[SOLVED] Java masks
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xamindar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Java masks Reply with quote

I'm having issues with java. All I want to do is get a java plugin for firefox but sense the beginning of time gentoo seems to be against this.

I am trying to follow the gentoo java guide here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/java.xml
But it fails to mention that all the java packages seem to be masked. When they were masked for these licensing issues why was the java guide not updated? Hasn't it been over a month anyway?

I tried adding the sun jdk to the unmask file but it has no effect. Am I supposed to keword it too (which isn't mentioned)? OR is there a specific package that I am supposed to emerge for the nsplugin? Having masked java packages conveys the message that they are not the ones I am supposed to be using.

I just hope someone can help me out here as documentation in this area is highly lacking. Guess we aren't supposed to be using java any more but unfortunately some websites still do.

Here is some info that might help:
Code:
Whiterabbit Documents # java-config --list-available-vms
The following VMs are available for generation-2:
1)   IcedTea6-bin 1.6.2 [icedtea6-bin]

VMs marked as Build Only may contain Security Vulnerabilities and/or be EOL.
Gentoo recommends not setting these VMs as either your System or User VM.
Please see http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/java.xml#build-only for more information
Whiterabbit Documents # eselect java-nsplugin list
Available 32-bit Java browser plugins
Available 64-bit Java browser plugins
Whiterabbit Documents #

Last edited by Xamindar on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
jbouzan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
/etc/portage $ cat package.license
dev-java/sun-jdk dlj-1.1

Or sun-jre-bin if you prefer.
And yeah, the documentation is getting somewhat outdated. Maybe over this winter break I'll contact the docs team and ask for upload permission to update for these little things. :\
Xamindar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the hint. That got it going. I never even heard of a package.license file and even had to create it. I also realized the nsplugin use flag was not enabled on my system for some reason, would think it should be on by default. I was able to install the nsplugin that icedtea offered after enabling the use flag but it didn't seem to work at all, java objects on sites would just be blank gray boxes. With the help of your post I was able to install the actual sun java and change to that one. Now java applications in firefox DO work. Thanks again. I also hope someone would be able to update the doc so others can get this working with the least amount of searching.
maj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed - thanks for that!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: