Jack - the mean (audio) machine.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhaozhou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Jack - the mean (audio) machine. Reply with quote

Foreword:
I am in no mean an expert on Jack, I've just recently started using it, and I fell in love with it instantly. I write this in hopes of it growing in popularity, and maybe - through the butterfly effect - mumble can get jack support.
Also, I haven't experimented with midi inputs.

This HOWTO is rather simple, I'm sure most Gentoo users can figure this stuff out themselves. :)

Alsa is boring.
We all know it. We do Linux because it's fun. Alsa is rather boring. You install it and it's there, nothing more and nothing less. That's rather sad when Jack is so easy to install and so fun to use.
You will still need alsa support though, as Jack uses alsa (you could go with OSS if you wish, although I don't know why you would do that.)

Install.
Firstly, you'll want to turn on the 'jack' USE-flag, at least for the applications you want to use with jack.
Then, just do:
Code:

emerge jack-audio-connection-kit qjackctl

(note: If you don't want to use a QT application (the QT library is big), you could use patchage for example. If you don't want GTK either there are a few more controls, check the list at the bottom.)
And to start the server:
Code:

jackd -d alsa # or oss, if you like.

Hopefully everything went well and you've got jack. But let's explore some of the fun jack has to offer.

Routing
Start up qjackctl and press the 'connect' button.
http://omploader.org/vNTh5ZA/connections.png < simple routing.
Readable clients are applications with audio output you can use.
Writable clients are applications which can route audio through them or speakers.

Right about now you should start to see the endless possibilities with jack.
But for the heck of it, let me show you a great application - jamin.
http://omploader.org/vNTh5aA/jamin.png < screenshot of jamin.
You can have multiple instances of jamin running as well.

Or, you could just get a mixer and finally be able to control the volume of your applications easily.

I'll leave it up to you to explore jack, and I'll get you started with this list.

Have fun!
pactoo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack - the mean (audio) machine. Reply with quote

Zhaozhou wrote:

Code:

jackd -d alsa # or oss, if you like.

Actually not that easy when you have more than one soundcard or if your have a multiple channel soundcard. Or if you have an USB soundcard, that requires a fixed frequency (which, of course, you do not know).
And as soon as you have to find out the correct hardware device for your soundcard and the subdevice (or channel), alsa isn't boring any more, it's more like pestillence. Gets even better, when you have an spdif output that requires some strange flag to be set to be activated.
And what are you doing, when your log shows all those little xruns?

Not to argue, jack is great and I never understood why pulseaudio has become the de fact standard for all big distros, but it is not always that easy. Still, thanks for your work!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: