Pinnacle PCTV Rave sound issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesse_132
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Pinnacle PCTV Rave sound issues Reply with quote

I just purchased a Pinnacle PCTV Rave ($20 Compusa) and have been slowly getting it to function under Gentoo. I compiled the i2c stuff in (not as modules) and compiled the bttv driver as a module. Then comes the fun part, trying to figure out the settings.

Instructions for configuring kernel

The best way to test I found was to setup xawtv to have your settings, for me this meant that the /etc/X11/xawtvrc file to be:

Code:
[global]
freqtab = us-cable

[defaults]
input = television
norm = ntsc

[VCR]
channel=4
key=F1

For the best of my knowledge, their are TWO magic numbers that you need to set correctly to get your card to work with the BTTV driver: bttv card # and tuner type.

From my testing, it seems like even if the card # is set incorrectly, the card will somewhat function (no audio). So first I setting the card # to one of the possiblities in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/video4linux/bttv/CARDLIST

The following looked promising, with 39 looking the best as the box said "Pinnacle PCTV Rave":
Quote:
card=0 - *** UNKNOWN/GENERIC ***
card=1 - MIRO PCTV
card=11 - MIRO PCTV pro
card=39 - Pinnacle PCTV Studio/Rave
card=52 - Pinnacle PCTV Studio Pro

Then I create a script to try to figure out what tuner to use:
Code:
for i in `seq 0 100`; do
        modprobe tuner type=$i
        modprobe bttv card=39 pll=0
        echo tuner = $i bttv = 39
        xawtv
        rmmod bttv tuner
done;

This script basically tries every possible tuner #, loads the modules, then launches xawtv. Since we set up xawtvrc to have F1 be code for the VCR channel, I just hit F1, and if it works :) if not, hit ESCAPE, and it will try the next possible tuner.

For me, the magic number was 33. So now I had a pretty good guess for what my tuner was.

And my guess of 39 "seemed" to be working for the card #. But unfortunately when I hooked up the audio out of the card to some speakers (bypassing any possible wierd "line-in" mixing problems!) sound didn't work.

So I modified the script above to try and set the card # differently and see if audio works . . .

Code:
for i in `seq 0 100`; do
        modprobe tuner type=33
        modprobe bttv card=$i pll=0
        echo tuner = 33 bttv = $i
        xawtv
        rmmod bttv tuner
done;

I noticed that on some of the card settings there is intermitant scratching noises, but nothing recognizable, while on other settings there was no audio.

So currently my /etc/modules.d/bttv looks like:
Code:
alias char-major-81    bttv

options bttv card=39 radio=1 pll=1
options tuner type=33

checking for the tvaudio module dmesg | grep tvaudio
Quote:
tvaudio: TV audio decoder + audio/video mux driver
tvaudio: known chips: tda9840,tda9873h,tda9874h/a,tda9850,tda9855,tea6300,tea6420,tda8425,pic16c54 (PV951)

I notice that it doesn't actually say it is going to use one.. that is probably the issue :(

and I am desperately hoping to get audio working so that I can
Code:
emerge mythtv

Hope this helps others, and hope someone can help me! :D

Jesse Andrews

Note: I am in the USA so everything is NTSC/US-CABLE.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: