View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbarnes8
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: E16 lost my window?...forever? Reply with quote

I was running opera without a problem but for some reasonI can't get it to work again...

I have clicked the menu and tried the command line. NOTHING displays. No error messages.
When I type opera into the command line the first time it acts like it's going to open but never does. It doesn't give me a prompt again either. (i have to open a new xterm) When I do it a second time it says operas already 'running 'adding tab to running instance' or something to that effect.

when I ps aux, it says /opt/lib/opera (not /usr/bin/opera)...killing it doesn't help. I have tried rebooting too.

The strangest thing is this first happened in my normal user account. Then it worked fine under root ONE time.Now both accounts have the same problem.

It's happened before where I could only see the few bottom inches of opera and at the top of my screen. But I think this may be a different problem. I have tried "clean up desktop" on the e16 menu, but that doesn't work. I don't know

I have recently emerged apache. I think I also did a deep new use update using dbus recently...but I'm fairly certain opera still worked after that.
I have not messed around with my virtual desktops before this occurred either.

I have also re emerged opera.......still nothing.

In short, it seems as though Opera is running, but where is it?

Last edited by jbarnes8 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:54 am; edited 3 times in total
jbarnes8
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE - NOT A BUMP

I have created a new user account but did not copy over the e16 config files from the other user directories.
Opera works perfectly fine in this new user account.

Does anybody have a clue what's going on? I suspect Opera is opening up on a virtual desktop that doesn't exists. I have tried using different placement options for windows..i.e. manually place windows, place windows under mouse, etc.
Nothing seems to work...But it's appearant opera is not broken.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i had this happen on E17 rather than E16 with the file manager usually, but on rare occasion other apps

i couldnt find it for the life of me, turns out it was just opening so bloody small i couldnt see it
only by dumb luck did i notice maybe a 1 inch by 1/3inch portion of the window border visible, whereupon i could resize as it had been shrunken down to that small

i never figured out what causes it, just minimized everything to systray to make finding it easier.

doubt that helps. hope that helps!
jbarnes8
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a solution (but not the problem)...fortunately opera has a lot of command line options

The solution:
$opera --geometry 200x200x50+50 #and then right click "remember" (--fullscreen didn't work)

I noticed it slides in from the left (I just happened to have "slide windows" set. ). I have it set up to "wrap around" left and right. I'm wondering if there is some bug where if you slide a window left to a different desktop then this could happen or SOMETHING. Or maybe it's because i was playing around with "remember..."

And no, that would not have helped :)...but I will keep that in mind next time.
I searched the entire screen. I suppose it could be 1x1 or something..but I looked very closely....And the systray shows it but it won't open it up. (JUST NOW thought of this, maybe it was under my task bar)

P.S. I think I pretty well read all of .e16/*. Didn't see anything helpful. Wondering if anyone else might know where these types of things are stored. (window attributes)
jbarnes8
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arghh!! it appears when I restart enlightenment I have to use the command line for opera again. This was not necessary before I restarted it

just found this
http://www.mail-archive.com/enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00748.h
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: