View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Xorg/SLiM broken Reply with quote

After my last world update, either Xorg, SLiM, or both, is broken. After logging in via SLiM (with the session correctly set to fluxbox), I get a basic X desktop. I have /home/username/.xinitrc set with exec startfluxbox. Also, I found if I try to change the session more than once by using alt-F1, Xorg locks up. If I try to kill SLiM, Xorg locks up. If I try to switch between VT7 and VT1 (to get out of SLiM to troubleshoot) too many times, Xorg locks up.

The only way I can now get fluxbox to start correctly is to login at the text console at VT1 and startx.

I've taken xdm out of my runlevel and do not plan to login this way on this machine ever again. This whole deal has broken so many times, I don't even care about a solution any more. I am just putting this out there for any interested devs to check out. If I notice any requests for info and if time permits, I will be happy to provide additional info.

(Yes, I'm frustrated. Please pardon my 'tude.) :P
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
echo "XSESSION=fluxbox" > /etc/env.d/90xsession

Should make you happy again.
Nerevar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got tired of it breaking as well, so I set up slim to bypass all the xsession crap and just use my .xinitrc.

See my post in this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-803474.html
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or you just do as portage tells you:

Code:
 * Messages for package x11-apps/xinit-1.2.0-r2:

* If you use startx to start X instead of a login manager like gdm/kdm,
 * you can set the XSESSION variable to anything in /etc/X11/Sessions/ or
 * any executable. When you run startx, it will run this as the login session.
 * You can set this in a file in /etc/env.d/ for the entire system,
 * or set it per-user in ~/.bash_profile (or similar for other shells).
 * Here's an example of setting it for the whole system:
 *     echo XSESSION="Gnome" > /etc/env.d/90xsession
 *     env-update && source /etc/profile
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

It really isn't too difficult...

EDIT: As for the stability issues, slim currently seems to have some problems with latest xorg. kdm works fine for me though.
Nerevar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
slim currently seems to have some problems with latest xorg.

Really? Works great with 1.7.1 and 1.7.2 for me on ~x86 and ~amd64 setups. Maybe you should give up on all the xsession nonsense. :)

Last edited by Nerevar on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, slim issues have nothing to do with XSESSION...

FYI, that 'nonsense' just works.
Nerevar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. It seems the actual problem lies in trying to use Gentoos default xinit system with slim. The developers don't care about slim and aren't trying to make it work out of the box. See https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=293285 for more details.

Please make up your mind. Does your setup work with slim or not? If you're having to install and use kdm, I'd say it's not working!
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works. Slim as loginmgr, fluxbox gets started as default XSESSION. I just tried it again, I have slim only installed in case kdm breaks in one of the 4.4 dev-snapshots I frequently emerge. Stick with what I actually say, not what you want to interpret.

Apart from these really non-existent XSESSION issues though, I had at one time problems with a fragile slim that would use 100% cpu time and hang up or would not stop. Those are the issues I, and probably also the OP was talking about.
Nerevar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
EDIT: As for the stability issues, slim currently seems to have some problems with latest xorg. kdm works fine for me though.

You say slim doesn't work with latest xorg for you. You say kdm works fine for you.

genstorm wrote:
It works. ... I have slim only installed in case kdm breaks in one of the 4.4 dev-snapshots I frequently emerge.

You say slim works. You really don't have kdm installed and working at all because it may break.

genstorm wrote:
Stick with what I actually say, not what you want to interpret.

It's really hard when what you say is contradictory.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, speaking with someone who simply doesn't want to understand...

I never said slim doesn't work with latest xorg. It does, but there were issues not related to XSESSION, such as the OP mentioned.

And what's the matter with kdm? Do you really believe you can only have one displaymanager installed at the same time? :lol:
Nerevar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
And what's the matter with kdm?

I have no idea. I don't even have it installed. Why are you worried about it breaking? That's a rhetorical question. I don't care as I don't use it.

All I'm saying is that I think you'll find if you try running slim w/o going through the default xinit/xsession that it works perfectly. No issues like the OP posted.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerevar wrote:
genstorm wrote:
And what's the matter with kdm?

I have no idea. I don't even have it installed. Why are you worried about it breaking? That's a rhetorical question. I don't care as I don't use it.

Well, you yourself brought it to the table right before, I just provided an explanation why I have both kdm and slim experience because you didn't seem to get it.

But back to topic.

Nerevar wrote:
All I'm saying is that I think you'll find if you try running slim w/o going through the default xinit/xsession that it works perfectly. No issues like the OP posted.

I might go once again through the procedure of setting up slim as displaymanager and try to reproduce the instability, just because. Last time I tried (for this thread) it was stable, and the 100% cpu time issue occurred to me still with xinit-1.0.x and not all the time - which let's me think that slim here really is the piece of junk it is called by its maintainer. Your link to bugzilla is of no help, because that bug doesn't address the stability issue at all - it just talks about the XSESSION policy change, which, again, is a non-issue when you listen to portage output instead of crying about .xinitrc.

Since there isn't any activity of audiodef anymore the issues probably have been solved already.
Nerevar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Well, you yourself brought it to the table right before, I just provided an explanation why I have both kdm and slim experience because you didn't seem to get it.

No. The only times I've mentioned kdm is when I was trying to interpret what you've said.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree as I'm unwilling to go back to an unstable slim setup and you're unwilling to try something different. That's fine.
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:

Since there isn't any activity of audiodef anymore the issues probably have been solved already.

No, I just decided to skip all the headache and not use any login manager on this machine any more, which is what I said in my original post. I posted just in case any of the programmers were interested. 8)
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: