Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sts
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Earth wrote:
notageek wrote:
I was reading about this today, I'm withholding judgement until there is more information.

It seems odd to claim a failed design when this is the only incident of this nature that I have heard of with the plane.

Airplane engines are usually overbuilt to extremely conservative specifications so things like this never happen. A catastrophic engine failure during a normal flight is bad.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's wrong to call design flaw of airplane when it is an engine failure.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
I think it's wrong to call design flaw of airplane when it is an engine failure.

I think someone hurtling towards earth in a barely aerodynamic mountain of steel with two blazing, molten blobs of metal instead of engines might want to contest that statement.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
The first sentence of the article refers to it as an engine design flaw...
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily it has 4 engines. ;)
hellbringer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Earth wrote:
Another one

Quote:
Another Qantas plane has made an emergency landing after suffering an engine problem shortly after take-off.

Channel News Asia said flight QF6 had turned back to Singapore after a malfunction with engine one.
On Thursday, a Qantas Airbus A380 superjumbo made an emergency landing in Singapore after one of its four engines suffered a blow-out.

So now it's not an isolated incident.

I thought the new incident was on a boeing, do they fit rolls royce engines too? If so it certainly would seem as an engine failure. OTOH a total engine failure/blast is really weird. Only common things I can see in both cases if the boeing is not using the same engine would be fuel, particles/shit in the air or faulty mantainance.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this is getting interesting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11702365
Quote:

A Qantas airline jumbo jet has made an emergency landing in Singapore because of an engine problem.

The Boeing 747-400 turned back shortly after take-off from Changi Airport, airline officials said.

They havn't mentioned what engine variant this 747 is (the 747-400 can take RR,GE or PW) BUT for an airline to have major engine issues on two completely different aircraft type AND different engines the only commonality is the airline

This witchhunt by america towards another british company might not turn out so well for those waving their pitchforks.

On an aside: yes an engine failure is a major thing BUT a failure is inevitable THAT is why there is this number of engines on large aircraft (for an aircraft to fly one of the great circle routes they need 4 engines - still not to sure how the 787 got the clearance).
You would be surprised at the number of in-flight system shutdowns/failures there are. What helps is the amount of redundancy around the entire aircraft. Just unfortunate that this was such a visible failure.
This just adds to the failure count meaning that the engines cannot fail again for quite a large number of flight hours otherwise eyes will start to stare

Last edited by Naib on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 747 was equipped with the same model RR engines.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Earth wrote:
Another one

Quote:
Another Qantas plane has made an emergency landing after suffering an engine problem shortly after take-off.

Channel News Asia said flight QF6 had turned back to Singapore after a malfunction with engine one.
On Thursday, a Qantas Airbus A380 superjumbo made an emergency landing in Singapore after one of its four engines suffered a blow-out.

For that airline.

YEs 747's use RR but this particular variant (the 757-400) can take RR,GE,PW and it isn't, as of yet been mentioned what engine type has been deployed.
Lets for an instance assume it is a RR version. The T900 is COMPLETELY different (beside from concept) to the type that could be on this aircraft

I am interested in how such things can happen so close together from the same airline

Last edited by Naib on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:

No it is not, The T900 is ONLY for the A380. Also most aircraft end up having a dedicated engine designed for it now they may be based upon an earlier variant BUT not in the T900 case (one of the highest thrust commercial yet engine, also RR changed FADEC producer)
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Old School wrote:

No it is not, The T900 is ONLY for the A380. Also most aircraft end up having a dedicated engine designed for it now they may be based upon an earlier variant BUT not in the T900 case (one of the highest thrust commercial yet engine, also RR changed FADEC producer)

Yeah. The story I read has been updated. It was not the same series of engines.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Naib wrote:
Old School wrote:

Yeah. The story I read has been updated. It was not the same series of engines.

See it is shit reporting that spins stuff like this out of control
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
I am interested in how such things can happen so close together from the same airline

Singapore & Quantas

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
This witchhunt by america towards another british company might not turn out so well for those waving their pitchforks.

Don't be such a naive and willing victim of opportunistic FUD-mongering "journalism". Where did you get your information from that there's a "witchhunt by America toward another British company"?

Oh, just from that article, which you apparently didn't even read completely? :?

Perhaps you didn't notice, but it completely without a source, and apparently entirely and quite loosely based upon this harmless comment by some British business school professor.
Quote:
Joe Lampel, a professor at Cass Business School in London, said Rolls-Royce was a serious competitor to the US engine makers GE and Pratt & Whitney, forming a rivalry that mirrored the tensions between the US giant Boeing and Europe's Airbus.

"The news [of Thursday's emergency landing] is attracting a lot of attention in North America, where the parallels between BP and Rolls-Royce are not too far from the mind of some observers," said Lampel, speaking before the second incident.

Wow. I'm impressed. Some unknown business school dick claims that some un-named "observers" see "parallels" in their "mind" between this and the BP situation. One engine failure equates to a gazillion-gallon environmental catastrophe raging unabated for months? What a fact-filled, well-substantiated, and highly logical story! :roll:

People: pull your heads out, for Christ's sake. Somebody is probably just hoping for a chance to pick up some Rolls-Royce stock below market value.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Earth wrote:
Another one

Quote:

As I said before the second incident (this one) is with a 747.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Naib wrote:

Don't be such a naive and willing victim of opportunistic FUD-mongering "journalism". Where did you get your information from that there's a "witchhunt by America toward another British company"?

Oh, just from that article, which you apparently didn't even read completely? :?

Perhaps you didn't notice, but it completely without a source, and apparently entirely and quite loosely based upon this harmless comment by some British business school professor.
Quote:
Joe Lampel, a professor at Cass Business School in London, said Rolls-Royce was a serious competitor to the US engine makers GE and Pratt & Whitney, forming a rivalry that mirrored the tensions between the US giant Boeing and Europe's Airbus.

"The news [of Thursday's emergency landing] is attracting a lot of attention in North America, where the parallels between BP and Rolls-Royce are not too far from the mind of some observers," said Lampel, speaking before the second incident.

Wow. I'm impressed. Some unknown business school dick claims that some un-named "observers" see "parallels" in their "mind" between this and the BP situation. One engine failure equates to a gazillion-gallon environmental catastrophe raging unabated for months? What a fact-filled, well-substantiated, and highly logical story! :roll:

People: pull your heads out, for Christ's sake. Somebody is probably just hoping for a chance to pick up some Rolls-Royce stock below market value.

I see you would rather rage then discuss the topic at hand. Thats ok, you are just an angry little man
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Naib wrote:

Quote:

I see you would rather rage then discuss the topic at hand. Thats ok, you are just an angry little man

I'm an "angry little man"? Who's the one who waded into this talking about "another witchhunt by America toward another British company". :roll:
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Naib wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Naib wrote:

Quote:

I'm an "angry little man"? Who's the one who waded into this talking about "another witchhunt by America toward another British company". :roll:

Like I said, you are more interested in QQ about an opinion, one that it seems you share, then the topic at hand, that FUD is being spread as well as a 2nd jet from the same airline has had engine troubles.

I suppose this thread has nothing todo with obama so you are like a fish out of water. I am sure obama is right now doing something you disagree on, why don't you post on that, technology topics don't seem to be your thing
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no witch hunt. Pure and simple. I don't even here anything regarding BP.
sts
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People should be in jail. Especially now we know that both Halliburton and BP were aware the cement mix was unstable.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
... the topic at hand, that FUD is being spread as well as a 2nd jet from the same airline has had engine troubles.

I'm am on topic.

FUD is being spread by a British publication, who claims as their weak source a British business school professor.

You claim this constitutes a "witchhunt by America toward another British company".

I call bullshit.

When the White House "expresses concern over the safety of Rolls Royce aircraft engines for the American public", or something like that, then I'll be all over Obama for fucking with the British again. But I haven't seen anything like that. Have you?
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
petrjanda wrote:
The first sentence of the article refers to it as an engine design flaw...

I was refering to the title of this thread.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

A Qantas airline jumbo jet has made an emergency landing in Singapore because of an engine problem.

I think its becoming clear that sabotage is an option now too. Same airline, same airport, different engines(however same brand), different aircraft.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolls-Royce has been making aircraft engines forever and has made many of the best. Aside from the self-crashing autopilot fiasco, Airbus aircraft have been generally excellent.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different components, different engines, different planes. One thing is common: unions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: