Patch bluez-gnome-1.8 for fixed-pin devices
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iverasp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Patch bluez-gnome-1.8 for fixed-pin devices Reply with quote

I just received a bluetooth GPS receiver and thought I would share my experience getting it paired with bluez-gnome.
The GPS device has a fixed pin of 0000. When pairing it with bluez-gnome the applet only allows you to use a randomly generated pin and therefor fails. It seems the applet should be able to use 0000 for some devices but as in this case not every device is recognized as such. I found lots of bug reports on this when searching via google.

In the bluez-gnome GIT repository there is a patch to enable a pin of 0000 for certain GPS devices by looking at the first part of the MAC address and the name of the device. Modifying the values of the MAC address and name in the patch would of course not be a perfect solution (an option for a custom pin in the GUI would..) but it's good enough to get everything working as it should for now.

Here's a tar archive of my modified ebuild from portage and the modified patch from bluez.org. Extract in local portage overlay under net-wireless, modify the patch for your device(s) (hcitool scan displays MAC and name) and run ebuild <ebuild file> digest then emerge bluez-gnome.

http://sites.google.com/site/iverasp/home/bluez-gnome-1.8.tar
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: