Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Whats the difference between preload and prelink?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shgadwa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Whats the difference between preload and prelink? Reply with quote

I thought that I've had preload running for a while now, and I've never really noticed a speed improvement from it. Then, just the other day, I found out that the service wasn't even starting at boot anymore. As it turns out, it looks like somehow it must of got uninstalled, or something.

So, now I got it installed again.

My question is, what is the difference between preload, prelink, etc. etc... and/or can these services be run both at the same time? Also, I think there are some alternatives to preload... do any of them offer any speed improvements?
optiluca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prelink is not a service. I am not sure about the technical details, but it basically keeps a record of where to find the libraries your executables need, shaving a bit of time off the start of programs. It needs to be manually run after upgrades if you want to make sure all the binaries/libraries are matched correctly.

Preload just silently opens applications you usually use and dumps them in ram, ready for when you actually need them. I am using it at the moment and I notice it is working as startup is rather sluggish as my hard drive is read to dump everything in memory... Not noticing any real improvements, however, so might be ditching it. I used to use prelink as well, and that did not seem to do anything at all... It might shave the odd second off but tbh not noticeable at all. (for me at least.)

Has anyone had real gains using these systems??

http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_mincing.shtml
regomodo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optiluca wrote:
Prelink is not a service. I am not sure about the technical details, but it basically keeps a record of where to find the libraries your executables need, shaving a bit of time off the start of programs. It needs to be manually run after upgrades if you want to make sure all the binaries/libraries are matched correctly.

Preload just silently opens applications you usually use and dumps them in ram, ready for when you actually need them. I am using it at the moment and I notice it is working as startup is rather sluggish as my hard drive is read to dump everything in memory... Not noticing any real improvements, however, so might be ditching it. I used to use prelink as well, and that did not seem to do anything at all... It might shave the odd second off but tbh not noticeable at all. (for me at least.)

Has anyone had real gains using these systems??

What he said, mostly. I've noticed the same sluggish problems but i've noticed definite improvements in certain cases.

In Ubuntu, it uses epiphany. Using their weird im/email notification thing you always have to re-open epiphany after you close it. It doesn't minimise to the notification icon. Re-opening epiphany with preload enabled sped things up a lot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: