[S]Having BOTH nVidia and ATI drivers (and intel?) installed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mzg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: [S]Having BOTH nVidia and ATI drivers (and intel?) installed Reply with quote

Title says it all, I guess. I want to have both the nVidia and ATI drivers installed, and ideally execute startx with a different config file depending on which driver I want to use. It would be nice to have the intel drivers as well.

3D acceleration is not necessary, really. Would be cool on the nVidia card, though.

From what I have read, this _seems_ possible, the only thing that is not possible is to have both the nvidia and ATI propiretary drivers at the same time. I am not sure if that would apply in this situation as they will not run at the same time.

Is this possible? Does anyone have more information? Can startx be ran with a different config file?

I am currently using a LiveUSB, thus the problem. Different machines have different cards, of course. Is it possible to have a "generic" nvidia/ATI config, by the way, or do I need to know everything about the card/monitor and have 1000 different xorg.conf-s, one for each card in existance...? :S

I am currently running the vesa driver, which works, but the resolution is very low. Also I could not get it to work with my desktop computer, for some reason. That's a different post, though.

Last edited by Mzg on Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
spindle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't have a problem having each driver installed I believe just don't load them both at the same time like you say. Depending upon the version of xorg server you are running you may be able to run with no xorg.conf which will try to detect your hardware automatically using HAL & evdev (see Xorg 1.5 Upgrade Guide).
Mzg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, someone on a different forum suggested that I just installed heaps of drivers, dropped xorg.conf and let the autodetection do the work.
Mzg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works now, by the way :D Installed all the open source drivers and dropped xorg.conf, works like a charm ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: