View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
F1r31c3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Gnome Volume Manager (depreciated) Reply with quote

Hey all

Is anyone else having this problem. Seems the gnome-volume-manager tells me it is deprecated i cant add it to my applet nor can i save volume settings.

The GUI keeps telling me that this will be removed soon. If so what will replace it, Is there a better volume manager anyone knows of for gnome desktop.

Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?

Is there a section on the Gnome website i can check for more information in regards to the volume manager.

Thanks all it getting annoying every time i startx i have to keep adjusting and unmuting my volume/pcm and i have no way to add the control to my applet for quick access.

thanks again
If we know the truth, then we should be free from deception (John 8:42-47 )
whiteghost
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use gnome-alsamixer
gnome-volume-manager is not for sound.

http://swift.siphos.be/linux_sea/ch08.html#id2882476
F1r31c3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiteghost wrote:
i use gnome-alsamixer
gnome-volume-manager is not for sound.

http://swift.siphos.be/linux_sea/ch08.html#id2882476

Hey thanks i just emerged that, nice, seems to work better as well but how to add it to my applet bar so that i get volume control even after i reboot.
M
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you can't have gnome-volume-control-applet anymore if you don't use pulseaudio, that is, you must have gnome-extra/gnome-media with pulseaudio use flag. If you compile it without you only get old gstreamer mixer, gnome-volume-control, but no applet.
I don't even understand what is so good about that pulseaudio, I know what the features are but I don't need any of them, and never will. Just what we needed, situation was probably not complicated enough -> http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/linuxaudio.png . As I understand, I don't use kde, phonon can use gstreamer, pulseaudio, xine etc. Xfce had a nice mixer but now they also switched to gstreamer based one. Ugh.
edit:
I see now that you always have to unmute channels, do you have alsa-utils emerged and alsasound added to runlevel? With alsactl store you can save current settings and next time you reboot you will have your settings. Also, it can save settings on stop, you can configure this in /etc/conf.d/alsasound.
F1r31c3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M wrote:
Hi, you can't have gnome-volume-control-applet anymore if you don't use pulseaudio, that is, you must have gnome-extra/gnome-media with pulseaudio use flag. If you compile it without you only get old gstreamer mixer, gnome-volume-control, but no applet.
I don't even understand what is so good about that pulseaudio, I know what the features are but I don't need any of them, and never will. Just what we needed, situation was probably not complicated enough -> http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/linuxaudio.png . As I understand, I don't use kde, phonon can use gstreamer, pulseaudio, xine etc. Xfce had a nice mixer but now they also switched to gstreamer based one. Ugh.
edit:
I see now that you always have to unmute channels, do you have alsa-utils emerged and alsasound added to runlevel? With alsactl store you can save current settings and next time you reboot you will have your settings. Also, it can save settings on stop, you can configure this in /etc/conf.d/alsasound.

Hey thanks for reply yes on the previous reply i added alsa and alsconf etc. added it to my runlevel boot with rc-update. Had to double check which one had been removed for a while it was arts not alsa so went ahead and emerged alsa. Still don't give me the control in the applet as you say.

I'll try the pulse audio thing, seems a silly way around a simple problem. i'll give it a go and report back
F1r31c3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: god darn it Reply with quote

lol

Ok an update to emerging packages bringing this one up to date.

I added pulseaudio to my make.conf use flags sync and emerge -newuse. I had emerge pulse audio alsa etc things seemed fine untill a restart. Now i get error gstreamer failed,

exact error:

Quote:
Internal Gstreamer error: pad problem. Please file a bug at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer.

So in light of this i have added the gstreamer as a use flag in my make.conf done a sync and emerge --newuse etc again. seems about 21 packages use the gstreamer flag.

Maybe this will clear this now new error. Any other ideas would be grateful thanks
F1r31c3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Sorted Reply with quote

Thought i would post back in case someone else is having this same issue with pulseaudio.

As mentioned in my previous post i kept getting the PAD error intermittently when playing audio, also in my messages log i was getting this horrid error and for the life of me no one had a solution anywhere until i tried something and boom it works perfect now so here goes.

Installation guide i followed for installing pulse audio can be found here: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/PulseAudio

My system-wide use flags that work for me:
Quote:

USE="automount consolekit gstreamer pulseaudio extras alsa caps -oss jack fbcondecor wine winetools fuse dri dri2 templates acpi cdr dvdr mdnsresponder-compat howl-compat udev evdev avahi sql dbus qt3support jpeg2k xinerama tiff png emerald mp3 xtrap record autoipd xcb dvb v4l v4l2 glitz svg msn ppds acpi python mng webkit svg mysql jpeg png X mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe bts cid xtpr fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 clflush dts hal gtk gnome qt qt3 qt4 -kde dvd cdr opengl fglrx cups -arts hplip gnutls xcomposite"

the message in my logs was:
Quote:

pulseaudio[30711]: module-console-kit.c: GetSessionsForUnixUser() call failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit was not provided by any .service files
pulseaudio[30711]: module.c: Failed to load module "module-console-kit" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
pulseaudio[30711]: main.c: Module load failed.
pulseaudio[30711]: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.
pulseaudio[30709]: main.c: Daemon startup failed.

this resulted in a knock on effect screwing up the whole audio system and lagging my system with hundreds of thousands of reports to my log files pushing over 400mb in log files sizes.

I fixed it simply by commenting out the load-module module-console-kit:

In the file: /etc/pulse/default.pa

Quote:
#load-module module-console-kit

Restart your system reload X and the error disappeared and audio worked perfect through pulseaudio, magic stuff hope this helps someone else out who is going mad with this fault.

On a final note i used
Quote:
eix -S PulseAudio
to find out all the pulse audio modules and emerged them all including one libflashsupport which had been masked by keyword. I unmasked and installed it.

Hope this helps someone thanks to everyone who helped me solve this. Merry Christmas everyone. :P :twisted: :D :lol: :P
TequilaTR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add to this thread, just in case someone else also jumps over it:

With some current update lately you do not need pulseaudio for gstreamer anymore. However you need the gstreamer useflag for the gnome-applets.
How i came around this: The default 10 desktop-profile has the gstreamer useflag not set, however the gnome profile has.

So if you want your gnome-volume-control-applet back, you need to at least emerge gnome-applets with gstreamer, or directly switch to the gnome desktop profile.
scan2006
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TequilaTR wrote:

So if you want your gnome-volume-control-applet back, you need to at least emerge gnome-applets with gstreamer, or directly switch to the gnome desktop profile.

Thanks this worked for me!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: