Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I want to install Gentoo on my Macbook good idea?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jc0481
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: I want to install Gentoo on my Macbook good idea? Reply with quote

I do like having the latest and greatest and I have been distro hopping for the past year. I want something fast and very responsive. I have tried Arch but for some reason did not like it. I feel like it has something missing.

I have a Macbook 2,1. 2.0 ghz Core2Duo, 2 gigs of RAM (soon to upgrade to 3 gigs of RAM), 7200 RPM hard drive, it has 802.11n chipset too. I purchased this laptop the day after Thanksgiving 2006.

My concerns are just mostly if my hardware will get recognized for instance the brightness, volume and eject keys on the keyboard. My 802.11n chipset I am not sure if my Atheros 5008 802.11n chipset will get recognized OOTB. I can hook it up to my wireless router but my wireless router is in a awkward spot that I can connect the laptop via Ethernet cable but just a bit tough to do that.

Also not sure if I have to install something in Gentoo to control the fans and the cpu on the Macbook. Hopefully that's something out of the box but if not that's okay. I don't mind getting my hands dirty. I also don't mind compiling. I heard it takes some time the first time you install but after that not so bad.

Also I have a Dell Laser Printer 1710 that some other distributions did not recognize it. Hopefully Gentoo having a newer kernel will fix that issue. Not sure though.

Hopefully there is a Macbook guide in Gentoo that will benefit me. I hope someone here can help me out. Thank you.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did u try gentoo-10 livedvd ?
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat to Duplicate Threads.

See...
Gentoo on MB Pro 5.1
(and another)
(and another)
Gentoo on MB Air
Gentoo on MB (external resource)
Gentoo 10.0 on MB
Gentoo on a Macbook?
Macbook Pro part 2

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1