Looking for linux-headers-2.6.31?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Looking for linux-headers-2.6.31? Reply with quote

Just wondering when it's going to pop up. It has been 2 weeks since kernel 2.6.31 went final.

Also, why does it take almost a month after the kernel comes out to get the headers out, too? I went back and noticed a pattern between previous kernel/headers ebuilds.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for linux-headers-2.6.31? Reply with quote

Simba7 wrote:
Just wondering when it's going to pop up. It has been 2 weeks since kernel 2.6.31 went final.

Also, why does it take almost a month after the kernel comes out to get the headers out, too? I went back and noticed a pattern between previous kernel/headers ebuilds.
It isn't necessary to match kernel version with linux-headers version, which is why the 2.6.27 headers are still marked stable, while gentoo-sources-2.6.30 are stable. The only reason I can see needed the new headers is if you really need a new kernel API call that isn't included in the last version.

Two weeks isn't too long, so I would just say wait a little while longer. If you get impatient you could always edit the ebuild and post it to a new bug in bugzilla to get things moving, but I'm sure the devs who are in charge of these things are well aware that a new version is out there and will get to it in due time.
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. I was just curious.. Probably my OCD kicking in.

I usually keep my headers and sources in sync with each other.
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. I'm doing a fresh install and I'm bumping into the damn bitsperlong problem.

Everyone says just revert to the old kernel, but I CAN'T. I'm using btrfs-0.19 and that's not an option with .30, so I'm stuck with my WRT54G until I can get my main router working again.

Will someone get linux-headers-2.6.31 out soon? I mean kernel-2.6.32 is already in rc.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba7 wrote:
Will someone get linux-headers-2.6.31 out soon? I mean kernel-2.6.32 is already in rc.
Do the new linux-headers fix your problem? If yes and the problem is critical, you might just want to try copying the latest ebuild (.30-r1) to an overlay, update the filename, and see if it emerges the .31 headers properly. There really isn't much difference, looking at the differences in the .29 and the .30 ebuild, so you might be fine without additional ebuild edits.

It looks like the devs are still working on some of the older linux-headers... latest release was the 30-r1 headers on 10/4.

You might want to submit a version bump bug to bugzilla (bugs.gentoo.org) to try and get things moving... just don't sound impatient since that will likely annoy the devs.
disperato
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for linux-headers-2.6.31? Reply with quote

Quote:
It isn't necessary to match kernel version with linux-headers version, which is why the 2.6.27 headers are still marked stable, while gentoo-sources-2.6.30 are stable. The only reason I can see needed the new headers is if you really need a new kernel API call that isn't included in the last version.

I can add some more popular reason: the need to install the nvidia drivers. Let's see the real world, with no ideological positions on the proprietary nature of some drivers: half the world speaks nvidia language, the other half speaks the ati language. Some people are busy with other "dialects".
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for linux-headers-2.6.31? Reply with quote

disperato wrote:
Quote:

I can add some more popular reason: the need to install the nvidia drivers. Let's see the real world, with no ideological positions on the proprietary nature of some drivers: half the world speaks nvidia language, the other half speaks the ati language. Some people are busy with other "dialects".

Uh... What?

I can install the newest nvidia drivers just fine with .27 headers.
disperato
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for linux-headers-2.6.31? Reply with quote

Quote:
Uh... What?

Sure! gentoo-sources-2.6.27 + linux-headers-2.6.27, I presume?
In the past 7 years (or so) that I have been using gentoo, I often found that if the kernel sources and the linux-headers versions mismatch, the nvidia drivers may not install giving emerge errors. This is, in fact, blocking me to using .31 (already tried the 180.60 on 2.6.31, usual error) that I need to play with other features I know are there.
Another proprietary modules that give troubles are vmware-modules. Not all versions, not all comibantions headers+vmware, but the cure was always the same: to wait a new linux-headers ebuild.

looking at the current situation:
sources: 2.6.30-r9; headers: 2.6.30-r1; nvidia: 180.60. If I switch to sources 2.6.31 sticking to headers 2.6.30, nvidia 180.60 can't install.
BTW, my aim was not to hijack the topic onto the nvidia issue. If that was the result, I apologise.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for linux-headers-2.6.31? Reply with quote

disperato wrote:
I'm not sure if this is necessarily true. Most people go with the stock video cards on their motherboard... this is especially true for laptops and other mobile devices. In this world Intel is quite prevalent, as are some other "generic" video cards... yes, nVidia and ATI are here as well, but their aren't 99% of the market.

If the gentoo devs mark the nVidia drives stable, that means they have been well tested against the current stable kernels as well as the linux-headers. I've not heard of problems arising from using older versions of the headers, and nVidia does make dependency requirements known.

... Although, just because I haven't observed it doesn't mean it's not true, so you could be correct here... :)
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for linux-headers-2.6.31? Reply with quote

disperato wrote:
Quote:
Uh... What?

<snip>
sources: 2.6.30-r9; headers: 2.6.30-r1; nvidia: 180.60. If I switch to sources 2.6.31 sticking to headers 2.6.30, nvidia 180.60 can't install.
BTW, my aim was not to hijack the topic onto the nvidia issue. If that was the result, I apologise.

I'm running multiple systems with nvidia-drivers and gentoo-sources-2.6.31-r3. You need to unmask/~arch newer versions of nvidia-drivers. My "new" cards are running nvidia-drivers-190.42, and were running 190.36 before that. My "legacy" cards are running nvidia-drivers-173.14.20. (The former needed unmasking and ~arch, the latter just needed ~arch.) The newer drivers install with no patching, etc. I'd found patches before that to get things installed on 2.6.30, but the listed ebuilds don't need it. On this system I'm running linux-headers-2.6.27-r2 - I guess I hadn't gotten to ~arch on this system for linux-headers. I normally run ~arch for kernels and stable for the rest of the systems.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for linux-headers-2.6.31? Reply with quote

disperato wrote:
In the past 7 years (or so) that I have been using gentoo, I often found that if the kernel sources and the linux-headers versions mismatch, the nvidia drivers may not install giving emerge errors. This is, in fact, blocking me to using .31 (already tried the 180.60 on 2.6.31, usual error) that I need to play with other features I know are there.
Another proprietary modules that give troubles are vmware-modules. Not all versions, not all comibantions headers+vmware, but the cure was always the same: to wait a new linux-headers ebuild.

Hmm no, latest stable headers and kernel:

Code:
# equery list linux-headers
[ Searching for package 'linux-headers' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [  ] sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.27-r2 (0)

Code:
# equery list gentoo-sources
[ Searching for package 'gentoo-sources' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.30-r8 (2.6.30-r8)

Code:
# equery list nvidia-drivers
[ Searching for package 'nvidia-drivers' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [ ~] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.42-r1 (0)
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba7 wrote:
Ok.. I was just curious.. Probably my OCD kicking in.

I usually keep my headers and sources in sync with each other.

If you wish to keep this situation, you can enter make headers_install in the .31 kernel source directory. You will get the latest headers. You should then reemerge glibc, of course.

Blessed be!
Pappy
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I make a quick linux-headers file so I can fix this?

I can probably put it in my local distfiles directory.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the ebuilds for linux-headers, and fudge the numbers a bit. Either that, or use the make headers_install command in the kernel source directory you want to supply the header files.

Blessed be!
Pappy
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k. I didn't want to do a "make headers_install" in case later on I have to update something major and it jerks the system the wrong way.

I do have 2 remote systems that would really suck if something major happened.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the next batch of headers comes out, even if you use make headers_install, things will update normally. There will be no file collisions. Of course, don't forget to emerge glibc after you install new headers.

Blessed be!
Pappy
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm off to try this. I usually do a Stage1 install, so I'm trying to figure out where to execute make headers_install.

Although, I'm also looking at 2.6.32 getting close to being finalized. Hopefully they'll put out a headers package immediately after 2.6.32 becomes official (either gentoo-headers-2.6.31 or 2.6.32).
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for linux-headers-2.6.31? Reply with quote

disperato wrote:
Quote:

In the past 7 years (or so) that I have been using gentoo, I often found that if the kernel sources and the linux-headers versions mismatch, the nvidia drivers may not install giving emerge errors.

I have been using Gentoo for 6+ years, and nvidia for most of that time, and i have never had such an issue.

Also, do you recompile glibc after upgrading linux-headers every time? Otherwise you aren't really benefiting from the newer linux-headers.
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. We're now getting to .33 (seen .33-rc1) and the headers are still .30.

Any ideas when the new ones will be available?
boris64
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See bug 297755.
boris64
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i'm already cc'ed :7
However this bug is getting old as well.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portage has now linux-headers-2.6.32 , thanks to vapier.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: