Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
PII 300, 64 mb RAM --is it enough for gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: PII 300, 64 mb RAM --is it enough for gentoo? Reply with quote

Hi. I have an old pentium II 300 mhz Dell Dimension with 64 mb ram running Redhat 7.3. It's a little choppy with kde 3, but I only use it to play music so its okay.

I'd like to put gentoo on it, but I'm not sure if its powerful enough to compile kde, etc., particularly since it has so little ram.

Should I go for it? Time isn't much of an issue, I can leave it compilling for a couple days. Do you think it will be able complete the build process without crashing? Also, what compiler do you recommend I use? Should I try gcc 3?
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've compiled on a P133 and P100 with 64 megs, and others have gotten by on less. It will be slow to compile, but it will work.
markpmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Yep - It'll work Reply with quote

I'm running a K6-2 400 w/ 64 MB. I migrated to 1.3b a week or so ago. Compiling a kernel takes a little over an hours. X will take all night, so will kde.

You may want to just grab a stage 3 tarball and skip most of the compiling.

If you're on an old PC w/ a small hard drive, you could run into a disk space problem. Break your large "emerges" into smaller bites.

ie. The Desktop guide recommends emereging kde (or gnome) to build and install X. I'd recommend that you emerge xfree86 and then emerge your desktop/wm afterwards.

Good Luck,

Mark
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it'll work fine. Well- it'll take about 4 days to compile a complete desktop system but it'll work fine once it's finished. :)

Some brave/loony souls have installed gentoo on as little as a P100.
Erukian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ram is really what you need. If you can your hands on it. If your at 128 or less, it will SOOOOO help you out with compile times. Not upgrading the cpu. Ram is more important for compiling i hear.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I would look to pick up a 128 MB stick for $20 at a local computer shop. You would be much happier, since you probably wouldn't swap to disk often, and RAM is thousands of times faster than the hard drive.

If you really don't want to fork over $20, you could always buy it during the install, compile everything you want, and then return it. :D
fazer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: PII 300, 64 mb RAM --is it enough for gentoo? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Hi. I have an old pentium II 300 mhz Dell Dimension with 64 mb ram running Redhat 7.3. It's a little choppy with kde 3, but I only use it to play music so its okay.

I'd like to put gentoo on it, but I'm not sure if its powerful enough to compile kde, etc., particularly since it has so little ram.

Should I go for it? Time isn't much of an issue, I can leave it compilling for a couple days. Do you think it will be able complete the build process without crashing? Also, what compiler do you recommend I use? Should I try gcc 3?

Well, I have a PII 266 MHz with 32 MB RAM. :( From what I've heard in here, that sounds scary :( 4 Days to complie. Maaan...that's a long time, especially when time is a concern. But since I will be adding an extra 128 MB of ram, hopefully it would compile more quickly. Oh and, over here, the ram costs about $49.99 and add taxes which would result in $57.00. Why you may ask? I live in Canada! :( Price can me a major issue these days. Oh well, maybe I will stick to other linux distributions and then move to Gentoo when I have a better system.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can spare the compile time, many have found Gentoo to run much faster than other distributions. Gentoo runs pretty fast on one of my laptops (Pentium 133, 24 MB of RAM) -- even though recompiling the kernel "in the wild" takes nearly an hour and there's no way I would try to bootstrap on a 133 (I did some clever tricks using VMware) -- I would highly recommend Gentoo for low-power boxen.

Seriously, if you can start an install on a Friday night (much like this one), let it grind over the weekend (`scripts/boostrap.sh && emerge system`), and come back on Monday, you will be much happier than running, say, Red Hat. You will also have a much leaner system...
fazer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's great! But does your laptop have a GUI? Which one?

Also, does anyone know where I can get cheap quality RAM that would ship internationally or atleast all over North America? I am located in Canada and most good online retails don't ship to Canada, or if they do, the taxes and shipping charges are not worth paying since they are more expensive compared to local sale prices. I have seen RAM prices of a P133 128 MB - 168 PIN RAM module selling for $15.00 on pricewatch.com. That would be a sweet price if you convert it CAD and add taxes + shipping. It might be the same price as local retailers here or even more.

So if anyone knows where I can get such ram delivered here, please do let me know.

Thanks in advance.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fazer wrote:
Wow, that's great! But does your laptop have a GUI? Which one?

Fluxbox. There's no way I'm going to run anything heavier, and X is only up rarely when I want to run Ethereal or something. (I use it as a network troubleshooting swiss army knife, so most of it is command line.)

BTW, Gentoo idles at 9 MB of RAM used on that box, while Red Hat had to swap for pretty much everything.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: