apple.com/trailers in firefox + imdb trailers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: apple.com/trailers in firefox + imdb trailers Reply with quote

Can anyone play these trailers - my firefox crashes as soon as I try to play any trailer.

Code:

rahul@googly ~ $ eix mplayerpl
[I] www-plugins/mplayerplug-in
     Available versions:  3.50 (~)3.55-r1 {divx firefox gmedia gtk linguas_cs linguas_da linguas_de linguas_en_US linguas_es linguas_fr linguas_hu linguas_it linguas_ja linguas_ko linguas_nb linguas_nl linguas_pl linguas_pt_BR linguas_ru linguas_se linguas_sk linguas_tr linguas_wa linguas_zh_CN nls quicktime realmedia seamonkey wmp xulrunner}
     Installed versions:  3.55-r1(10:21:08 01/06/09)(divx firefox gmedia linguas_en_US quicktime realmedia wmp xulrunner -gtk -linguas_cs -linguas_da -linguas_de -linguas_es -linguas_fr -linguas_hu -linguas_it -linguas_ja -linguas_ko -linguas_nb -linguas_nl -linguas_pl -linguas_pt_BR -linguas_ru -linguas_se -linguas_sk -linguas_tr -linguas_wa -linguas_zh_CN -seamonkey)
     Homepage:            http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/
     Description:         mplayer plug-in for Gecko based browsers

Code:
[I] www-client/mozilla-firefox
     Available versions:  2.0.0.19 3.0.10 3.0.11 (~)3.5_beta4-r1[1] (~)3.5_rc1[1] {bindist custom-optimization dbus debug filepicker gnome iceweasel ipv6 java linguas_af linguas_ar linguas_as linguas_be linguas_bg linguas_bn linguas_bn_BD linguas_bn_IN linguas_ca linguas_cs linguas_cy linguas_da linguas_de linguas_el linguas_en linguas_en_GB linguas_en_US linguas_eo linguas_es linguas_es_AR linguas_es_CL linguas_es_ES linguas_es_MX linguas_et linguas_eu linguas_fa linguas_fi linguas_fr linguas_fy linguas_fy_NL linguas_ga linguas_ga_IE linguas_gl linguas_gu linguas_gu_IN linguas_he linguas_hi linguas_hi_IN linguas_hr linguas_hu linguas_id linguas_is linguas_it linguas_ja linguas_ka linguas_kk linguas_kn linguas_ko linguas_ku linguas_lt linguas_lv linguas_mk linguas_ml linguas_mn linguas_mr linguas_nb linguas_nb_NO linguas_nl linguas_nn linguas_nn_NO linguas_oc linguas_or linguas_pa linguas_pa_IN linguas_pl linguas_pt linguas_pt_BR linguas_pt_PT linguas_ro linguas_ru linguas_si linguas_sk linguas_sl linguas_sq linguas_sr linguas_sv linguas_sv_SE linguas_ta linguas_ta_LK linguas_te linguas_th linguas_tr linguas_uk linguas_vi linguas_zh linguas_zh_CN linguas_zh_TW mozdevelop moznopango qt-experimental restrict-javascript startup-notification xforms xinerama xulrunner}
     Installed versions:  3.5_rc1[1](02:35:37 21/06/09)(custom-optimization dbus java linguas_en linguas_en_GB linguas_hi startup-notification -bindist -debug -gnome -iceweasel -linguas_af -linguas_ar -linguas_as -linguas_be -linguas_bg -linguas_bn -linguas_bn_BD -linguas_bn_IN -linguas_ca -linguas_cs -linguas_cy -linguas_da -linguas_de -linguas_el -linguas_en_US -linguas_eo -linguas_es -linguas_es_AR -linguas_es_CL -linguas_es_ES -linguas_es_MX -linguas_et -linguas_eu -linguas_fa -linguas_fi -linguas_fr -linguas_fy -linguas_fy_NL -linguas_ga -linguas_ga_IE -linguas_gl -linguas_gu -linguas_gu_IN -linguas_he -linguas_hi_IN -linguas_hr -linguas_hu -linguas_id -linguas_is -linguas_it -linguas_ja -linguas_ka -linguas_kk -linguas_kn -linguas_ko -linguas_ku -linguas_lt -linguas_lv -linguas_mk -linguas_ml -linguas_mr -linguas_nb -linguas_nb_NO -linguas_nl -linguas_nn -linguas_nn_NO -linguas_oc -linguas_or -linguas_pa -linguas_pa_IN -linguas_pl -linguas_pt -linguas_pt_BR -linguas_pt_PT -linguas_ro -linguas_ru -linguas_si -linguas_sk -linguas_sl -linguas_sq -linguas_sr -linguas_sv -linguas_sv_SE -linguas_ta -linguas_ta_LK -linguas_te -linguas_th -linguas_uk -linguas_vi -linguas_zh -linguas_zh_CN -linguas_zh_TW -mozdevelop -qt-experimental -restrict-javascript)
     Homepage:            http://www.mozilla.com/firefox
     Description:         Firefox Web Browser

I had the same problem with firefox-3.0 so I don't think it is 3.5 related.

EDIT: IMDB trailers also do not work with firefox - flash issue.

Last edited by rahulthewall on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:22 am; edited 2 times in total
michel7
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the same here, firefox seems to have some troubles with flash plugin
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's got nothing to do with flash - I disabled flash and then tried - it still crashes.

The rogue is mplayerplug-in-qt.so -> the quicktime plugin that comes along with mplayer.
Apple trailers require quicktime - no surprise there. :P
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though firefox of course has issues with flash - for example, imdb trailers do not work with firefox. (I like trailers, don't I?)
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mplayerplug-in is no longer developed. I recommend switching to gecko-mediaplayer.
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, thanks for that. gecko-mediaplayer is awesome. Apple trailers are working, now to get imdb trailers to work.
TinheadNed
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Avatar Reply with quote

Slight hijacking here, but I can't see the new Avatar trailer on apple's website with gecko-mediaplayer and firefox 3.5. No crashes, just doesn't work after clicking on any of the three links. Gnome-mplayer fires up and has a flid, looking like it's trying to parse html as a video, and then gives up.

Anyone seen avatar on linux from apple's website?
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Just chiming in here. I, too, am having problems viewing trailers on apple's site. This includes the avatar trailer. I have gecko player installed and am running it on KDE-4. All was working well for a while and then this happened.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

best,

Alex
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I did a bit of searching and found a solution to the problem. First, the problem is not the fault of gecko-mediaplayer, firefox, or otherwise. The fault is that Apple apparently wants people only to use their proprietary stuff. To enforce this, they've beefed up the 'security' on their website.

The solution lies in the firefox addon User Agent Switcher. Install it and then create a user agent with the following information in the second box down:

QuickTime/7.6.2 (qtver=7.6.2;os=Windows NT 5.1Service Pack 3)

The Apple website should now think you're using their junk and will let you watch the trailers. Frankly, this is worth publishing if you ask me. Apple seems to get a nice wholesome reputation when they, in fact, pull a lot of the same crap their biggest rival does. This is why I've got no interest in their products.

Best,

Alex
jmcross3
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

works like a charm for me ........... thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
niuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only see the bottom half of the trailers at apple. The heads etc are chopped off.
Is anyone else having that problem?
Bill Cosby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoweiss wrote:

This also works

Code:
QuickTime/fuckyouapple.0

kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoweiss wrote:
Hi all,

I did a bit of searching and found a solution to the problem. First, the problem is not the fault of gecko-mediaplayer, firefox, or otherwise. The fault is that Apple apparently wants people only to use their proprietary stuff. To enforce this, they've beefed up the 'security' on their website.

The solution lies in the firefox addon User Agent Switcher. Install it and then create a user agent with the following information in the second box down:

The Apple website should now think you're using their junk and will let you watch the trailers. Frankly, this is worth publishing if you ask me. Apple seems to get a nice wholesome reputation when they, in fact, pull a lot of the same crap their biggest rival does. This is why I've got no interest in their products.

Best,

Alex

thanks !

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
lordcris
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
apple.com/trailers now shows "QuickTime required. Free download"
do you know how to fix that?

i have www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-0.9.8

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/themessenger/
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordcris wrote:
Hi,
apple.com/trailers now shows "QuickTime required. Free download"
do you know how to fix that?

i have www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-0.9.8

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/themessenger/
Are you sure you have this version? The link works fine here with 0.9.8.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has to be >= 0.9.8 since the support for Apple Trailers was added to that version, 0.9.6 or 0.9.7 won't work. :?
lordcris
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

emerge -pv mozilla-firefox gecko-mediaplayer mplayer
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.5.3  USE="alsa dbus java mozdevelop startup-notification -bindist -custom-optimization -gnome -iceweasel -restrict-javascript" LINGUAS="-af -ar -as -be -bg -bn -bn_BD -bn_IN -ca -cs -cy -da -de -el -en -en_GB -en_US -eo -es -es_AR -es_CL -es_ES -es_MX -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -fy -fy_NL -ga -ga_IE -gl -gu -gu_IN -he -hi -hi_IN -hr -hu -id -is -it -ja -ka -kk -kn -ko -ku -lt -lv -mk -ml -mn -mr -nb -nb_NO -nl -nn -nn_NO -oc -or -pa -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -pt_PT -rm -ro -ru -si -sk -sl -sq -sr -sv -sv_SE -ta -ta_LK -te -th -tr -uk -vi -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-0.9.8  USE="-gnome" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20090919-r2  USE="X a52 aac alsa ass cddb cdio dirac dts dv dvd dvdnav enca encode faac faad gif iconv jpeg live mmx mp2 mp3 network opengl osdmenu png quicktime rar real rtc schroedinger shm speex sse2 ssse3 theora tremor truetype unicode vdpau vorbis win32codecs x264 xscreensaver xv xvid xvmc -3dnow -3dnowext -aalib (-altivec) -bidi -bindist -bl -cdparanoia -cpudetection -custom-cpuopts -debug -dga -directfb -doc -dvb -dxr3 -esd -fbcon -ftp -ggi -gmplayer -ipv6 -jack -joystick -ladspa -libcaca -lirc -lzo -mad -md5sum -mmxext -mng -nas -nut -openal -opencore-amr -oss -pnm -pulseaudio -pvr -radio -samba -sdl -sse -svga -teletext -tga -v4l -v4l2 -vidix -xanim -xinerama -zoran" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia -mga -s3virge -tdfx" 0 kB

Code:
The Elements of Your User Agent String Are:
Mozilla/5.0
X11
U
Linux i686
en-US
rv:1.9.1.3
Gecko/20090920 Gentoo Firefox/3.5.3

The Full Header Sent by Your Browser is:
HTTP_CONNECTION:keep-alive
HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE:300
HTTP_ACCEPT:text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET:ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING:gzip,deflate
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE:en-us,en;q=0.5
HTTP_COOKIE:ASPSESSIONIDQQQBCBAT=ENCOCBMCFBKGHJPNHFFLCLNL
HTTP_HOST:whatsmyuseragent.com
HTTP_REFERER:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.gentoo%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=XdD&q=what+is+my+browser+identification+string&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
HTTP_USER_AGENT:Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090920 Gentoo Firefox/3.5.3

things stopped working 10 days ago.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

works fine here ^^
Quote:
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
Connection: keep-alive
Host: www.grc.com
Referer: http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2
User-Agent: QuickTime/7.6.2
Cookie: tpag=nnhaepgvkku10; ppag=nnhaepgvkku10; tico=z4nsx1mckt0d5; pico=z4nsx1mckt0d5; tcss=ygw0vv2btgpcq; pcss=ygw0vv2btgpcq
Content-Length: 32
Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-15,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Keep-Alive: 300
FirstParty: https://www.grc.com
ThirdParty: https://www.grctech.com
Secure: https://www.grc.com
Nonsecure: http://www.grc.com
Session: 0fiaxv1osu05f

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
lordcris
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tired as root and it worked(?!).
than i unmerged and emerged again gecko-mediaplayer and it finally began working.
thank you all!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: