Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo Acer 803LCi support thread (discussion section)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefandoesinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Smartcard Driver again Reply with quote

Hi,
I made a quick and dirty port of the driver to Linux 2.6 and uploaded it to http://doesi.gmxhome.de/ozscrlx.tar.bz2. You can give it a try, but don't complain if it's not 100% GPL-conform, because I didn't yet document the changes I made.

The driver compiles and loads successfully. Card access doesn't work yet, pcsc_demo gives "No smartcard inserted" if no card is inserted(correct) and "Card protocol mismatch" if one is inserted.

Stefan

EDIT: Fixed the link from ftp to http

Last edited by stefandoesinger on Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
pjv
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that's nice! This one seems to be open source (by its title) so you can actually port it. The last one I saw was closed source.

Last edited by pjv on Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
pjv
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ofcourse the link to Stefan's code is an http one. Otherwise we have no access.

And this is the right link to the original code.

Last edited by pjv on Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
pjv
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting this at the moment:
Code:
modprobe ozscrlx
FATAL: Error inserting ozscrlx (/lib/modules/2.6.12-gentoo-r6/misc/ozscrlx.ko): Invalid module format
Either I don't have enough support for ELF-like things or this module was just converted to 2.6, i.e. the file extension was changed to .ko but the file format was not updated properly (I'm guessing that with the rename to .ko a couple of years back there was also a new file format or something).

Anyhow, it compiles without errors (still quite some warnings though). So keep up the good work ;-)!!

I used to have a 2.4 testing kernel for purposes like these, too bad i deleted it like a month ago or so :(
stefandoesinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Link Reply with quote

pjv wrote:
Ofcourse the link to Stefan's code is an http one. Otherwise we have no access.

Oh, sorry, I didn't check this. I had access to the ftp link, because konqueror has the username and the password stored. Thanks for mentioning this.
stefandoesinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjv wrote:
I'm getting this at the moment:
Code:
modprobe ozscrlx
FATAL: Error inserting ozscrlx (/lib/modules/2.6.12-gentoo-r6/misc/ozscrlx.ko): Invalid module format
Either I don't have enough support for ELF-like things or this module was just converted to 2.6, i.e. the file extension was changed to .ko but the file format was not updated properly (I'm guessing that with the rename to .ko a couple of years back there was also a new file format or something).

Anyhow, it compiles without errors (still quite some warnings though). So keep up the good work ;-)!!

Does the newly compiled module cause this error? This is strange, it seems that something is wrong with the Makefile I've added. Odd!
stefandoesinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a suggestion:

The smartcard driver seems to be what we need, but it seems to need some work to work properly. O2Micro seems not to have the time needed to improve the driver. What if we offered them to take over the care for this driver.

I am thinking about opening a new Project at SF.net or somewhere else, and to rewrite parts of this driver. The following things come into my mind:

*Make the driver working, fix things like the Protocol type problem
*Proper 2.6 Port
*The driver consists of a LARGE kernel module and a small user space lib. Try to move parts from the kernel to user space
*Accessing the card seems to block the whole system. This should be fixed.
*Other problems that might occur

Does anyone have some time to spare for development / testing? It doesn't have to be a lot of time, just a little bit.

Stefan
pjv
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please go ahead if you feel up to it. I don't think you have to ask them, just start a Sf project, they put the code up there for some reason. Just be aware that the whole pcsc thing is immensly complex. Ok, they added a pdf with registers and such, but still it will be very hard. However I'm amazed that you succeeded in porting it. My knowledge of kernel programming is much less (not to say non-existant), and so is my time. I could only test things from time to time maybe.

Btw I'll look at that error later.
stefandoesinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjv wrote:
Please go ahead if you feel up to it. I don't think you have to ask them, just start a Sf project, they put the code up there for some reason. Just be aware that the whole pcsc thing is immensly complex. Ok, they added a pdf with registers and such, but still it will be very hard. However I'm amazed that you succeeded in porting it. My knowledge of kernel programming is much less (not to say non-existant), and so is my time. I could only test things from time to time maybe.

Well, from the GPL point of view there's no problem with this, but I like O2Micro to know about this and ask them if that's OK with them. I've just sent a mail to Eric Still, and I am waiting for a reply.

The pcsc thing is complex, and before you can expect any results I'll have to read a lot of documentation. The register documentation might really turn out to be usefull.

Porting the driver was quite easy, I just had to replace a few 2.4 specific kernel calls with the 2.6 ones, for example the Linux driver model, the new pcmcia functions and some changes to the interrupt handling. So no pcsc things :)
stefandoesinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more good news:

Eric Still just replied to my mail and told me that O2micro has developed a 2.6 driver with major changes, and they are about to release it with full source by the end of the month.

I'll wait for this driver before I waste my time.

Stefan
tuxlover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: O2Micro SmartcardReader Reply with quote

feffi wrote:
Good news for today :) This is an email I got from Eric Still, the responsive for linux at O2Micro:

Quote:

Hello Kevin,
We are currently working on updating the SCR driver to kernel 2.6. We hope that it should be available by the end of the month. We know we have been very late in providing a solution. We are very resource limited and have been extremely busy on many new products requiring Windows support. We are not ignoring the Linux community. We do understand that Linux is something that we need to support.

pjv wrote:
I don't want to curb your enthousiasm but i got the same a year before.

This was on July 3rd...
stefandoesinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: O2Micro SmartcardReader Reply with quote

tuxlover wrote:
feffi wrote:
Good news for today :) This is an email I got from Eric Still, the responsive for linux at O2Micro:

Quote:

Hello Kevin,
We are currently working on updating the SCR driver to kernel 2.6. We hope that it should be available by the end of the month. We know we have been very late in providing a solution. We are very resource limited and have been extremely busy on many new products requiring Windows support. We are not ignoring the Linux community. We do understand that Linux is something that we need to support.

pjv wrote:
I don't want to curb your enthousiasm but i got the same a year before.

This was on July 3rd...

With the 2.4 driver we can at least help ourselves if it turns out to be necessary.
feffi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: O2Micro Driver for kernel 2.6 available :) Reply with quote

Hehe, good news: "at the end of the month" (this year has only 4 month i guess then :lol: ) I got mail from O2Micro about the Smartcard driver for a 2.6x kernel :)

Here's the mail:
Code:

Hi Kevin,
We have completed our PCMCIA SCR Linux kernel 2.6 Driver.
You can download the open-source package here:
ftp://scrdriver:scrdriver@209.19.104.194/Linux/O2Micro_PCMCIA_SCR_201_Linux_Kernel26_OpenSource.tar.gz
Please ensure a complete link from "ftp" through ".gz".  Line seperation/truncation may have occurred by the email clients or servers.  You may have to reconstruct the link with notepad and copy and past the link into your browser.
BR,
Eric.

Here is the Link: ftp://scrdriver:scrdriver@209.19.104.194/Linux/O2Micro_PCMCIA_SCR_201_Linux_Kernel26_OpenSource.tar.gz
If anyone is able to get it working properly, PM me, write it to the wiki and shout HOOOOOOORAY :)

feffi

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question!

Gentoo-Wiki: Acer Travelmate 803 LCi manual
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think we were annoying enough that they uploaded a driver for us :P
If that works, I would be interested in some topic like logging in via smartcard or some encrypted storage with the key on the card... *dreaming*

Rei
feffi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it working and shouted HOOOOOORAY.
Just follow the instructions included in the tar.gz

Now I'm working on pam_x509 integration with the Smartcard for authentication :)

feffi

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question!

Gentoo-Wiki: Acer Travelmate 803 LCi manual
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I get is the following problem:

Code:
acer OZSCR_2.0.1_Kern_2.6 # ./configure-debug
Found pcsclite 1.2.9 in /usr/lib
Found kernel 2.6.13-suspend2-r4 includes directory
Building OZSCR modules...
rm -f *.o
rm -f *.ko
rm -f *.mod.*
rm -f .*.cmd
rm -rf .tmp_*
rm -f *~
make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=`pwd` modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.13-suspend2-r4'
  CC [M]  /root/OZSCR_2.0.1_Kern_2.6/src/ozscrlx/ozscrlx.o
/root/OZSCR_2.0.1_Kern_2.6/src/ozscrlx/ozscrlx.c: In function `cs_error':
/root/OZSCR_2.0.1_Kern_2.6/src/ozscrlx/ozscrlx.c:516: warning: implicit declaration of function `pcmcia_report_error'
/root/OZSCR_2.0.1_Kern_2.6/src/ozscrlx/ozscrlx.c: In function `init_ozscrlx':
/root/OZSCR_2.0.1_Kern_2.6/src/ozscrlx/ozscrlx.c:1119: error: `servinfo_t' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/OZSCR_2.0.1_Kern_2.6/src/ozscrlx/ozscrlx.c:1119: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/root/OZSCR_2.0.1_Kern_2.6/src/ozscrlx/ozscrlx.c:1119: error: for each function it appears in.)
/root/OZSCR_2.0.1_Kern_2.6/src/ozscrlx/ozscrlx.c:1119: error: parse error before "serv"
/root/OZSCR_2.0.1_Kern_2.6/src/ozscrlx/ozscrlx.c:1123: warning: implicit declaration of function `pcmcia_get_card_services_info'
/root/OZSCR_2.0.1_Kern_2.6/src/ozscrlx/ozscrlx.c:1123: error: `serv' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/OZSCR_2.0.1_Kern_2.6/src/ozscrlx/ozscrlx.c:1125: error: `CS_RELEASE_CODE' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [/root/OZSCR_2.0.1_Kern_2.6/src/ozscrlx/ozscrlx.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/root/OZSCR_2.0.1_Kern_2.6/src/ozscrlx] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.13-suspend2-r4'
make: *** [default] Error 2
cp -f ozscrlx.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/pcmcia
cp: cannot stat `ozscrlx.ko': No such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error 1
rm -f *.o
rm -f *.ko
rm -f *.mod.*
rm -f .*.cmd
rm -rf .tmp_*
rm -f *~
Copying files...
Old /etc/reader.conf backedup as /etc/reader.conf.bak
/etc/reader.conf updated
OZSCR installation complete.

Kernel: Linux acer 2.6.13-suspend2-r4 #1 Wed Sep 14 10:09:20 CEST 2005 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1400MHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
feffi, which one do you use?

Rei
stefandoesinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got that mail too, but unfortunatly I am unable to test because by Travelmate broke down. :( Black Screen, and I've just brought it to the Acer people to fix it. I hope it's not too expensive :(
Fladnag
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The news of a working smartcard driver (yay!) got me back into Gentoo and another hunt for a fix for my b44 troubles (unstable link with traffic >10k/s).

Someone mentioned that the same problem had happened after a BIOS update. A visit to the BIOS and a quick 'Reset to default settings' later, I now have a working network interface again.
Moral of the story: Always reset your BIOS after an update. :oops: Now, off to update the system and give those smartcard drivers a test.

I hope your Travelmate gets well soon Stefan, that's really unfortunate.
floppes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit software-offtopic:

I noticed a very silent sough from my Travelmate when it is switched off. I can only hear it in a silent environment and when I put my ear as close as a few centimeters to the bottom. It is a high tone. The source seems to be a capacitor.
I have already removed all easily removable parts (WLAN adapter, DVD-drive, RAM, hard-disk), but it will only stop when removing the battery.

Do your Travelmates make the same sound? I wonder if my board is broken...
stefandoesinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know such a noise from my Travelmate, and my friend's does that too. I always suspected the wlan card, but you proved me wrong by removing it.

I think this noise is normal, maybe it's some power control thing. It's different when the power cord is attached and when the notebook is in S3 sleep.

Still no news from the Acer guys about my TM :( , but I can ask them about this noise when I get my TM back.
floppes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote Acer an e-mail about the noise and I just got their answer: they say its a hardware malfunction and I should send in the TM. But I can't work without it, and as it seems to be quite normal I will keep it. As long as it makes no problems I'm fine :)

Yes, please ask them, maybe they will say something different.
stefandoesinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have warranty you should get this thing fixed, I think. Perhaps it's a sign of later problems.
tuxlover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floppes wrote:
But I can't work without it

It took Acer from Thursday to Monday to fix a problem I was having (they picked it up on Thursday, got it back on Monday). They're extremely quick as far as I know.

Unfortunately, *my* warranty has run out already... Has anybody bought a warranty renewal package (in Germany)? Can I still do this in my case?
stefandoesinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuxlover wrote:

It took Acer from Thursday to Monday to fix a problem I was having (they picked it up on Thursday, got it back on Monday). They're extremely quick as far as I know.

It was the same when I had a display problem fixed 2 years ago(some pixels had a wrong color). It took them 2 days.

This time however, I brought it to the Acer Service center Thursday in the Morning, and I haven't heard anything from them by now(Tuesday evening).
pjv
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this sound always too. i think I reported it a while ago. But it's mostly during use of the lappie. And especially when running Windows XP. I think it is a capacitor too that comes into play when CPU frequency or bus speed frequency or something is switched.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 28 of 30

Jump to: