View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xiber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: KDE 4.3.0 Annoyances Reply with quote

I know, I'm whining, but still... If you have any solutions, thanks.

1: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-787032.html. What? Time widgets require a seperate timezone package?

2: Still can't remove that annoyingly creepy cashew thing

3: Removed all previous ~/.kde4, /tmp/kde*, /var/tmp/kdecache*, ~/.config/menus/* in moving to 4.3.0 still find I have to run kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental to regenerate nonexistent application menus "sometimes"

4: Unlike KDE3.x, kdeinit4 refuses to kill itself if I run and then close a KDE4 dependent app outside of the KDE4 Desktop.

5: I HATE Pannels (and creepy widgets). I'd perfer to just right click anywhere the DESKTOP to get my Application Menu. Haven't seen anyway
to emulate this previous KDE3/KDE2 functionality. (Or perhaps this compromise: creepy cashew + Application Menu All-In-One).

6: Fancy effects like Desktop Grid / Present Windows / Box Switch, etc., are great, but it would be easier and quicker (and less of a motion bluring headache maker) for me to be able to click on the desktop (middle click, right click, whatever click) and get a list of desktops and open apps (yea, just like KDE3/KDE2).

Athlon 64 X2 4600 @ 2.4 GHz | Asus M2N-SLI DLX | 4x1GB PC6400 | 7600GT KO | 7HD @ 3.1TB | OpenSolaris SXCE | 2007
Staren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know, I'm whining, but still... If you have any solutions, thanks.

1: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-787032.html. What? Time widgets require a seperate timezone package?

The ktimezoned package is included in kdebase-meta. Only a tiny number of users will bother emerging individual packages from the kdebase list at such a basic level.

Quote:

Still can't remove that annoyingly creepy cashew thing

If you don't like it just drag it behind the taskbar and lock the widgets of the taskbar after you settled it up. It will be almost invisible behind...

Quote:

3: Removed all previous ~/.kde4, /tmp/kde*, /var/tmp/kdecache*, ~/.config/menus/* in moving to 4.3.0 still find I have to run kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental to regenerate nonexistent application menus "sometimes"

4: Unlike KDE3.x, kdeinit4 refuses to kill itself if I run and then close a KDE4 dependent app outside of the KDE4 Desktop.

5: I HATE Pannels (and creepy widgets). I'd perfer to just right click anywhere the DESKTOP to get my Application Menu. Haven't seen anyway
to emulate this previous KDE3/KDE2 functionality. (Or perhaps this compromise: creepy cashew + Application Menu All-In-One).

6: Fancy effects like Desktop Grid / Present Windows / Box Switch, etc., are great, but it would be easier and quicker (and less of a motion bluring headache maker) for me to be able to click on the desktop (middle click, right click, whatever click) and get a list of desktops and open apps (yea, just like KDE3/KDE2).

Points 5 and 6 are quite relevant... a good interface should be programmable and versatile enough to adapt to different styles! Context menus are practical and efficient as long as they are not overloaded. Programmable context menus may be a good suggestion for the future KDE4 versions...

--
Boccaccio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experience the following annoying points:

1.) After working with KDE-4.3 for an hour or so, the X server (1.5.3-r6) starts to take 100% of one of my dual core. As soon as I log out of KDE and kdm reappears, the X server behaves normal again (I use nvidia-drivers-185.18.31, downgrading to 185.18.29 did not help either). Does anyone have similar problems?

2.) In KDE-4.2 I was able to use the so called regenradar-mac os-dashboard application with plasma. Now in 4.3, this does not work any longer, when I try to add it from file. The same is true for superkaramba applications, they cannot be added either using plasma. Instead I have to run superkaramba seperately with the disadvantage that the superkaramba applet gets shown on all plasma actions, which I do not want to be the case.
Dancingfire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: KDE 4.3.0 Annoyances Reply with quote

xiber wrote:

2. emerge ihatethecashew (there's an ebuild in kde-testing)
5 and 6 are planned for 4.4 (either in main development, either as GSoC project)
xiber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE 4.3.0 Annoyances Reply with quote

Dancingfire wrote:
2. emerge ihatethecashew (there's an ebuild in kde-testing)

Thanks!!! Requires me to rebuild QT with -fvisibility=hidden. Trying to figure out if using this with or without -fvisibility-inlines-hidden in make.conf cflags will break anything.

Athlon 64 X2 4600 @ 2.4 GHz | Asus M2N-SLI DLX | 4x1GB PC6400 | 7600GT KO | 7HD @ 3.1TB | OpenSolaris SXCE | 2007
no4b
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The notification icon is displayed all the time. It annoys me A LOT.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no4b wrote:
The notification icon is displayed all the time. It annoys me A LOT.
I think you can turn it off in the systray settings.
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this can help 8)
no4b
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've found an option. I'm happy now :)
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. 8)
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no4b wrote:
Yes, I've found an option. I'm happy now :)

I actually like the notification system itself, just not the fact that the exclamation mark icon is always there. Is there any way to get it to disappear but still work like it did in 4.2 i.e. only pop up when something e.g. file xfer is happening?
stalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding #6, have you tried with the folder view plasmoid being the entire desktop. Cause when I wheel click I get: Unclutter Windows, Cascade Windows, Desktop 1, open windows ....

And isn't the cashew like half the size now?

The thing that annoys me right now is how the kmenu pops up from the center of where it will be (looks fine for other windows). But that only happens in one account so I'm not too concerned, I'm just not sure why it started with the upgrade.

Think outside the box, give the cat a chance.
quag7
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just now took the plunge to upgrade from 3.5.10 to KDE4 (4.3) - I have to say, there are a lot of things which haven't been intuitive but I will adapt. However...

I could just be doing something wrong but I can't figure it out. I like to have a panel on the bottom with quick launch buttons, and then the task manager above it on a second panel. I can't figure out how to "stack" panels in KDE 4. If I create a new panel and drag it to the bottom of the screen, it sits *on top of* the other panel down there, which makes it useless.

You can see here what I had in KDE 3.5.x which is what I'd like to duplicate in 4:

Anyone know how to do this? Nothing I do will stop the second panel which will contain the task manager from sitting on top of (rather than just "above") the panel I have on the bottom now.

Also, and this is not extremely important because I rarely use it, but the World Clock widget pushes my cores to 100% utilization and hangs my system. Could be just an issue on my system.
pdw_hu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't I switch back to Oxygen (or any other theme for that matter)? The apply button is just grey and no matter what i choose i'm stuck with Air. Anyone have the same?

Tried with a blank .kde4/ dir too, same situation.
onelove
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

switching back to oxygen works well for me. i right-clicked somewhere on the desktop background, chose "Desktop Settings" and in the area "Desktop Theme" i chose "Oxygen". everything was oxygen then :).

regards,
onelove
pdw_hu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onelove wrote:
switching back to oxygen works well for me. i right-clicked somewhere on the desktop background, chose "Desktop Settings" and in the area "Desktop Theme" i chose "Oxygen". everything was oxygen then :).

regards,
onelove

Wow, thanks ;)
Still not being able to do this from systemsettings is quite awkward.
onelove
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Still not being able to do this from systemsettings is quite awkward.

same for me :/.

regards,
onelove
Odysseus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the plunge this past weekend to upgrade my laptop to KDE4.2 and the latest stable Xorg. What a mistake!!!! I'm no newbie but it still took me nearly 3 days just to be able to log in to my desktop. First were all of the major pains in the **s trying to get my touchpad and keyboard properly recognized under the new X so that I could even get into KDE. Then I get to my desktop and .... well it looks pretty but it seems to be the least intuitive setup I've ever seen!!!

I've been using KDE since Mandrake (now Mandriva) forked from Red Hat many moons ago. All of the tricks I've developed and learned appear to be of no use now. On my old KDE 3.x desktop I had a bunch of shortcut links to files, folders, and apps that completely disappeared from the new one. The menu system looks nice but is useless with my touchpad... the slightest errant move shifts the damn thing around so you can't click on what you want to launch.

Which brings me to my biggest complaint, the new desktop is useless! All it seems to be, is a big container for pretty (though useless) widgets and not a place to get work done. Now maybe I've botched my installation (and if I have maybe somebody can help straighten me out), but all of the old functionality that made KDE the best UNIX desktop are gone. Left-click on the destop does nothing, right-click and the only choices you have are about adding, subtracting, or modifying widgets. There is no ability to create anything on the desktop, WTF??!!

Want write something down you either have to launch the app from the menu or launcher, or go through the trouble of launching a file manager then once in a folder you can right click to create just about anything you want. This just doesn't make sense to me... a big step backwards in GUI design IMHO. This is the first desktop ever that makes Windows 2.0 seem intuitive! What good is it to have a desktop work space that you can't do work in? I experiment for awhile and I find a widget that opens up and shows a view of my home directory, miraculously some of my shortcuts/links have survived into this space, but it's so small and cluttered that I've got no room to put anything else.

I don't exactly call this progress! Like I said maybe I've screwed some thing up, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to administer my system in this environment. You can't just log in as root, you can't open a terminal and SU to launch an administrative applet, sudo doesn't seem to work correctly, the only way I've found is to create a new menu item and run it as another user. Again, not intuitive. If this is the GUI of the future then I guess I'm going to be stuck in the past. Because if this is it, I'm switching back to 3.X or trying out the latest Gnome. I need to be able to get work done, I can give a crap about how pretty things are if it slows down my productivity. I want a GUI that makes me more productive not less.

I use computers for work and play, I don't want to have to think about what to do next, I just want to do it! Xcfe as simple as it is, is much more intuitive than this and takes up much less resources. Why would any enterprise want to switch to this (KDE4.x)? Anyone?

If I'm wrong please feel free to point me in the right direction. As a very longtime KDE loyalist I want to like this. Somebody please show me where I've screwed this up. OK, rant over.

Ciao,
Odysseus
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I actually like 4.3.0. I really like the edgescroll which is the main reason why I preferred FVWM over KDE-3.*.

The Kate session widget is very handy - single click and presto a nice shiny kate.

The microblogging widget is also very handy - login once at startup through kde-wallet and twitter right from the desktop!

And it really does look great. :)

Odysseus,

Did you see the movie?
Odysseus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Hunt wrote:

Odysseus,

Did you see the movie?

LoL Yeah, but it still doesn't help me much... like I said.. eye candy.

Ciao,
Odysseus
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odysseus wrote:
**big rant**
I would say that you feel unfamiliar with the current settings. But since you claim you are not a newbie, I can't accept that you haven't figured out how to configure KDE-4 to your liking.

IMO, for a newbie the default desktop is pretty good and provides many needed functionality with less searching and thought.
pingufunkybeat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odysseus wrote:
I've been using KDE since Mandrake (now Mandriva) forked from Red Hat many moons ago. All of the tricks I've developed and learned appear to be of no use now. On my old KDE 3.x desktop I had a bunch of shortcut links to files, folders, and apps that completely disappeared from the new one.

Right-click on the desktop -> Appearance Settings -> Type: Folder View

This will restore the desktop-as-filemanager behaviour.

Quote:
The menu system looks nice but is useless with my touchpad... the slightest errant move shifts the damn thing around so you can't click on what you want to launch.

This is an X/driver problem nothing to do with KDE.

Quote:
Which brings me to my biggest complaint, the new desktop is useless! All it seems to be, is a big container for pretty (though useless) widgets and not a place to get work done. Now maybe I've botched my installation (and if I have maybe somebody can help straighten me out), but all of the old functionality that made KDE the best UNIX desktop are gone. Left-click on the destop does nothing, right-click and the only choices you have are about adding, subtracting, or modifying widgets. There is no ability to create anything on the desktop, WTF??!!

This is the traditional Unix way, but you can have the Windows 95/MacOS way:

Quote:
Want write something down you either have to launch the app from the menu or launcher, or go through the trouble of launching a file manager then once in a folder you can right click to create just about anything you want. This just doesn't make sense to me... a big step backwards in GUI design IMHO. This is the first desktop ever that makes Windows 2.0 seem intuitive! What good is it to have a desktop work space that you can't do work in? I experiment for awhile and I find a widget that opens up and shows a view of my home directory, miraculously some of my shortcuts/links have survived into this space, but it's so small and cluttered that I've got no room to put anything else.

Quote:
I don't exactly call this progress! Like I said maybe I've screwed some thing up, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to administer my system in this environment. You can't just log in as root, you can't open a terminal and SU to launch an administrative applet

You can't run a terminal and su? There is something wrong way beyond KDE if that is the case.

Quote:
sudo doesn't seem to work correctly, the only way I've found is to create a new menu item and run it as another user.

kdesu systemsettings

The button to switch the systemsettings to root is indeed a missing feature, but the line above will help you do everything you need to do.

Quote:
Again, not intuitive. If this is the GUI of the future then I guess I'm going to be stuck in the past. Because if this is it, I'm switching back to 3.X or trying out the latest Gnome. I need to be able to get work done, I can give a crap about how pretty things are if it slows down my productivity. I want a GUI that makes me more productive not less.

I use computers for work and play, I don't want to have to think about what to do next, I just want to do it! Xcfe as simple as it is, is much more intuitive than this and takes up much less resources. Why would any enterprise want to switch to this (KDE4.x)? Anyone?

If I'm wrong please feel free to point me in the right direction. As a very longtime KDE loyalist I want to like this. Somebody please show me where I've screwed this up. OK, rant over.

Ciao,
Odysseus

Looks like you didn't do "Right-click on the desktop -> Appearance Settings -> Type: Folder View"

All of your rant seems to refer to this.

I actually prefer a clean desktop, but some people like the MacOS-style cluttered desktop. Both are available in KDE 4, and I don't think that the discussion over which one should be default is a reason to ditch the whole desktop.
jowr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap what happened with composting and plasma-desktop?

I can't run OpenGL composting anymore.

I can't run any desktop effects without plasma-desktop consuming 20-50% of one core. ON A LAPTOP.

I'm rotating through a bunch of drivers and such but come on!
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jowr wrote:
Holy crap what happened with composting and plasma-desktop?

I can't run OpenGL composting anymore.

I can't run any desktop effects without plasma-desktop consuming 20-50% of one core. ON A LAPTOP.

I'm rotating through a bunch of drivers and such but come on!

Maybe it's your xorg.conf. Post it please.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I can't figure out is that on the KDE website it says:

KDE website wrote:
KDE 4.3.0 (stable version, suitable for everyone)

KDE website wrote:
KDE 4.3 (recommended for end users)

And yet the control center/control panel is STILL broken. While I can fix configuration issues through the config files, I wouldn't even call this version even *remotely* close to ready for end-users. It's been three major releases and they haven't bothered to fix something used to configure KDE. :roll:

I like the desktop, but I really wonder about their priorities.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: