About dups...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarathustra[H]
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: About dups... Reply with quote

Hey.

First off I apologize, I must be a notorious dup poster by now and I know that really bothers some people.

I agree perfectly well with the arguments for searching the forums first (which I always do), and I solve most of my gentoo problems wihtout ever having to post a thread. If a couple slip thorugh thouhg, that actually happen to be dups, I wouldnt mind if someone could be polite about it instead of badmouthing people becasue of it.

Truth is, the search engine on this, or any other forum is not perfect, and things will slip through. This depends on a number of thins (among them, tnot knowing the exact keywords to search for, words being misspelled in posts, getting so many hits on your search that it is completely impossible to sift through them all, and trying to search for tersm the search doesent accept like seqarching for 2.6.0 wint give you any hits even though they are out there.

The plain and simple fact is, dups happen and a lot of the time it really isnt anyone's fault. More dups happen in topics were there is more interest (an example the recent slashdot benchmark)

So no matter how veteran you are, instread of being an ass about it why don't we all just chill out, deal with it, and if you come across a dup, reference the primary thread, and contact a moderator to close the dup.

It's simple, it works, and noone has to get hotheaded or go on rants.

Speaking of rants. Mine is over.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: About dups... Reply with quote

Zarathustra[H] wrote:
If a couple slip thorugh thouhg, that actually happen to be dups, I wouldnt mind if someone could be polite about it instead of badmouthing people becasue of it.
Anyone having difficulty with this request should be pointed to the Forum Guidelines (sticky post in News & Announcements forum).

Search is far from perfect (as many threads in this forum indicate), so all we ask is that people try to search first. Sometimes its obvious when they don't, most of the time, it is subjective.

Quote:
So no matter how veteran you are, instread of being an ass about it why don't we all just chill out, deal with it, and if you come across a dup, reference the primary thread, and contact a moderator to close the dup.
Also, please PM any moderator when a person "is an ass" about dup posts. If they can't deal with it politely, they can move on.

Quote:
It's simple, it works, and noone has to get hotheaded or go on rants.
Agreed. Sorry if you've been targeted by rude posters. Additionally though, using the 'Net often requires thick skin.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never witnessed any rude replys by Veterans (as you stated), could you please provide a few links?
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, let's not and say we did? :-)

I will vouch for the fact that they happen. I see no real benefit from dragging up old, bad posts (which have been resolved to the best of our ability here at the forums) and creating a thread of eye sores. Let's just say that much of what Zarathustra[H] has said rings very true and leave it at that. I don't think I could reply to his comments any better than pjp did, so I won't bother to try.
Zarathustra[H]
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:
Uh, let's not and say we did? :-)

I couldn't agree more.

We have no need for a flame-war thread aabout this. it probably wasn't even worth starting in the first place, but I was a little peaved when I wrote it.

My Bad,
Matt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: