View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Users of the pro-audio overlay and other overlays: please let me know which packages you find useful. I would like to get a better selection of music production packages into our main gentoo repo. (You may have noticed I added a few recently, and updates others.)
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
Users of the pro-audio overlay and other overlays: please let me know which packages you find useful. I would like to get a better selection of music production packages into our main gentoo repo. (You may have noticed I added a few recently, and updates others.)

If you have that much time to invest in maintaining useful packages, consider kindly this tiny sub-set of pro-audio, epsecially, the ladish/laditools[gtk based suite] suite equivalent to the qt based suite around qjackctl which has the advantage of managing studios and/or rooms of pre-configured set up of JACK+clients apps.

NOTE: First, do ignore deadbeef related stuff. Second, laditools should have an opened bug on bgo already for inclusion in the main tree. I don't remember the other related packages in bgo, so, searching beforehand would be handy. And third, a virtual/liblash is necessary to handle this as well. -- But this ebuild is quite simple and straight forward.

Thanks.
lilrc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:

This is a good initiative, as the pro-audio overlay is bit-rotting. Since I have maintained the pro-audio overlay for some time I would like to continue maintainership of a few packages, especially the ladish/lash-related ones and jack2. Are you planning to move libffado and jack2 into the main tree too? If so I have a few considerations, but let's wait with them for now. I am not a gentoo developer, but you could maybe help me become one and I can help you out moving useful packages into the main repo (and keep the maintainership). Also there are a at least one package in the main tree with maintainer-needed that I could maintian (dbus-c++ for example).

I would like to have these packages in the main repo and I would also like to help take care of them:
media-libs/libffado
media-sound/drumkv1
media-sound/gtklick
media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit
media-sound/jack_capture
media-sound/jack_mixer
media-sound/klick
media-sound/ladish
media-sound/samplv1
media-sound/synthv1
sys-firmware/midisport-firmware

I have also worked a little with the drobilla packages (ganv, lilv, sratom, suil), so if any help is needed or wanted I could co-maintain or even maintain these. These packages are fairly easy to maintain since the developement is active and has a nice developer.

tclover wrote:
yngwin wrote:

If you have that much time to invest in maintaining useful packages, consider kindly this tiny sub-set of pro-audio, epsecially, the ladish/laditools[gtk based suite] suite equivalent to the qt based suite around qjackctl which has the advantage of managing studios and/or rooms of pre-configured set up of JACK+clients apps.

NOTE: First, do ignore deadbeef related stuff. Second, laditools should have an opened bug on bgo already for inclusion in the main tree. I don't remember the other related packages in bgo, so, searching beforehand would be handy. And third, a virtual/liblash is necessary to handle this as well. -- But this ebuild is quite simple and straight forward.

Thanks.

This would require that the main tree makes the transition into the liblash virtual, but that would be very good. Then the media-sound/lash and media-sound/lash-original hack can be removed. :) However, the only problem is currently that the ladish homepage [1] is down and has been down for a while. :/

[1] http://ladish.org/
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@lirc and @yngwin: I can also proxy-maintain some packages listed in the above sub-set. However, @yngwin should become a proxy-maintainer for that purpose because proxy-maintainer crew lack manpower especially devs to commits changes in the main tree. I proxy-maintain some packages already, and, sometimes a few months up to half-a-year is necessary to push simple changes to the main tree. I am already sick of this and realize this kind of awful pace which is really counter productive forcing proxy-maintainers to be double available for the bugs and then for the devs later in the process to get anything commited to the main tree.

So, I guess @lirc, the better solution is to aim at getting a dev and then maintain a handful set of packages... But I don't really want to become one. There are some info out there on howto to get a mantor to get some training to become one if you like.

Lastly, @yngwin, consider taking a look at my overlay which has up to date ebuilds... I got sick of the state of some in the pro-audio overlay and did not want to waste my time with subversion. And the tiny crew of proaudio overlay refused repeatedly the transition to git which could get the pull-requests from casual users. Too bad.
spectromas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be good to see some of the main sequencers up to date; radium, gaida, museseq ebuilds are all really old.
I would like to see the kxstudio tools in the portage tree but these would be new ebuilds so perhaps not within the scope for this request.
EmaRsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectromas wrote:
I would like to see the kxstudio tools in the portage tree but these would be new ebuilds so perhaps not within the scope for this request.

+1

Also, my vote is for anything zita-*, guitarix2, calf and x42-plugins.
I'd vote for Ardour, but I actually use the binary from upstream.

The gwc ebuild is out of date, also.
spectromas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmaRsk wrote:
spectromas wrote:

+1

x42, that's a good choice. There are so many packages around now that are not even in the proaudio overly, tal plugins, artyfx stuff, infamous plugins. The kxstudio repos would be the standard to aim for I would say, the developer for that has done so much for linux audio to give his users the cream of the crop in terms of applications and plugins.

EmaRsk wrote:

The gwc ebuild is out of date, also.

So much of it is or the live ebuilds don't work well.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclover wrote:
epsecially, the ladish/laditools[gtk based suite] suite equivalent to the qt based suite around qjackctl which has the advantage of managing studios and/or rooms of pre-configured set up of JACK+clients apps.

I'm a Qt man myself (I actually initiated Gentoo's Qt team as independent project from KDE years ago). But I'm happy to commit ebuilds for a GTK+ suite of tools if you want to maintain them by proxy.

tclover wrote:
a virtual/liblash is necessary to handle this as well. -- But this ebuild is quite simple and straight forward.

Yes, I saw that in the overlay(s). But as you say, this is easy to handle.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilrc wrote:
This is a good initiative, as the pro-audio overlay is bit-rotting.

I see quite a lot of bit-rot and many outdated ebuilds. That's why I am taking this initiative to get the useful packages into the main gentoo repo. I don't see why they should be kept in an overlay, especially one that doesn't seem very active anymore.

lilrc wrote:
Since I have maintained the pro-audio overlay for some time I would like to continue maintainership of a few packages, especially the ladish/lash-related ones and jack2. Are you planning to move libffado and jack2 into the main tree too? If so I have a few considerations, but let's wait with them for now.

Yes. Please let me know your ideas. I'm happy to assign you as maintainer by proxy. I will do as much as I can myself as well, but all help is welcome.

lilrc wrote:
I am not a gentoo developer, but you could maybe help me become one

Yes, contacting me on IRC, or directly by email, will work faster.

lilrc wrote:
I would like to have these packages in the main repo and I would also like to help take care of them:
media-libs/libffado
media-sound/drumkv1
media-sound/gtklick
media-sound/jack_capture
media-sound/jack_mixer
media-sound/klick
media-sound/ladish
media-sound/samplv1
media-sound/synthv1

I have also worked a little with the drobilla packages (ganv, lilv, sratom, suil), so if any help is needed or wanted I could co-maintain or even maintain these. These packages are fairly easy to maintain since the developement is active and has a nice developer.

Great!

tclover wrote:
[...]
This would require that the main tree makes the transition into the liblash virtual, but that would be very good. Then the media-sound/lash and media-sound/lash-original hack can be removed. :) However, the only problem is currently that the ladish homepage is down and has been down for a while.

Suggestions?
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectromas wrote:
Would be good to see some of the main sequencers up to date; radium, gaida, museseq ebuilds are all really old.

Oh, that is definitely within the scope of my request. I would like to see them in the main gentoo repo too. Anyone who wants to start making ebuilds, can contact me, or get help in #gentoo-dev-help on Freenode.

I'm already looking into gaida, and radium is on my radar.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmaRsk wrote:

I already added media-plugins/calf, and I will look at the other suggestions.

EmaRsk wrote:

Ardour is already up to date.
EmaRsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
EmaRsk wrote:

Ardour is already up to date.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I was just giving my feedback about the original question ("please let me know which packages you find useful").
What I meant to say is that - a bit paradoxically - Ardour is the software that I use the most, but it's also the one I find least useful from a portage POV.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
[...]

lilrc wrote:
[...]
@set:
media-libs/libffado
media-sound/drumkv1
media-sound/gtklick
media-sound/jack_capture
media-sound/jack_mixer
media-sound/klick
media-sound/ladish
media-sound/samplv1
media-sound/synthv1

Great!

In that case... look at media-sound/{jack_{capture,mixer},ladish} for updated ebuilds because I've just version bumped jack_capture the other day.

And thus I'd take care of
@set:
media-libs/libffado
media-libs/zita-resampler
media-sound/lash
media-sound/laditools
media-sound/zita-ajbridge
media-plugins/ll-plugins
virtual/liblash
+${EXTRA_DEPS}

media-sound/lash package has only proaudio herd without a specific maintainer in the official tree, so, I could take care of proxy maintaining it.

wrote:
lilrc wrote:
[...]
This would require that the main tree makes the transition into the liblash virtual, but that would be very good. Then the media-sound/lash and media-sound/lash-original hack can be removed. :) However, the only problem is currently that the ladish homepage is down and has been down for a while.

Suggestions?

See above, first. I am not up-to-date with proxy-maintainers infra with the git migration... I guess cloning the (official-mirror-)repos would be convenient and send pull requests that you could simple merge instead of using that old proxy-maint repository. Right?

And lastly... notice that x42-plugins is just in fact a build system repos with numerous git-submodule modules for each plugin witout any versioned tag! So, using something with x42_plugins_<module> USE flags (with/out a variable expand) could be used with a tarball hosted somewhere to avoid having only a keyworded/live package in the official tree. I thought about it in the past and then discarded it because of this...

Is there really a need for this packages with regards to media-plugins/ll-plugins (already in the official tree)?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
I would like to get a better selection of music production packages into our main gentoo repo. (You may have noticed I added a few recently, and updates others.)

Yay! I'm really relieved to see this initiative, and just want to say thanks to you and to all the pro-audio bods.
Glad to see you're on audiodef's topic too.

It's great to see the collaboration in evidence in this thread. :-)
Reminds me of why I love Gentoo and its users (as a collective ofc;)
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclover wrote:
In that case... look at media-sound/{jack_{capture,mixer},ladish} for updated ebuilds because I've just version bumped jack_capture the other day.

Will do.

tclover wrote:
And thus I'd take care of
@set:
media-libs/libffado
media-libs/zita-resampler
media-sound/lash
media-sound/laditools
media-sound/zita-ajbridge
media-plugins/ll-plugins
virtual/liblash
+${EXTRA_DEPS}

media-sound/lash package has only proaudio herd without a specific maintainer in the official tree, so, I could take care of proxy maintaining it.

Instead of assigning specific maintainers, we can keep it as a team effort. If you send me (yngwin@gentoo.org) or the team (proaudio@gentoo.org) an email with a request for adding your email address to the mail alias, I can set it up that way.

tclover wrote:
I am not up-to-date with proxy-maintainers infra with the git migration... I guess cloning the (official-mirror-)repos would be convenient and send pull requests that you could simple merge instead of using that old proxy-maint repository. Right?

Yes, git pull requests on the official github mirror is the recommended way now. But I'm not too picky, and will accept ebuilds / patches / bump requests by email, bugs.gentoo.org, or other ways.

tclover wrote:
And lastly... notice that x42-plugins is just in fact a build system repos with numerous git-submodule modules for each plugin witout any versioned tag! So, using something with x42_plugins_<module> USE flags (with/out a variable expand) could be used with a tarball hosted somewhere to avoid having only a keyworded/live package in the official tree. I thought about it in the past and then discarded it because of this...

Yes, I was looking at that and I didn't see any versioned source tarballs anywhere. We would need to roll our own tarball (which is a slight PITA, but not a big problem), so we can have a snapshot ebuild in our repo.

tclover wrote:
Is there really a need for this packages with regards to media-plugins/ll-plugins (already in the official tree)?

I'm not seeing that package. I am missing something?
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
tclover wrote:

I'm not seeing that package. I am missing something?

Just a typo or missed something because I was thinking of {swh,tap}-plugins and a tiny selection of LV2 plugins in the official tree. So, the question remain... And ll-plugins is in the list of my @set commit(ment or planned futur request.)

And yes, adding volunteer to proaudio herd instead of personnally maintaining specific packages is a good point to be able to give a hand or two with other packages when need be!

Yes add <tokiclover(AT)gmail(DOT)com> to the list then.
I will clone the mirror and submit ebuilds after checking b.g.o for old submission requests to close a few bugs then.
spectromas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://github.com/mtytel/helm
This would be nice to have in the tree as well, a new synth but quite popular already.
spectromas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GUI version of these just got released - https://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on the following version bump:

Bug 570814 - media-sound/hydrogen: Version bump to 0.9.6
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=570814

https://github.com/hydrogen-music/hydrogen/releases
Quote:

Hydrogen 0.9.6.1
@mauser mauser released this on 10 Sep 2014
Hydrogen 0.9.7-beta1
@mauser mauser released this on 16 Oct 2015 · 70 commits to master since this release

Just to let you know, in case it's of interest! :)
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:

Instead of assigning specific maintainers, we can keep it as a team effort. If you send me (yngwin@gentoo.org) or the team (proaudio@gentoo.org) an email with a request for adding your email address to the mail alias, I can set it up that way.

Is proaudio@gentoo.org a mailing list? Are there any archives anywhere? I searched earlier the list of gentoo mailing lists, but proaudio was not listed.

I am asking both in the context of the aforementioned media-sound/hydrogen upgrade; as well as in this context:

New wiki page for new/occasional contributors
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=570938
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:

I think jack2 (in a slot) would be an obvious option. There's an ebuild for it in the proaudio overlay that works.

As already mentioned the KX Studio applications are another obvious option. IMHO Claudia is the best LADISH GUI there is and Carla as a plugin host works very well (though I haven't tried any others).
A Cadance and a Carla ebuild can be found here https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?p=66866&sid=643c24dce775c770742988277057f215#p66866
If necessary I might be able to spend some time in one of the next weekends to create a proper ebuild for Claudia.

Also, maybe the Non* applications like Non Session Manager? I haven't worked with them yet, but people seem to like them.
spectromas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah NON applications would be very welcome, the session manager is very good.
lacimarsik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vote fro Cadence, Carla, Claudia

simonvanderveldt wrote:

A Cadance and a Carla ebuild can be found here https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?p=66866&sid=643c24dce775c770742988277057f215#p66866
If necessary I might be able to spend some time in one of the next weekends to create a proper ebuild for Claudia.

simonvanderveldt - thanks for the ebuilds, did you by any chance succeed also with an ebuild for Claudia? Also, I haven't found those 3 in an overlay together (not in proaudio), do you have some suggestion on how to have them in the tree the best way, in the meantime? (private overlay with your ebuilds?)

Thank you a lot!
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@lacimarsik: Sorry, I didn't have topic reply notifications turned on for this topic, so missed your reply.
Anyway, I've updated the ebuilds for both Carla and Cadence (which includes Claudia) and put them in my overlay https://github.com/simonvanderveldt/simonvanderveldt-overlay
Note that I'm not sure yet I will continue using Cadence, so can't guarantee I'll keep that one up to date.

Carla I will keep using and by extension updating for the foreseeable future, because I need it for LV2 support in LMMS (which doesn't have LV2 support yet).
lacimarsik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, thank you @simonvanderveldt !
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: