A "user configure" option for all ebuilds
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konstk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: A "user configure" option for all ebuilds Reply with quote

I think it would be usefull to have an option for any ebuild where instead of using the preconfigured settings or the generalized USE variables which are becoming hard to manage that there should be an option where before compiling there is an question and answer part for detailed configuration which is later saved for future recompiling.
cvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second this. I like the way Debian does the configuration stuff.

cvk

Didn't mean to offend anyone by using the D-word :)
Xiol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice idea to me.

Though, I have nothing against the good ol' method of hacking the ebuild. ;)
djco
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. It's ridiculous that mysql has to be installed when I want to install kde or gnome, so obviously the system with the USE flags isn't working to well. Something else should be thought of, maybe just asking for some options when an ebuild is installed.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuzhai wrote:
I concur. It's ridiculous that mysql has to be installed when I want to install kde or gnome, so obviously the system with the USE flags isn't working to well. Something else should be thought of, maybe just asking for some options when an ebuild is installed.

Take mysql out of your default USE flags and only supply it as an explicit argument when you need it?

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
bmichaelsen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Take mysql out of your default USE flags and only supply it as an explicit argument when you need it?

Thats right.

But I like the idea of the configuration with with a ebiuld was conpiled to be stored somewhere (like the output of emerge info). If you made changes to the system (USE-Flags, Compiler useed, whatever), you still have the info how the package was compiled. This could even be supported by portage and would not be too hard to implement, I think. And maybe one could later reemerge the package with the same parameters with a simple flag to emerge.

Greetz, Björn
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmichaelsen wrote:
But I like the idea of the configuration with with a ebiuld was conpiled to be stored somewhere (like the output of emerge info). If you made changes to the system (USE-Flags, Compiler useed, whatever), you still have the info how the package was compiled. This could even be supported by portage and would not be too hard to implement, I think. And maybe one could later reemerge the package with the same parameters with a simple flag to emerge.

/var/db/pkg/<category>/<package>-<version>/
Tisephone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, how about a way to let emerge know when you've explicitely changed a USE flag (on the command line), so that you can update the world without getting crud you didn't want, if you happen to have excluded one of your usual flags from some lone package? (For me, it's gnome 1.x.)

I envision: emerge --use="-foo" bar-2.4.2
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see emerge be completely interactive.
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am a contrarian because I think making emerge interactive is a big step in the wrong direction. Imagine if I want to rebuild my entire system. I don't mind if the machine takes days to compile but I sure the heck don't want to have to stand around and wait for it to ask me questions before it can continue. I might as well be installing Windows.

I don't mean to imply that your concerns aren't valid. I think you have valid concerns and are making interesting suggestions. I just happen to think that keeping emerge non-interactive is a Good Thing [tm].
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:
I guess I am a contrarian because I think making emerge interactive is a big step in the wrong direction. Imagine if I want to rebuild my entire system. I don't mind if the machine takes days to compile but I sure the heck don't want to have to stand around and wait for it to ask me questions before it can continue. I might as well be installing Windows.

I don't mean to imply that your concerns aren't valid. I think you have valid concerns and are making interesting suggestions. I just happen to think that keeping emerge non-interactive is a Good Thing [tm].

It of course can have sane defaults. This way you could just trust the defaults or you could costomize it to heck. That is what linux is about: choice
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge will never be interactive, but there might be an alternate interactive frontend once we have a modular codebase and removed all the backend code from emerge itself.
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't someone already making an "interactive" version of emerge?
I forget the name of it but I distinctly remember a screenshot of a "emerge -up world" operation where you could pick and choose what you want to upgrade and what USE flags you want to use for each package.
Something like that would definitely be nice to have the option of using, but chances are I wouldn't have much use for it over the current implementation of it most of the time.
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjaded wrote:
Isn't someone already making an "interactive" version of emerge?
I forget the name of it but I distinctly remember a screenshot of a "emerge -up world" operation where you could pick and choose what you want to upgrade and what USE flags you want to use for each package.

It's called rtkmerge and is in portage. Depends on ruby though.

[EDIT:] no it is not in portage (I just stumbled over my PORTDIR_OVERLAY), but there is a thread about it here
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: