View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
f.kater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: device-mapper blocks udev, but needed for cryptsetup Reply with quote

Hi,

just in case nobody noticed: The recent udev update to 146-r1 is blocked by the latest version of device-mapper in portage.
However, I cannot uninstall device-mapper since it is needed by cryptsetup.

I've found this bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=284222, however it does NOT cover my case where cryptsetup needs the device-mapper.

Thanks for hints and pointers...
Felix
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read that bug a bit more, focusing on comment 5,
ignoring mostly invalid comments 7,8,9.
Also, :evil: SEARCH THE BOARD :evil:
anonybosh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically the solution is:
Code:
emerge -C sys-fs/device-mapper
emerge world -uDN

This should pull in sys-fs/lvm2 in the place of device-mapper, as apparently device-mapper has been merged into lvm.
honeymak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if emerge -1 can be counted as a solution
why would guys need any update?

:lol:
FrancoisVal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, this upgrade seems to be a nightmare. I am using LVM and the root partition is on a lvm volume. I use genkernel to build the initramfs but the lvm volumes aren't found. So, I can't boot my computer if I rebuild a new initramfs image.
Does anybody know a solution to this problem ?
f.kater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
Read that bug a bit more, focusing on comment 5,
ignoring mostly invalid comments 7,8,9.
Also, :evil: SEARCH THE BOARD :evil:

The last sentence of comment #9 from the bug mentioned in my OP was quite misleading.
Masking udev was recommended but is in fact not needed. I've added a new comment to clarify that.

Anyway, replacing device-mapper by lvm2 works here.
derdestiller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating udev screwed up my entire configuration (my /dev) was empty.

First i thought compiling CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 not set in kernel will fix the problem. It did not.

I then tried to downgrading udev (somehow updateing to udev-146 didn't pull in baselayout-2,which is ok, because i want to have my sys tools stable)

I emerge udev-124 again and enabled CONFIG_DEV_TARBALL="yes". Didn't solve the problem.

Finally i copied an old backup to /dev, had to recreate /dev/null and /dev/console and chown root:tty some files.

Xserver didn't work, so i downgraded to my old nohal configuraton (i tried reemerging evdev)

So now it works again,but maybe someone can give me a hint why my system screwed up?
honeymak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so any response/help from genkernel team?
rufnut
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrancoisVal wrote:
In my case, this upgrade seems to be a nightmare. I am using LVM and the root partition is on a lvm volume. I use genkernel to build the initramfs but the lvm volumes aren't found. So, I can't boot my computer if I rebuild a new initramfs image.
Does anybody know a solution to this problem ?

Same here :(

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-801598.html

The above holds some clues for genkernel.

I am staying on =sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.36 =sys-fs/udev-141

Until I see the exact fault.

:)
derdestiller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derdestiller wrote:

So now it works again,but maybe someone can give me a hint why my system screwed up?

I solved my proplem (maybe anyone is interested ;): When i restored my HD from a Backup a few months ago i accidently copied /sys... which apparently led to not mounting the /sys filesystem properly.
So it wasn't udevs fault (but maybe a hint printed in the output of /etc/init.d/udev that udev>1.24 works with baselayout-1 even if the initskript itself needs baselayout-2 would be nice :)
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was busy with a hardware upgrade on a windoze box this weekend and only started to do my weekly updates today. :oops:

I saw that lvm and devicemapper and udev were in a full fledged bar room brawl, so I did not do that update yet, deciding to search the forums *BEFORE* I messed everything up. 8)

I have 18 boxes here, some x86, some x-64, and they all run lvm on the root filesystem. One of them runs lvm on raid-1 on the root filesystem. 8O

What am I to do with this latest update mess? :?:

Thanks! :D

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, it's as simple as unmerging device-mapper, then doing your update as usual, and lvm2 will be pulled in correctly.

Lvm2 contains device-mapper now. That's the reason for this block.

Only if you use baselayout2 then you need to add lvm to the boot runlevel. You will see a postinst elog about that.
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure there is no danger in doing this when your root filesystem uses LVM? I used to make my own initdisk images, but lately I have been using genkernel to do this for me. Are there any special considerations I should keep in mind?

I do have 2 boxes running x86 32 bit gentoo that could be "sacrificial" if need be, as they are not presently doeing anything critical, but I would prefer not to scrog them, but better them than any other systems.

Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I've never actually put the / partition on the logical volume so I am uncertain about that.
Let me look around. :)

Last edited by Mike Hunt on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT @ 5:00 pm: Found nothing specific.

I suspect that you would need to rebuild your initial ramdisk to contain the new lvm2.

If that works, please add 10 geek points to my score. :)
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I suspected: great tribulation with this. :evil:

I have a server that is built from Pappy's Seeds, but it has a flakey ethernet on the NIC that connects to my LAN. It works fine with the LiveCD, so it is either a kernel or driver issue. I have pretty well eliminated the driver as a contender, so I need to play with kernels here. For now, it is expendable, software-wise. This box will eventually by my NIDS and packet logger, but it has a 5-slot SATA hot-swap chassis, so I can dd the boot drive for instant recovery from trouble, and hot-swap from the front of the case without opening the box. 8)

I will make an image of the boot drive, then try this stunt. It is also an AMD quad-core running 2.3 GHz (or something close to that), so the builds will go quickly.

If it flops, I just pull the clobbered boot drive out and stuff in the copy. :D

Hopefully, I wil have a chance to try this tonight. If all goes smoothly (probably after several tries...) then I will upgrade the other boxes.

Only trouble is, the drives are all 1.5 GB, so it takes a while to clone a copy. :?

Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:idea: !!! Idea !!! :idea:

Could I boot the LiveCD, then chroot and do the update from there? Would that be safer than doing the update using the running normal system? :?:

honeymak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would not advice any update should be done
IF and only IF u r still out of the mess.......
:oops:

seems lvm and mdadm and genkernel are NOT catching up....

u will run into lvm2 compilation problem....becoz "dm is included in lvm2".......compilation deadlock......and NO fix yet
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, updates are on hold for now. :(

I guess I could lock the present versions of these components and then do the updates, but not tonight. I just found out earlier this evening that I have to be at a client's tomorow morning, and its a long drive, so I have to get up at 5:00 AM tomorow morning.

Maybe tomorow afternoon...

PS I just realized that I need an intel x86 platform to accurately test this update, as I did not get complaints out of x-64 boxes. The box I was going to use for a test is an amd x-64 box. I have no hot-swap chassis on any intel 32-bit boxes. :(

Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More grief! :evil:

I did emerge --update system on a gentoo system running on a virtual machine where I could use vmware snapshot to cover my butt. 8)

In the config files that needed updating, I noticed:
Code:
eerror "Your kernel is too old to work with this version of udev."
eerror "Current udev only supports Linux kernel 2.6.25 and newer."
so I need a new kernel besides. It really would have been nice to tell the user this *BEFORE* running the emerge, instead of *AFTER*! :evil:

All they needed to do was uname -a to see that great breakage would occur if they installed the new udev. But no! Just go ahead and build it and install it, then tell the user that his kernel is too old, so no udev, meaning most likely, no boot! Does this mean you can only get this message if you boot, which you can't do without udev? HA! Catch-22! :evil:

Good thing I used vmware and snapshots. 8)

Now I know I *REALLY* have my work cut out for me, because many of my machines are running kernels older than 2.6.25! :oops:

Yet it has already been mentioned in this thread that genkernel doesn't know of the changes to lvm/device-mapper/udev, so I *CAN'T* build a new kernel until this is fixed! :evil:

I hope these updates do not address critical security concerns, because I can't apply them yet! :cry:

FrancoisVal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I previously said, this update turn's out to be a nightmare if you use a LVM volume for the root partition and if you don't enable CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 in the kernel configuration (in general setup). The solution is to use a newer version of genkernel which is not yet stable (see bugs 255196 and 225249).
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I run LVM on the root filesystem of every linux box on my network, this would have definately been a total disaster if I had just "let 'er rip", instead of being careful and paranoid. 8O

I run LVM on all my linux filesystems unless there is a very good reason not to. This is because I use the LVM snapshot facility to freeze a view of the filesystem when it is being backed up by my backup server every night. 8)

Raffi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run lvm as root on many of my boxes. I have just finished fighting this issue on one of them. The update itself seems to have done the right thing followed by much pain getting the system to boot again. The things that killed me were related to my initrd. I will lay out what I did, though I suspect not all of it was necessary.

Changed my initrd to mount sysfs. My old version only mounted sysfs if it was trying to do a restore from suspend.

Changed the root= in my kernel line in grub from /dev/vgname/lvname to /dev/mapper/vgname-lvname. Looks like the new mapper stuff does not add the symbolic links in /dev for mapper/... to vgname/... I did the same for /etc/fstab. These changes were probably all that was really needed.

Re-created the initrd with the latest lvm on it.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in the end it seems that the real problem lies in genkernel
being not up to date with these changes.
Solour
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

an emerge -u world gives me
Code:

[blocks b     ] <sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.8 ("<sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.8" is blocking sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.9, sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)                                                                                                                                   
[blocks B     ] sys-fs/device-mapper ("sys-fs/device-mapper" is blocking sys-fs/udev-146-r1)                                                                                                                                                                                   
  ('ebuild', '/', 'sys-fs/udev-146-r1', 'merge') pulled in by
    sys-fs/udev required by ('installed', '/', 'net-wireless/bluez-4.39-r2', 'nomerge')
    sys-fs/udev required by ('installed', '/', 'sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.30-r8', 'nomerge')
    >=sys-fs/udev-124 required by ('installed', '/', 'sys-fs/cryptsetup-1.0.6-r2', 'nomerge')   
    (and 2 more)                                                                               
  ('installed', '/', 'sys-fs/device-mapper-1.02.24-r1', 'nomerge') pulled in by
    >=sys-fs/device-mapper-1.00.07-r1 required by ('installed', '/', 'sys-fs/cryptsetup-1.0.6-r2', 'nomerge')

so I unmerged sys-fs/device-mapper (1.02.24-r1)
but then an emerge "=sys-fs/udev-146-r1" gives me
Code:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1 [2.14.2] USE="crypt nls perl%* unicode -loop-aes -old-linux (-selinux) -slang (-uclibc)" 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-fs/udev-146-r1 [141] USE="devfs-compat%* -extras% (-selinux)" 0 kB                                                 
[blocks B     ] <sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.8 ("<sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.8" is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)                           
[blocks B     ] <sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.8 ("<sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.8" is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)             
  ('installed', '/', 'sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.3-r1', 'nomerge') pulled in by
    sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs required by world                                   

('ebuild', '/', 'sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1', 'merge') pulled in by
    >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by ('ebuild', '/', 'sys-fs/udev-146-r1', 'merge')

unmerging e2fsprogs is not recommended by portage. so I reinstalled sys-fs/device-mapper and now I am where I started....

So what to do now to resolve this? can you give me a hint?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: