Problems building and installing KDM 3.5.10
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panik08
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Problems building and installing KDM 3.5.10 Reply with quote

Hi folks.

I'm trying to build KDM version 3.5.10 (I'd rather not go up to KDE 4 just yet) but I'm having difficulties doing so. I'm building with GCC 4.4.1 on x86_64.

Anyway, here's what I think is wrong:
Code:
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/work/kdm-3.5.10/kdm/kfrontend/sessions'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/work/kdm-3.5.10/kdm/kfrontend/sessions'
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/work/kdm-3.5.10/kdm/kfrontend'
make[3]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/work/kdm-3.5.10/kdm/kfrontend'
test -z "/usr/kde/3.5/bin" || mkdir -p -- "/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/image//usr/kde/3.5/bin"
  /bin/sh ../../libtool --silent --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c -p  'kdm_config' '/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/image//usr/kde/3.5/bin/kdm_config'
  /bin/sh ../../libtool --silent --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c -p  'kdm_greet' '/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/image//usr/kde/3.5/bin/kdm_greet'
  /bin/sh ../../libtool --silent --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c -p  'krootimage' '/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/image//usr/kde/3.5/bin/krootimage'
  /bin/sh ../../libtool --silent --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c -p  'genkdmconf' '/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/image//usr/kde/3.5/bin/genkdmconf'
  /bin/sh ../../libtool --silent --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c -p  'kdmctl' '/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/image//usr/kde/3.5/bin/kdmctl'
./genkdmconf --in /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/image//usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm --no-in-notice --face-src ./pics --no-old --no-backup --no-in-notice
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/work/kdm-3.5.10/kdm/kfrontend'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/work/kdm-3.5.10/kdm/kfrontend'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/work/kdm-3.5.10/kdm/kfrontend'
sed: can't read /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/image///usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/kdmrc: Not a directory
 * ERROR: kde-base/kdm-3.5.10 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_install
 *             environment, line 4619:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       sed -i -e "s:#SessionsDirs=:SessionsDirs=/usr/share/xsessions
 * #SessionsDirs=:" "${D}/${KDEDIR}/share/config/kdm/kdmrc" || die
 *  The die message:
 *   (no error message)
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/temp/environment'.
 * QA Notice: Unrecognized configure options:
 *    configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --without-debug
 *    configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --without-debug

sed: can't read /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/image///usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/kdmrc: Not a directory

Well, there is a /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/image///usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm but it's not a directory, it's a file with the following contents:

Code:
This automatically generated configuration consists of the following files:
- /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
- /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/Xaccess
- /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/Xwilling
- /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/Xsetup
- /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/Xstartup
- /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/Xreset
- /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/Xsession
- /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/backgroundrc

This config was derived from existing files. As the used algorithms are
pretty dumb, it may be broken.
Information from these files was extracted:
- /etc/inittab

Try 'genkdmconf --help' if you want to generate another configuration.

You may delete this README.

Since it's not a directory, of course it can't contain a file called kdmrc (as per the error above).

I have no idea if that's the actual error or not. I've built earlier versions of KDM on this installation before, always without any problems.

Is there a practical way of attaching the entire build.log to this post, or should I just paste it all in? Or something else entirely?

Thanks.
mars-red
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

That looks fishy to me, due to the 3 consecutive slashes. Perhaps it is unrelated to the root cause of your problem, but the last time I saw something like that (not long ago, actually), it was a problem with some system scripts that were pulling empty strings instead of actual paths from certain environment variables.

I am not familiar with the kdm image, but does the same path exist on your system with the 3 consecutive slashes replaced with one? So if you look at /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdm-3.5.10/image/usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/kdmrc does that exist? And if so, is it a directory or a file?
panik08
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's the same path no matter how many slashes you put in it.

Try it; for example go to ///usr/bin or /boot/////grub

I think you're on to something with regards to possibly empty strings, but I don't know enough about Gentoo to know where to look. I'd be glad for any suggestions.

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: