Tor Browser Bundle breaks
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrStrix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Tor Browser Bundle breaks Reply with quote

Hi

I have some problems running the tor browser bundle. I first tried to simply download the package from torproject.org. Running the bundle from there gives me the following errors and stops running immerdiately:

Code:

$ ~/Downloads/tor-browser_en-US/Browser % ./start-tor-browser --verbose

(process:32335): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
out of memory
out of memory
./start-tor-browser: line 368: 32335 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) TOR_CONTROL_PASSWD=${TOR_CONTROL_PASSWD} ./firefox --class "Tor Browser" -profile TorBrowser/Data/Browser/profile.default "${@}" < /dev/null

Then I installed the 'torbrowser' ebuild from overlays.gentoo.org. This one opens firefox, but gives me the warning that it is not connected to the tor network:

Code:

$ torbrowser

(process:8817): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
console.error:
  [CustomizableUI]
  Custom widget with id loop-button does not return a valid node

When I try to open the "Tor Network Settings" nothing happens at all. Can somebody point out a direction where to look for the problem?
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I just use an old Vidalia build (was in portage but was removed many months pack for being unmaintained upstream -- a shame since it was very useful) along with a different browser configured to use TOR. That works well for me.

I went ahead though and tried to install the torbrowser from the overlay you referenced. I too get the same behavior and this is without having my Vidalia open or starting an existing tor instance, etc. Something seems seriously messed up with the build. The maintainer seems to be actively maintaining the package however as there have been several releases this month. You might try talking with them.

Also I see upstream that the recent torbrowser releases have been pretty buggy for people.

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/16863
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-50-released (see comments where one is having the same warning messages as you).

It didn't seem like tor was running so I also tried running tor separately in another window. Even then unfortunately it did not work even though the terminal output showed it was listening on the correct port (9050). However while doing this I am able to go to my other browser (seamonkey) and get it to work using port 9050. My conclusion then is that Tor is working correctly but something is wrong with the tor browser itself.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: