halt problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: halt problem Reply with quote

I am using kde 3.02. Everytime I try to turn off my laptop. It only shutdown the system and I have to turn off the power myself. Is there a way to turn off the power automatically?

BTW, is there an ebuild for autorun?

Thanks.
trythil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to do a kernel rebuild. Enable APM support in [kernel configuration] -> General setup -> Power Management Support. You can also try ACPI support, but as that's been labeled [EXPERIMENTAL] (albeit for a year now...blargh), I can't really tell you what that'll do.

What do you mean by autorun? Are you talking about Windows Autorun? If that's the case, there's no ebuild package for that. I remember something about an auto-mount daemon (I know Solaris has one), but that's probably just wishful thinking.
bmb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response.

The autorun I am talking is actually kautorun. It can automatically mount the cdrom under kde. Redhat has it as defaut. But I counld not find an ebuild for gentoo.
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I compile with ACPI (I removed APM), I have a kernel panic when I boot.
And when I use APM, my computer stop the drives when I do halt, but it doesn't stop!

Who can shut down its computer normally with Gentoo, and how?
tomas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enable these options:
* Advanced Power Management BIOS support
* Use real mode APM BIOS call to power off
It works here (my comp. is not a laptop, though)
clacour
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Dell Latitude CP (an older laptop, if you're not familiar with Dell's line).

APM (the suspend function on the keyboard, entering "apm -s", etc) has always been one of the less solid pieces.

I have several hard drives for this machine, and one big one that has several different flavors of Linux on it. Depending on which distro and which version, sometimes it has worked faultlessly, sometimes not at all, and sometimes somewhere in between the two.

Other than the fact that it seems to be getting slowly better as time goes on, I haven't found any pattern to when it's good and when it's bad.

If I'm running X, and use the keyboard suspend function, it has been 100% reliable for me under Gentoo.

It has not been reliable without X running (which is decidedly weird). Since the keyboard thing is much more convenient most of the time than pulling up a command window and typing "apm -s", I can't really comment on how it would perform that way.

There are several options under APM in the kernel config. My only recommendation is to read the descriptions for each one, and see if anything seems to fit your symptoms.

I don't really know much at all about the guts of the process, but the impression I've gotten reading various posts on the subject is that the standard leaves a number of holes, several vendors only do a haphazard job of following the standard, and there are some pieces that require reverse engineering, which is always problematic.

The short version: it's a mess.

I just reread your post, and it sounds like your problem is even worse -- you can't do a "shutdown -h now" and have it work.

That's happened to me on a couple of distros, too. I just lived with it (and tended to avoid using those distros more than necessary.)

I'm almost certain at least one of the options for APM deals with it hanging on shutdown. Worth playing around with.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: