Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo on Octane (IP30), can't get it working.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Badeu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on Octane (IP30), can't get it working. Reply with quote

[ Warning : the worst english you have ever read can be in this post :D ]

Hi everybody !

I'm currently trying to install Gentoo on my SGI Octane but i'm experiencing lot of problems.

I'm netbooting the whole system with ip30 image from http://dev.gentoo.org/~kumba/mips/netboot/testing/, after that, following handbook, chrooting in stage3-mips4-2008, i'm facing a first issue : the system hangs when trying to execute any command (ex: env-update)

Second try with stage3-mips4-2007. With some tweaks, I achieve to boot in a minimal system. Trying to install X and everything go wrong with a lot of GCC (4.1.1) errors. After few tricks my sytem is fully broken... no problem, let's go for a third try.

This time, after chrooting and setting-up minimal settings, I'm trying to update GCC to latest version. Emerge fails on sandbox-2.0, impossible to go beyond this point. Ok i'm trying to hand emerging each dependencies of GCC except sandbox but system seems to fail after "emerge glibc" (with no surprise ?)

How can i get this workstation working with Gentoo ? Is there more precise information than gentoo mips handbook ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Morgan.
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, your English is excellent.

If you post exact errors, I think other people will be able to help more.

Also, in many cases you can solve your problems more quickly by asking on the #gentoo-mips or #mipslinux IRC channels on irc.freenode.net.
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there

yes, could you post the error log you get out ?

here i have an IP30 pretty working with gcc 4.1.2/binutils 2.18 and a home made stage4
to be honest i have to update to 2008.0 profile, i have no time at the moment, but ... i am curious about issues from the news stages

anyway this can really help about understanding what we have to fix
Badeu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi !

with stage3-mips4-2008 the error is quite simple : the octane hangs with no error message when entering in the chroot environment and trying to execute any command. Keyboard stops responding and when i push the power button there's a message to tell me the system is going to shutdown but nothing else happens.

with stage3-mips4-2007, when i trying to upgrade GCC to 4.1.2 and binutils to 2.18, emerge fails on sandbox 2.0 with errors about undefined references to :
unlinkat_pre_check
openat64_pre_check
mkdirat_pre_check
openat_pre_check
openat64_pre_check

if i try to hand emerging each dependencies of GCC, after emerging glibc, every python scripts fail including emerge.
Last time, i've tried with 2007.1-dev profile.

Morgan.
nuts
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

up, I'm trying to install gentoo on my octane too. I boot on the latest ip30 image and it's cool, but, when I chroot on /gentoo, I have several bugs, I can't use portage, I can't update it and I can't install the kernel. I have a trouble with rm command: for example:
Code:
# touch /root/toto
# rm /root/toto
rm: cannot remove `/root/toto`: Unknown error 4294967207

I have the same error when I try to install everything.

edit: I tried stage3-2007.0 too, rm forks but after emerge --sync, I can't installed anything due to all needed packages are masked
gtbX
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
up, I'm trying to install gentoo on my octane too. I boot on the latest ip30 image and it's cool, but, when I chroot on /gentoo, I have several bugs, I can't use portage, I can't update it and I can't install the kernel. I have a trouble with rm command: for example:
Code:

# touch /root/toto
# rm /root/toto
rm: cannot remove `/root/toto`: Unknown error 4294967207

I have the same error when I try to install everything.

I ran into this issue a few months ago with my IP22 machine. The problem was the kernel in the boot image is too old to run the binaries in the stages. I got around it by installing crossdev on my amd64 machine and compiling a new kernel there:

Code:

# emerge crossdev
# crossdev -t mips  # you may need a different arch for IP30, such as mips64
# emerge mips-sources
# make menuconfig   # follow kernel building instructions in the handbook for mips
# make CROSS_COMPILE="mips-unknown-linux-gnu-" ...

(or some variant of that) In the end, you should have a kernel that will work with the newer stages. Install it along with your stage of choice. You'll have to skip the chroot step and come back to the parts you missed after you get a bootable system. Then again, this was a few months ago, I may be missing a few details :?

Also, one of the first things you'll want to do once it is booting is rebuild GCC. The supplied one lacks c++ support (at least it did) which you'll need once you start compiling stuff.
nuts
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found in this forum how to install stage3 with a newer kernel (2.6.19) but, the newest kernels don't support ip30 and arcload doesnot work
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: