Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Problems With Video Playback (totem,mplayer)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleSpy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Problems With Video Playback (totem,mplayer) Reply with quote

I've been having some problems with video playback. I have installed a slew of packages from media-libs/ and media-plugins/ for gstreamer, and set proper use flags before compiling mplayer and totem but I can't get my xvid avi or h264 files playing properly. In totem i'm getting sound with no video it says 'The playback of this movie requires a XVID MPEG-4 decoder plugin which is not installed.' If I try to play it with mplayer then I get video but no sound it says 'Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound'. So I'm kind of stumped here, I've tried re-emerging totem and mplayer with no luck. I installed VLC but playing any media file with it will crash X. If anyone has any tips or a solution I would be forever grateful. :?
LittleSpy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh after a little more playing around I found the problem. Whenever I instatlled alsa I did not add the alsasound script with rc-update add alsasound boot. After adding this to the startup scripts, sound is working like a charm even through HDMI :) :)

hope this helps someone else at some point
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: