View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grakker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I'm running XFS and preempt on my server and have had no problems at all, aside from one that I caused. This is over several months, one power outage and lots of stupid moves. I've tried the others, and have never had a system that "felt" so solid. Course that's really subjective.
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: preempt optio in the kernel Reply with quote

xming wrote:
in "Processor type and features" -> "Preemptible Kernel", this only applies when you are using gentoo-source (...)

Ah, ok. That's the reason I can't find it. I'm using the xfs-sources and it seems as there is no such patch (perhaps the maintainer already realised the problem and never put this patch in?).

Puh. Now I'm happy with my XFS again. :) Thank you!
thinker5555
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One quick question about XFS here. Has anyone used the extended file attributes? If so, what did you like/dislike about your experience? Have you found them to be useful?

Thanks,
Jeremy
ste
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: unrecoverable crashed XFS root partition :( Reply with quote

I have a big crash with my root partition in XFS : I use the xfs kernel (no other patch), on a duron 800, with a nearly full XFS 4Gb partition.

After a crash, a bad corruption has occured and every time I tried to use the /etc directory, it crash again without any message. I tried fsck.xfs, then, I understood with the so funy fsck.xfs manpage it wasn't the best way to fix the problem. So, i used the helpless xfs_repair, which endend with a fatal error :

Code:

[root@ste linux]# xfs_repair /dev/hda3
Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
Phase 2 - using internal log
        - zero log...
        - scan filesystem freespace and inode maps...
        - found root inode chunk
Phase 3 - for each AG...
        - scan and clear agi unlinked lists...
Phase 6 - check inode connectivity...
        - resetting contents of realtime bitmap and summary inodes
        - ensuring existence of lost+found directory
        - traversing filesystem starting at / ...
rebuilding directory inode 128
        - traversal finished ...
        - traversing all unattached subtrees ...

fatal error -- can't read block 0 for directory inode 16909320

after that, my /etc has disapeard of the filesystem, but the inconsitency is stil there :cry:

I haven't any vital data in it, but if you have any idea, please tell me before I reinstall my system (reiserfs this time). I used reiserfs for a year without any problem, and i was planing to go back to it even before the crash. My XFS only last one month.

Please, if you love XFS, continue to use it, even if it doesn't worked with me, it can work for you perfectly. I don't want to affraid anyone. but I also think the ReiserFS warning in the install doc is not fair, it had been the only reason I was using XFS.

Ste
reverius42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: fs Reply with quote

meyerm wrote:
xming wrote:
For all of you using xfs, TURN OFF preemptive in your kernel, recompile and reboot.

OK, thanks. But just to be really sure: this preempt option is called
Code:
Enable XFS Realtime support
in the config, right?

No, the preempt option is somewhere else entirely... I think the other person who posted last got it right.

I don't know whether that "Enable XFS Realtime support" option is a good idea or not... I've never used it.
ste
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: --pretend funny Reply with quote

<joke mode="silly">
How many $ did SGI gave to gentoo developpers to put such a huge red warning in the doc abour reiserfs ?
</joke>

<joke mode="really_really_silly">
Would you put a warning about ext2 and ext3 and sugest NTFS as a root filesystem if microsoft were paying twice more ? ;)
</joke>
mrchuckles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using ReiserFS, and haven't encountered any problems with it at all. EXT3 is too slow for my tastes, and XFS doesn't play nice with the pre-empt patch. I did find the ResierFS warnings in the Install Guide a bit draconian. I've been using ResierFS on a Squid server for the cache-dir partition for 6 months, with no troubles.

I think it's time to update the Install guide anyway, and this is an area that needs a rewrite.
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to went from EXT3 to Reiser and liked the performance boost (although prob mostly due to changing pipe from 02 to 03 on the reinstall) havent had any probs since the install.....have to admit the doco warning made me a bit apprehensive bout trying it , cant really see why it 's in there at this stage... :roll:

Cheers
Dale.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played for a week with xfs and reiserfs and i finally went back to ext3...it is faster the xfs and almost as fast as reiserfs but alot more durable.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck. i just installed xfs on 2 more boxes (fof a total of 5) and now i hear that a faster fs works better. Is there any way to change ,fs type from xfs to reiser w/out killing my systems.
Robert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:
Is there any way to change ,fs type from xfs to reiser w/out killing my systems.

One way is to:
*boot to the gentoo install cd (or something like tomsrtbt floppy)
*make 2 temp directories.
*mount the original partition (the one you want to switch from xfs) to the first directory
*mount a second hard drive (or some other temp partition w/ enough space) to the second directory.
*move all the data to the temporary partition
*overwrite the xfs partition with zeros: 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hd(?)'
*change fs to reiserfs: '/sbin/mkreiserfs /dev/hd(?)'
*edit fstab to reflect the new fs type
*move all data back to the original partition.
*reboot

I have done it this way. It may seem like a lot, but it's not bad really. Especially if the install(s) are new and the partitions are not so full. If you chose to use only a single "/" for xfs and used ext2/3 for "/boot", it should be pretty painless.

Also you may consider switching only one system over to decide if it's worth it. If xfs is not causing you problems, I am not sure what real noticable advantage reiserfs will give you. I am sure at least that it is debatable ;). The only reason I switched from xfs to reiserfs was because of issues relating to preempt/xfs compatability.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received an e-mail regarding bug 4938, and...
Code:
blocke@gentoo.org changed:

What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
             Status|ASSIGNED                    |RESOLVED
         Resolution|                            |FIXED

Success! :D
surak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's this issue with preemt and xfs? I've been using a preemptive-enabled kernel with XFS for a while now (prolly since gentoo1.1a) without any problems. Anyone wanna clue me in? Someone mentioned earlier about the extra attributes you can use with mkfs.xfs. There used to be a few (which I've been using for a while) on the x86 install guide, but it looks like they've taken them out for some reason. I wish they were better documented since I'm really curious how much of a performance boost you can get. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had any major dataloss, even through a a bunch of power outs with XFS. Also, anyone know how JFS performs? I'm thinking of trying it out when I reinstall for gentoo 1.4
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: