Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo installer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
necromancer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: Gentoo installer Reply with quote

I dont try to provoke anybody with this post. Find it strange that all installer related threads are locked, and think its better for Gentoo if this was an alive and chronic issue.

Especially the https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=6544 thread I think should stay open, beacause of its voting-feature, and because davoid working on an installation system.

My main aspect for a better installer is that; (after the days of work to get Gentoo running) Gentoo is very fast, clean, and more easy to manage than the socalled easy distros (Im quite new to linux and Red Hat is my reference (were I did not manage to install even one rpm my self( love portage))). Gentoo is, as I see it, the only possible near sollution to make Linux useable for mainstream desktop/laptop users. But then Gentoo need installation improvements. Remove the fences and gates are not needed, the girl said.

Another view is that better installation will attract more people, and then also more programmers, more people to help improving Gentoo. And if Gentoo becomes really big maybe programmers prefer to release their work as ebuilds.

I think these arguments in fact killes the argument "it is better if the Gentoo-staff make portage improvements", maybe the gentoo staff can get bigger and do both and more, especially if they dont have to buid the ebuilds themselves.

Only "good"(?) reason Ive seen not to make a better installation as an OPTION, is the statements: We dont want common people to use Gentoo, let them use win or mac.
I think that view is so not progressive, and maybe a bit group selfish.

Regards
Kalle
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why these threads get locked is because the issue has been discussed ad infinitum without anything new or interesting being injected into the discussion. The posts are generally written in an inflammatory fashion (as yours is, BTW, since you belittle and mischaracterize one side of the argument) and thus end up degrading into a flame war.

If someone thinks they have a real good reason why I should leave one of these threads open, and can offer some concrete evidence of new ideas that need to be discussed rather than just rehashing the same old b.s. please feel free to PM me. Otherwise, these threads will continue to be locked.

--kurt
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to complement: the "official" position about this can be found in an interview with Daniel Robbins, pointed here. Question 7 is about the installation process.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: