should
only be a stage 1 install.please correct if i am wrong .the amd2008 livecd and the gtk installer provides a standard gentoo install with a genkernel and xorg thats all.
it will boot up correctly and leeve you in a console with the login,then you can build your gentoo and try what its all about.the hardest thing in gentoo
for a newbe is the install and the /etc/make.conf file .after that gentoo has the powerful portage that makes it more easy to build your OS

I assure you there's more than ample proof, on these forums and others, that none of the LiveCD's will always provide you with a working system. If the LiveCD or DVD has worked for you then great! But please don't advocate its usage to a Gentoo newbie without at least first informing them of its known history to not work as intended and the potential of data loss.

If someone wants to get a "feel" for how Gentoo works before fully committing to an install - then their best bet would be to install Gentoo into either a chroot on an existing Linux distro or into a Virtual Machine environment. In this way the potential for inadvertent data loss is kept minimal (if it exists at all even). This way a user has a better idea of the steps involved during both the initial installation process as well as post-install procedures (ie. getting a GUI setup and working).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: