automount vs. supermount
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOS-FET
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: automount vs. supermount Reply with quote

i have the current situation: supermount is working fine with my dvd/cdrw. however, whenever i'm in konqueror and also some other apps and i'm doing something like renaming a file, cd-ing to another dir, deleting a file or so, my pc would always search the dvd/cdrw for a cd. if no cd is inserted this takes a few seconds where konqeror or the other app is not reacting at all. i don't know if this is a supermount problem, but another problem i have is supermount-related: i can't burn multisession cd's and i actually need that pretty often.

i was thinking about trying automount/autofs, i have searched the forum but i don't know exactly what the positives/negatives is on automount. i've read that it would mount a cd not if you put it in, but only when you cd into it's mountpoint. is that correct? i've also read that you can eject a cd only after a certain (configurable) time. what about that? to put this into one question: what's better for a dvd/cdrw, automount or supermount?
Bushmann
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: automount vs. supermount Reply with quote

MOS-FET wrote:
i've read that it would mount a cd not if you put it in, but only when you cd into it's mountpoint. is that correct?

ja, that's right ...

MOS-FET wrote:

i've also read that you can eject a cd only after a certain (configurable) time. what about that?

that's why I don't use it for removable media

MOS-FET wrote:

to put this into one question: what's better for a dvd/cdrw, automount or supermount?

definitely supermount... I only use automount for remote mount like nfs, ftp etc.
MOS-FET
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm okay but i have this problem that i can't burn multisession CDs with supermont enabled and i _reylly_ need them - so i guess i'll just try automount ...
Bushmann
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try temporarily unmount the drive while recording (umount /mnt/cdrom), probably that helps...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: