vmware-server: 'kernel stack fault' when starting client os
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeanluca
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: vmware-server: 'kernel stack fault' when starting client os Reply with quote

Hi All

I have installed vmware-server. I downloaded an windows XP iso file and installed it. When I try to run it I get the following message:

Code:
Message from www.example.com: *** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) *** The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware Server software. Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down.

Any suggestion where to start searching ?

cheers
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: how was downloaded iso built? Reply with quote

I've always built my guests from a loadset from within either kvm or vmware. How was your guest iso built "wherever"? It could be looking for virtual hardware that doesn't exist on your host vmware or for device drivers for virtual hardware that existed when it was built that isn't provided by your vmware host.
jeanluca
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've downloaded it from mdsn.microsoft.com.
I tried the ISO on my mac, which has vmware-player, and the installation process started, until I noticed I had the wrong license key
I assumed that using the wrong key should not give this error, also because the installation process didn't really start, it was restarting all the time
So first I saw the vmware logo, then something unreadble (big letters ) and then a reboot
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: