radeon: 3D performance problem in 32bit apps [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalleRIM
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: radeon: 3D performance problem in 32bit apps [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I'm going to tell the whole story, although I don't know which part of it would be interesting.
I am using the radeon driver.
I was using gentoo for quite a while and everything was well. I had a reasonable 3D-performance in 3D-apps, 64bits and 32bits. Then I tried out the multilib overlay, which is great but seemed to make my 3D performance for 32bits go down. I had about 350 FPS in a 64bit glxgears and about 100 in a 32bit glxgears. 32bit 3D apps (wine) weren't running well either. I had xorg-x11-7.5, xf86-video-ati-9999 and mesa-7.6 for better 3D support with the radeon driver installed.
Because many things in gentoo weren't running well and I wanted a system that didn't require too much maintainance, I switched to ubuntu were 3D performance was just fine for 32bit apps. a few weeks later I got bored and installed gentoo again, this time using llvm as compiler and using the multilib overlay right from the beginning, but this time with stable mesa and xorg. 3D performance in 32bit apps was bad again. So after a few days, I switched back to emul-linux-x86, but 32bit 3D performance is still pretty bad... The strange thing: I have about 160 FPS in 64bit glxgears (which is normal with stable radeon driver and mesa) and about the same in a 32bit glxgears but it looks like 1-2 FPS. Counter Strike reports no OpenGL to be available. Warcraft III has many artifacts and runs at about the same speed.
edit: same problem with the radeonhd driver, too

Last edited by MalleRIM on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
MalleRIM
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone with a radeon card not having this problem? If so, let me know, so I know a reinstallation would fix it.
MalleRIM
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?
MalleRIM
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the version of mesa was outdated so upgrading emul-linux-x86 to 20091004_rc1 fixed it. But why on earth did it not work with the multilib overlay? Marked solved though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: