PCI autodetection hang.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: PCI autodetection hang. Reply with quote

K, I had Gentoo installed on my Athlon 700 and decided to move it up onto my machine Athlon 1800XP machine. I'm relatively new to Gentoo, but have used Linux on and off since 1.12 days. Consider me a bit of a novice, but I know where to navigate around, edit files, etc.

Anyhoo, here is my comp:
AthlonXP 1800 (1.54ghz)
DFI AK76-SN motherboard
512 Megs of PC2100 DDR
SBLive! (original)
Adaptec 2940uw
Adaptec 2940u2w
2x Seagate 10k rpm (id 0, 1 on 2940u2w)
1x IBM 7200rpm (id3, on 2940uw)
Generic IDE DVD drive (master, IDE0)
Seagate IDE 4.3ghz (master, IDE1)
Geforce3 TI500
MS Natual Pro (connected via USB)
Logitech dual optical (connected via USB hub on keyboard)

All there SCSI drives are on NTFS, all running Win2k. Essentially, I want the IDE to be all Linux and the SCSI drives to be all Win2k. This may change at a later date, but that's how I want it for now. I will control the dual booting either in the BIOS, or via GRUB.

So, I set my CDROM to boot first, then IDE0. Load the Gentoo 1.2 cd in the DVD drive and it starts to boot. The kernel will decompress, and usb.c will find the usb keyboard and mouse. Next up, I hit enter to select the US keyboard as default (which it is) and I am prompted to press Enter for PCI autodetection.

When I hit enter there, it will detect the AIC7xxxx chip, then it'll find some IRQ10 and IRQ11 devices (looks like more than one off IRQ11, BIOS is probably sharing them between a few cards). But then the system hangs. Nothing, nada, zip. I've tried turning off PnP in the BIOS, tried resetting the ESCD to no avail.

Now I turn to you, other Gentoo users, for some help. I've done some searching for PCI autodetection on this forum, but I couldn't find a thread with someone having this sort of problem.

Any tips and help would be appreciated.

vash
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I would try removing cards one at a time until you figure out what's confusing it.
vash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, made the system a bit less complicated. Took out the Adaptec 2940UW and IBM drive and the PCI autodetect still hangs. My only guess is the motherboard is somehow incompatible with Linux since I can install all Win32 OSes just fine on the box (even before I took out hardware).

Anyone else? Any other tips for a pci autodetect hang?

vash
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: