Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
When will ASLR be made default on all profiles?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duby2291
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: When will ASLR be made default on all profiles? Reply with quote

It can -NOT- be a matter of if it happens, it -MUST- be a matter of when it happens. It must happen.

This is -the- solution to a number of very serious vulnerabilities that linux desktops are suffering from publicly right now in this time frame. Desktop users, not servers and workstations, but users of their own personal computer are at risk of a few serious exploits that ASLR will completely resolve. It's way past time to implement this functionality for everyone. It needs to happen asap.
GPU: nVidia GeForce 7600 GT
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's stopping you from using it, you don't need to wait for it. Even outside that, you can always use grsecurity or SELinux if you are soo worried about this threat.
R0b0t1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people aren't technically savvy enough to enable it themselves. Mainstream distributions support ASLR by default; if it's not in the gentoo-sources configuration by default the developers are doing their users a disservice.

Decent benchmark: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Features. Also, the Windows kernel uses ASLR if I remember correctly.
duby2291
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R0b0t1 wrote:
Most people aren't technically savvy enough to enable it themselves. Mainstream distributions support ASLR by default; if it's not in the gentoo-sources configuration by default the developers are doing their users a disservice.

Decent benchmark: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Features. Also, the Windows kernel uses ASLR if I remember correctly.

I failed at it every time I've tried. It's because in order for ASLR to work it needs kernel configuration set correctly and compiler cflags set correctly. It's because it needs userspace configuration that effects all packages is the reason why it must be incorporated into the portage profiles. In todays modern world ASLR is not optional. It is an absolute requirement for -all- linux installations.

EDIT: there is a dot . at the end of your link that causes clicking on it to open a page does not exist yet error page.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe after they've figured out how to harden it against the new javascript exploit? Until then it appears to have become worth less, if not worthless.

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/02/new-aslr-busting-javascript-is-about-to-make-drive-by-exploits-much-nastier/
duby2291
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
Maybe after they've figured out how to harden it against the new javascript exploit? Until then it appears to have become worth less, if not worthless.

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/02/new-aslr-busting-javascript-is-about-to-make-drive-by-exploits-much-nastier/

I do fully understand the pervasiveness of javascript, but the real solution there is to disable javascript. I already did that years ago. I don't miss it at all. Websites that want to use JS simply don't want -me- to visit. That's all. It does suck, there is plenty of web content that won't work, but as long as those same web sites choose to rely on -the- most exploitable software -ever- written I will continue to absolutely refuse.

In my opinion the very best way to eliminate exploits is to eliminate the exploitable item. You can't say that's a flaw in ASLR only that javascript was exploited -again-.
Ant P.
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your threat model here? It's been demonstrated that ASLR is a wet paper bag so what do you think it's going to protect against in reality?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: