Google Summer of Code 2010
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tipped
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Google Summer of Code 2010 Reply with quote

I was wondering if Gentoo was planning on participating in GSoC 2010. I have a couple of ideas of things I'd like to work on...
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still early, but you can assume yes.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a computer science student who recently switched from Windows 7 to Gentoo Linux on his laptop, I would like to participate. I am comfortable programming in C, C++, Java and PHP. Will I be able to contribute in some way?
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a gentoo-soc mailing list and a #gentoo-soc IRC channel if you want more info. I have never been involved myself, so I don't know any details.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most definitely!

What are your program interests? Programming interestst?, experience...

you can start by tackling a few bugs to get to know gentoo a bit more...

you can help another project, there's lots of things that could use extra help :)

Those are all things that can help you get a gsoc project this summer.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen wrote:
Most definitely!

What are your program interests? Programming interestst?, experience...

you can start by tackling a few bugs to get to know gentoo a bit more...

you can help another project, there's lots of things that could use extra help :)

Those are all things that can help you get a gsoc project this summer.

Well, my favorite programming language is C. I took a networking class last semester, which I found very interesting. I am a bit behind in taking the more advanced computer science classes because I am a double major (Applied Mathematics/Computer Science), but I have written some small programs to do things I found interesting (some prime number computations). I have experience with the POSIX threads and GNU Multiple Precision libraries as a result. I also have taken a few classes more for my own personal interest than because of any requirement for my major, one being C++, which is not taught to computer science students at my university.

I will be taking almost all upper division computer science classes this semester (algorithms, theory of computing, programming problems, operating systems, principles of programming languages). The only exception is a latin class I will be taking out of personal interest. So far I find myself equally interested in all areas of computer science I have encountered, with a few exceptions. I dislike writing proofs for theoretical stuff; writing proofs is an area where I find myself weak. I also have an animosity towards Java, a language I am forced to use for my computer science classes and would prefer to use C++ in its place. I also find GUI programming to be more a chore than a fun thing to do.

How do I get started on tackling bugs?

Edit: I seem to have answered my own question. Gentoo's Bugzilla is a good place to start. I am looking for things that interest me. So far, the following one looks like a good first thing to tackle:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10735
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, your somewhat in luck... I have recently done some work on gentoolkit's equery. I have been splitting out the base functions/output printing to make them useable as library functions for other apps (namely a porthole plugin). I have been working with another dev that has been doing a lot of gentoolkit updates. Join us on #porthole and we can get you going.

[edit] forgot to mention. most all tools related to portage are coded in python like equery
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I skipped the class that teaches python at my university. I never thought I would need it.

I will join you guys in #porthole to find out if I can help you guys as soon as I figure out how to use IRC. I have not used it in years and the last time I used it was on Windows some time during high school, so I need to relearn how to use it on Gentoo.

By the way, in other news, I think I just made my first contribution. It is incredibly small (+5 lines in a .ebuild file) and someone at nvnews.net did the hard work, but I hope it counts as something:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=301318
Tipped
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thank you all for the info. Now I just have to be faster so I can be sure to get a spot. :)
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he, he :) btw I'm not on the committee that decides who, what, etc... But only mentioned the things I've seen posted in past years forum threads, etc.. Speed in reading/answering a forum thread I do not think is the major factor in the decision making :D

Anyway, welcome to gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: