View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Using vlock with X? Reply with quote

Hi, I like to lock my screen whenever I leave my computer or shut the lid on my laptop. I've been using kscreenlocker for years, but since KDE 4 and my latest laptop I've been having big problems with it. The software does work, but it's slow; sometimes after coming back from sleep, the kscreenlocker dialog box doesn't appear for a few minutes, regardless of my mouse-moves or keystrokes.

I'd like to use something like vlock, which uses a CLI prompt. Much more reliable in my opinion, and it locks all of my open terminals as well. The problem is that vlock can't be run from X. The solution to my problem would be a script that switches to a terminal and runs vlock -a. I'm sure there is a way to do this, but I don't know how. Any suggestions?

Oh, and I've tried chvt 1 & vlock -a, but it doesn't work. I can change the VT, but I can't run a command on that VT from and X session.

Thanks.
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe x11-misc/xtrlock is what you are looking for? Extremely minimalistic, but also extremely practical in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: