Installing gentoo over sabayon
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dejima
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Installing gentoo over sabayon Reply with quote

I have an old installation of sabayon on my laptop and I would like to wipe it out so I can install gentoo.
The problem is that my dvd drive does not work so I ll have to do it on the running sabayon installation.

I was thinking that if
1) I remove all unnecessary packages and keep only what is needed
2) Update the kept ones
3) Start building my system

will do the trick.

What do you think of this approach?
Which packages should be kept ?
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 thoughts:

have you tried to boot of a live usb stick? sysRescCD (gentoo based) has a nice installer to do that.

I guess it could work, but you have to keep in mind, that you may have some Sabayon leftovers which may or may not cause some problems. IMO a fresh install is the better/cleaner solution.

just my .02$
V.
dejima
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veldrin wrote:
2 thoughts:

have you tried to boot of a live usb stick? sysRescCD (gentoo based) has a nice installer to do that.

I guess it could work, but you have to keep in mind, that you may have some Sabayon leftovers which may or may not cause some problems. IMO a fresh install is the better/cleaner solution.

just my .02$
V.

That would be the best solution but if I decide to go with my approach which packages should I keep ?
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depend on how much you want to keep.

the most radical approach would be to remove or clean the world file, run a depclean (emerge -av --depclean), rebuild the toolchain (emerge -a1 linux-headers glibc gcc binutils), rebuild system (and world) (emerge -e world or emerge -e world), and the start (almost) from scratch.

the opposite would be to keep everything, and just rebuild the toolchain (emerge -a1 linux-headers glibc gcc binutils) and then rebuild world (emerge -e world).

for sure, you can choose a path in the middle, and just remove some bloat, then continue as above.

there are two thing I am currently unsure:
* what portage tree is used in sabayon, and if it is separate one, can it be switched to the gentoo portage tree?
* how well are is portage integrated? and how sane the make.conf defaults are in sabayon?

V.
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veldrin wrote:

* what portage tree is used in sabayon, and if it is separate one, can it be switched to the gentoo portage tree?

Sabayon uses Gentoo's portage tree with the Sabayon overlays.

Veldrin wrote:
* how well are is portage integrated? and how sane the make.conf defaults are in sabayon?

Sabayon is usually ready to use portage. But the make.conf and /etc/portage/* files are customized. You'd want to review them and adjust as needed.

I've converted many Sabayon installations to updating with portage. It's doable, but there are always issues to deal with.

As Veldrin said, if you can boot from a USB thumb drive, that would be a cleaner solution. There isn't much point to stripping Sabayon down to nearly Stage 3 so you can have a Gentoo-like core.

Maybe use gparted to make a small second partition you can use to get a small linux installation running for installing of the larger partition.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: