Removing unneeded packages
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neptune
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Removing unneeded packages Reply with quote

Hello, this has probably been asked, but I can't find any valuable answer. I have a router installed with Gentoo. After some emerges, I list all installed package and see that xfree is installed.

I really don't need xfree on a router. So I've put -X in my /etc/make.conf file. Good. Now, how to know wich installation has requested xfree as a dependency and how to unmerge it (xfree) without breaking the package that requested its installation?

Doing a emerge depclean doesn't help. So, what I want is to remove package really not needed on a router like xfree, freetype, qt,...

Thanks in advance for helping!
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be on the safe side I would do the following:

- set USE="-* other use flags you need" as there are more USE flags that affect the nstallation of xfree (like qt, gtk, tcltk, ...). emerge ufed to get a list of all available USE flags
- run emerge -e world to recompile your system, you might get problems if packages were compiled against xfree/qt/... if you're not doing this.
- run emerge -p depclean and unmerge packages you don't need.

This will obviously take a lot of time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: