Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What's the point of Conky?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you bother minimising a window to look at Conky?
Yes
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
I have a dedicated monitor for Conky
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I have enough screen area that I don't need to cover up Conky
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 14

ScOut3R
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: What's the point of Conky? Reply with quote

So, what's the point of Conky? I remember using it 10 odd years ago. Nowadays I'm back on Linux as my main desktop OS and I kinda miss Conky but never bothered to set it up again.

Why? When I'm using my desktop then I'm using it. I'm not sitting in front of it to stare at the desktop background and watching Conky. I'm using apps, full screen for productivity. So I ended up putting some of the info I used Conky for in the taskbar where I can see them, but they take up a lot of horizontal space.

What's your thought about this?

Cheers,
Mate
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People with a bigger monitor do not have to run everything "fullscreen for productivity".

Political Correctness is all about replacing imaginary injustice with real injustice.
ScOut3R
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you mind elaborating on how big is big enough? I think this is all personal. I have a 24" which may or may not be considered as big, but I'm not comfortable with cutting off the edge of the screen, yet.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound like an ever complaining dude. I'm just interested in other's opinions. To be honest I can't remember how I used Conky before, but I definitely used it. Too bad I've lost my configuration.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if you want me to add an "I have enough screen area that I don't need to cover up Conky" option to your poll.

- John
ScOut3R
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Let me know if you want me to add an "I have enough screen area that I don't need to cover up Conky" option to your poll.

- John

Thank you, I'd appreciate that!
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done.
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't vote because I don't use Conky. I'm commenting here because viewing similar state-monitoring tools is indeed a big deal to me. The desktop is something I see only when first starting KDE or when switching to an unused or lightly used virtual desktop; otherwise it is soon covered with dozens of windows. Almost never do I maximize windows: that "big-enough-monitor" concern does not apply in my case at all. What I find much more useful is the ability to glance from one window to another.

What that means is that desktop widgets are useless to me. What would be much better are status-panel-based widgets which display a summary of information on the panel and more information in a flyout window or menu when clicked on. The status panel, at least, is always visible.

KDE 3 was better on this front than newer KDE's. For example, KDE 3 had a really nice RSS reader for the status panel.

A thing I do when setting up any new desktop is to move the taskbar from the lower status panel to the left edge of the screen. I find the default configuration to be close to useless: taskbar in the horizontal the status panel where it takes up a lot of space and soon becomes unusably crowded. The space I save is now available for the always-visible monitors. The taskbar itself goes to an auto-hiding panel where the vertical orientation is a better fit for the horizontal window-oriented items that have room to fly out on the right.

The idea for this setup came from my use of Rick Yoder's Taskbar, a screen widget for OS/2. I've always wanted to find an application that would do what that taskbar does so easily--and without the funny fiddling necessary to make the taskbar work right in a KDE auto-hide panel. (Ah, the auto-hide function is something that does not always work well with Plasma 5.)
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get into having 2-3 24"+ Monitors side by side, you can have it off to the side and not worry about covering it up too often.

As far as usage, I tend to monitor my system's stats, more of a couple reasons. The main one I monitor is my memory usage when updating, as I don't have swap enabled and I have everything compiled in tmpfs; so I keep an eye out for the rare time that my memory usage gets to 50% usage or more (on average, I tend to see it around 10-25%).

Otherwise, I loosely monitor my cpu usage, more of when I think something is hogging the cpu when nothing should. Temp monitoring on my system is pretty much useless, as the sensors don't report the actual temperatures.
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like miket I didn't vote because I don't used Conky. However I do use KDE Plasmoids, or Plasma Widgets, or whatever they're called these days. I quite often do minimise or move a window to look at plasmoids (Notes, System Load Viewer, and Network Monitor), although I often instead use a keyboard shortcut to rotate the KDE Plasma Desktop Cube to look at the widgets on another Desktop Cube face rather than minimise or move a window. Actually, I removed one of the Plasma widgets (Thermal Monitor) from the Desktop and put it on the KDE Panel instead so that I can keep an eye on CPU, GPU and HDD temperatures at all times.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

virtual desktops... flip to one that is sparingly populated.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miket wrote:
KDE 3 was better on this front than newer KDE's. For example, KDE 3 had a really nice RSS reader for the status panel.

A quick search using GHNS for Plasma 5 reveals 3 RSS reader widgets. So...

On topic: I don't waste time watching system stats - if that is even remotely required it indicates a broken system to me, that needs to be fixed either on configuration or hardware level. Alarm going off when some threshold is exceeded is perfectly enough.
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I prefer tiling window managers. My first choice, i3wm, comes with i3bar. i3blocks is an improved version that does more or less the same thing.

You would probably be interested in tiling window managers and their status line programs. Most tiling window managers seem to use status lines because they are more concise, and the point of a tiling window manager is to make efficient use of screen real estate. However back when I used Gnome 2 I remember it was possible to add a widget to the desktop bars that displayed system information with graphs.
ScOut3R
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
virtual desktops... flip to one that is sparingly populated.

This idea just popped to my mind while I started reading your reply.
ScOut3R
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
miket wrote:

A quick search using GHNS for Plasma 5 reveals 3 RSS reader widgets. So...

On topic: I don't waste time watching system stats - if that is even remotely required it indicates a broken system to me, that needs to be fixed either on configuration or hardware level. Alarm going off when some threshold is exceeded is perfectly enough.

While I completely agree with your statement I kinda like to take a look at the stats. I regularly check on the monitoring system at work just to see all those green feedback signals.

I think that having Conky on a separate virtual desktop (like mentioned before) is like having the monitoring system open on a browser tab. It just takes a different keyboard shortcut to get there.
ScOut3R
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R0b0t1 wrote:
Hello,

I prefer tiling window managers. My first choice, i3wm, comes with i3bar. i3blocks is an improved version that does more or less the same thing.

You would probably be interested in tiling window managers and their status line programs. Most tiling window managers seem to use status lines because they are more concise, and the point of a tiling window manager is to make efficient use of screen real estate. However back when I used Gnome 2 I remember it was possible to add a widget to the desktop bars that displayed system information with graphs.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely give i3wm a try! I was a big fan of Fluxbox before and watching a few videos on i3wm brought back some memories.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: