Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Unable to emerge xfree binaries on very basic install.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Unable to emerge xfree binaries on very basic install. Reply with quote

I am having difficulty installing xfree using the pre-compiled binaries. I am new to Gentoo, but have successfully installed a basic system.

(I understand that I can choose to rebuild everything from source; but I'd rather leave that for when my system is otherwise idle for a few days.)

[1] I have a booted Gentoo system, based on a stage3 install and 'emerge sync'. X11 is not installed. 'emerge sync' has been completed successfully.

[2] Since I'm not sure emerge knows how to "span" multiple CDs with PKGDIR (perhaps its a simple as defining PKGDIR to be multiple paths), I copy all the packages from both ISOs into /tmp/packages (See below for details, in case I did something stupid.)

[3] OK, we want to rely on the binaries during our emerge
Code:
export PKGDIR=/tmp/packages
emerge -k -f xfree

But, stuff gets downloaded from the Internet, including X430src-*.tgz, comic32.exe, etc. I also see XFree86-4.3.0-patches-1.1.7, which I'm assuming is going to cascade into a full build of the xfree server from sources.

What am I doing wrong folks? I'd be grateful if someone would help me figure this out.

-----------

The ISO cdroms were fetched from
ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo/releases/
/pub/gentoo/releases/x86/1.4/livecd/i686/
i686-1.4-20030806-cd1.iso
i686-1.4-20030803-cd2.iso

I downloaded these to my other stable box (running Debian, sorry)
mounted them, and copied the packages locally...

mount nfs.box:/iso /mnt/net
mount -t iso9660 nfs.box:/iso -o ro,loop /mnt/net/i686-1.4-20030806-cd1.iso /mnt/net1
mount -t iso9660 nfs.box:/iso -o ro,loop /mnt/net/i686-1.4-20030803-cd2.iso /mnt/net2

/mnt/net1/distfiles contains NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4363.tar.gz (etc)
/mnt/net1/packages/All/... (lots ot tbz2 files)
/mnt/net2/packages/All/... (lots ot tbz2 files)

cp -aR /mnt/net1/packages/All/* /tmp/packages
cp -aR /mnt/net2/packages/All/* /tmp/packages

-----------
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cp -a /mnt/cdrom/packages/All /usr/portage/packages/All
emerge -k xfree

Thats all I had to do and it worked

you dont want "X430src-*.tgz".. you want the single file
I know that ftp://ibiblio.org in the gentoo distfiles folder has the correct version of the xfree binaries... you downloaded the source code
quip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oubipaws wrote:
emerge -k xfree

Thats all I had to do and it worked

I'd be grateful if you'd let me know the full path to the ISO/CD images from which you copied the files. That way I can try to reproduced what worked for you. The files I pulled appear to be the same as those on ibiblio. I am checking the md5 now...

I will delete the current contents of /usr/portage and will copy the contents of the cdrom in the manner you suggest.

oubipaws wrote:
you dont want "X430src-*.tgz".. you want the single file
I know that ftp://ibiblio.org in the gentoo distfiles folder has the correct version of the xfree binaries... you downloaded the source code

Actually, emerge downloaded these files in response to the emerge. That's what I find confusing.
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the GRP cd's
it comes with a portage snapshot, the kernel, x, and kde

if you go down to the GRP install process on the install guide it explains what to copy and such.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to emerge xfree binaries on very basic install. Reply with quote

Quote:

[1] I have a booted Gentoo system, based on a stage3 install and 'emerge sync'. X11 is not installed. 'emerge sync' has been completed successfully.

this could be the problem, if in the meantime there is a new version in portage. if this is the case, you have to tell emerge to install the "old" version from cd.

Quote:

[3] OK, we want to rely on the binaries during our emerge
Code:
export PKGDIR=/tmp/packages
emerge -k -f xfree

seems to be ok, however, are you able to emerge anything using the binary files? just to make sure a typo in above code doesn't cause the error.

Quote:

But, stuff gets downloaded from the Internet, including X430src-*.tgz, comic32.exe, etc. I also see XFree86-4.3.0-patches-1.1.7, which I'm assuming is going to cascade into a full build of the xfree server from sources.

there have been some type errors in the first install docs. they should have been corrected in the newer iso's you are using, but you never know...
most likely you'll find your answer in this thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=72751
quip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasonable enough. I downloaded the CDs. Can you let me know what the MD5 checksums are on the CDs you got? Can someone let me know what the "old" presumably working CDs/ISOs are?

I am assuming that distro.ibiblio.org /pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/x86/1.4/livecd/i686 is the "current" and "stable" 1.4 portage...

I did read the x86 installation carefully, including the note about bindist, so I must be missing something obvious. Did you really mean

The first creates /usr/portage/packages/All/All, which isn't doesn't look right. Did you mean?

cp -a /mnt/cdrom/packages/All/* /usr/portage/packages/All

I am also a tad confused. Should I be copying stuff to /usr/portage/packages/All or should I be used PKGDIR (or does PKGDIR overrride the default location, which is /usr/portage/packages/All)?
quip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Details, those pesty details... Reply with quote

Many thanks.

ADVICE FOR THE NEXT PERSON:

0. Obviously make sure emerge sync works.
1. Do not attempt to overwrite the contents of /usr/portage yourself. Fetch the appropriate ISO/CDs from the subdirectory of choice (e.g. Pentium3, i686, etc.) from under .../gentoo/releases/x86/1.4/livecd/
2. Copy the contents of .../packages, retaining the "All" subdirectory, fetching the contents of both ISO/CDs. (hint: mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop)
3. Be sure PKGDIR is correctly defined to the parent of "All".

Code:
export PKGDIR="/path/to/packages
USE="bindist" emerge -k xfree

[/list]
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: