/var/tmp/portage: not enough space
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: /var/tmp/portage: not enough space Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't have enough free space on my root partition to compile openoffice (I have 7 GB, but apparently that is not enough). I created a folder on my home partition and made a symlink but that did not do it. Is there any way to go about this?

Cheers
Rahul

Last edited by rahulthewall on Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/var/tmp/storage? Did you mean /var/tmp/portage?
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He probably meant "/var/tmp storage.

rahulthewall, if you've got some free unpartitioned space, you can create a new partition and mount it at /var/tmp. Alternateively, you can use the GParted LiveCD to shrink and grow existing partitions to make more room. Be sure to have good backups if you follow the latter approach.

- John
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7GB should be more then enough. Maybe you just have some left overs after failed emerges? (yes, when emerge failes, everything stays :lol:) Try removing everything from there.
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant /var/tmp/portage.

And no, somehow, 7GB is somehow not enough.

Maybe it is because I have -ggdb in my CFLAGS. I have tried it thrice now - removing everything before, but it does not work.
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the error message and the related output of dmesg? Maybe you have not enough inodes.
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't post the error message, I deleted all the files in /var/tmp/portage -> the disk was completely full when the install broke down.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error messages would be recorded in /var/log/portage (not /var/tmp/portage) if appropriate logging is enabled but being out of space is a clear smoking gun. Almost always, the solution is to make more space available.

- John
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rahulthewall wrote:
Maybe it is because I have -ggdb in my CFLAGS.
Almost without doubt. The OpenOffice build needs 5-6GB free without debugging information. With debug symbols added...double that would not surprise me at all. 8O

Make more space available or get rid of -ggdb. Do you really need backtraces and debug symbols for OpenOffice--let alone your whole system?

rahulthewall wrote:
I created a folder on my home partition and made a symlink but that did not do it.
How exactly did it "not do it?" Build errors? Ran out of space again? ... ? This is a tried-and-true way to circumvent space limitations in /var/tmp, as I'm sure you know.

In order for the symlink trick to work, you must remove /var/tmp/portage, replace it with a symlink to a directory with enough space and ensure Portage has full access to that target. Better still, mount a spare partition over it as john_r_graham suggested. You may also be able to use a bind mount (mount --bind, see man mount) in place of a symlink.
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can create a folder portage in /home and set PORTAGE_TEMPDIR="/home" in /etc/make.conf.
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added the -ggdb flag because of this bug report.

The space problem was definitely because of the -ggdb flag because when I built openoffice without the flag space was not an issue.

However, I just cannot build openoffice-3.1. The behaviour is there after updating to firefox-3.5_rc1 which updated dev-libs/nspr to version 4.8 from 4.7.4 (which is the most recent one in portage). Rebuilt openoffice, but it fails.
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=275149
Gooserider
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: Universe, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, North America, USA, MA, North Billerica

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem w/ /var overflowing when I was attempting to build - the thread that I started on the problem (I didn't find this one because I was searching on "emerge open office") just got moved to "duplicate threads" - about the same time I was about to mark it "solved". (If anyone cares, it's at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5967849.html#5967849)

My original setup had PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp with VAR being about 5G on an 80G drive.
Make.conf had FEATURES="ccache collision-protect distlocks fixpackages parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox"

I had about 40G in /home

One of the suggestions I got was to create a /home/var/tmp/portage directory structure, and symlink it to /var/tmp/portage. I did so, and made sure it was chmod 1777

I then got a bunch of write deny errors almost immediately with a pointer to a "sandbox.log" file. - much trimmed output...

Code:
ACCESS DENIED  open_wr:      /var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/.exit_status
/usr/lib/portage/bin/isolated-functions.sh: line 150: /var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/.exit_status: Permission denied
--------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE "/var/log/sandbox/sandbox-26805.log"

VERSION 1.0
FORMAT: F - Function called
FORMAT: S - Access Status
FORMAT: P - Path as passed to function
FORMAT: A - Absolute Path (not canonical)
FORMAT: R - Canonical Path
FORMAT: C - Command Line

F: open_wr
S: deny
P: /var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/temp/environment.filtered
A: /var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/temp/environment.filtered
R: /home/var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/temp/environment.filtered
C: /bin/bash /usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh unpack

So making the guess that it was due to the "sandbox" and "usersandbox" feature settings, I deleted them from make.conf. Initially I tried just deleting "sandbox" but that didn't do it, so I deleted "usersandbox" as well, and it started compiling - all looked OK so I went to bed...

This morning I found that it appeared to have compiled completely, and then died with the same sort of access violation issues at the install stage - again the main error

Code:

=============
Building module instsetoo_native
Running processes: 1
Running processes: 2
Running processes: 3
/home/var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/work/ooo/build/ooo300-m9/instsetoo_native/inc_openoffice/unix
/home/var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/work/ooo/build/ooo300-m9/instsetoo_native/macosx
/home/var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/work/ooo/build/ooo300-m9/instsetoo_native/inc_openoffice/windows/msi_languages
mkout -- version: 1.8
-------------
Running processes: 2
Nothing to build for OS LINUX and GUIBASE unx
-------------
Running processes: 0
/home/var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/work/ooo/build/ooo300-m9/instsetoo_native/util
-------------
No EPM: do no packaging at this stage
Running processes: 0

Multiprocessing build is finished
Maximal number of processes run: 3
rmdir /tmp/14985
Build succeeded ...!
touch stamp/build
>>> Source compiled.
>>> Test phase [not enabled]: app-office/openoffice-3.0.0
ACCESS DENIED  open_wr:      /var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/temp/environment.filtered
/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 1666: /var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/temp/environment.filtered: Permission denied
ACCESS DENIED  open_wr:      /var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/temp/logging/install
/usr/lib/portage/bin/isolated-functions.sh: line 186: /var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/temp/logging/install: Permission denied

<TRIM>

ACCESS DENIED  open_wr:      /var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/.exit_status
/usr/lib/portage/bin/isolated-functions.sh: line 150: /var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/.exit_status: Permission denied
--------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE "/var/log/sandbox/sandbox-13047.log"

VERSION 1.0
FORMAT: F - Function called
FORMAT: S - Access Status
FORMAT: P - Path as passed to function
FORMAT: A - Absolute Path (not canonical)
FORMAT: R - Canonical Path
FORMAT: C - Command Line

F: open_wr
S: deny
P: /var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/temp/environment.filtered
A: /var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/temp/environment.filtered
R: /home/var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/temp/environment.filtered
C: /bin/bash /usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh install

As an experiment, I decided to try doing the following -

1. Completely changed the Portage Temporary directory from PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp to PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/home/var/tmp.

However by default that points indirectly to the ccache directory, so I also changed CCACHE_DIR="${PORTAGE_TMPDIR}/ccache" to CCACHE_DIR=/var/tmp/ccache in order to keep the same ccache location.

2. Eliminated all items in the Portage "FEATURES" line, except for ccache

This time it worked, and installed completely...

I can't say exactly which step I did that actually totally solved the problem and made everything work, but thought I'd post what I did in case it might help others more than just the earlier suggestions.

Gooserider
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gooserider wrote:
As an experiment, I decided to try doing the following -

1. Completely changed the Portage Temporary directory from PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp to PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/home/var/tmp.

However by default that points indirectly to the ccache directory, so I also changed CCACHE_DIR="${PORTAGE_TMPDIR}/ccache" to CCACHE_DIR=/var/tmp/ccache in order to keep the same ccache location.

2. Eliminated all items in the Portage "FEATURES" line, except for ccache

This time it worked, and installed completely...

Very nice, I'm going to remember that one. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: