ALSA modules not unloading automatically
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbreith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: ALSA modules not unloading automatically Reply with quote

I recently updated the system and now the computer hangs when shutting down or rebooting. It gets to the point of killing processes running ALSA and completes that successfully; then it hangs when unloading the ALSA modules. If I unload the sound modules manually, then the computer shuts down fine although it does complain that ALSA is not running when it goes to turn it off.

I did not change to a new kernel during the update, although I think I saw ALSA as one of the programs that was updated. I don't use the in-kernel ALSA. I have to pass some parameters to it as it loads in order for the sound card to work. (Yes, I am aware that it can still be done during boot time, but it usually works just fine using the external drivers)

I have already tried running depmod, but that didn't fix it. Does anyone know why the modules would be failing to unload automatically during shut down, but will unload fine manually, and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks.
MarkZ87
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about searching the forums first before posting?

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-769208-highlight-unloading+alsa+modules.html
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several threads on the forum that address alsa problems not unloading.
Whether they are related or not I cannot say.
I` ve had the same issue recently with ALSA as kernel module and kernel 2.6.29-r5
x86_64 and alsa-utils-1.0.18. I don` t know whether it was caused by the new kernel or
the upgrade to alsa-utils-1.0.18 though. /etc/init.d/alsasound has not been changed
in any way but shutting down stopped on unloading ALSA modules and sat there.

I` ve patched alsasound as described here . From then on the issue was gone.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-768710-highlight-shutdown.html

Whether this will help you or not is uncertain as you say you don` t use the kernel ALSA
and you don` t say which kernel you have.
You will certainly have to look around for similarities to your issue in the other ALSA-not-unloading-
modules-on-shutdown-posts but patching is worth a try. :)

EDIT The thread doesn` t say how to patch alsasound. I am called apprentice here but in fact
I am still quite n00bish so I consulted the man page for patch. Download the patch from bugs.gentoo.org
https://bugs.gentoo.org/232875. I took alsa-rmmod-topsort.patch ( copied it into /etc/init.d/ and removed
it from there later)
into a directory of your choice. Cd as root into /etc/init.d/ and do
Code:
patch -b alsasound <PATH-TO-PATCHFILR>

The -b switch makes a backup of alsasound, called alsasound.orig. Thus you can always go back to the
old alsasound if problems arise. There won` t be any though. Try shutting down and see if the shutdown
process still halts or not. The mixer levels are being restored by the script as usual. Good luck. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: